Question about image scaling on an HP monitor

Jaa-Yoo

Limp Gawd
At work we have this dual monitor setup with an HP 20" 1600x1200 and an HP 22" 1680x1050. The screen res is to 2048x768 so that it spans both monitors. The 4:3 monitor displays this perfectly and the 16:10 monitor stretches it, but it doesnt bother anyone since that screen only displays trend data.
Anyway, we needed to bump up the res to fit 1024 tall images properly, but when we do that, the 16:10 monitor displays it really bad and everything on that monitor slows to a crawl, it seems to draw very slowly.
Our tech insists its the video card (some matrox model) but i think its really the monitor having a difficult time processing 1024 tall into 1050. Would i be correct in assuming this?

Thanks

Any good science teacher will tell you not to assume anything; test it and find out. With that said, I would guess that your tech is right. The resolution in question is probubly not supported by the scaler in the display so the graphics card has to fake it. Matrox was known for pore performance. Try a resolution that is higher than 1024. It could be that the graphics card is running out of onboard ram. do you know how much ram is on the card? Google the specs on both the monitor and the graphics card, the more info you have the better.

Dave

Hmm, the graphics card shouldnt be faking anything. If the res is set, then thats what the card pumps out, its up to the monitor to make use of that data and display it properly. I believe 1024 was the max res height, i'll have to check again. Oh, i just thought of an easy test; Since the 1600x1200 monitor is displaying just fine, i'll simply swap them and see what result i get. :)

Thanks!

Hmm, the graphics card shouldnt be faking anything. If the res is set, then thats what the card pumps out, its up to the monitor to make use of that data and display it properly. I believe 1024 was the max res height, i'll have to check again. Oh, i just thought of an easy test; Since the 1600x1200 monitor is displaying just fine, i'll simply swap them and see what result i get. :)

Thanks!

Graphics cards can be responsible for scaling.

Back