Limp Gawd
Hello,

I would love to have some advices about my new build

I've ordered the 13700kf and its on its way but I'm having second thoughts :

I have a TUF 4090
I ordered a Strix Gaming Z790-F
My Aio is Is a Ryujin 360 with A12x25 fans,
My PSU is a Seasonic Prime TX1000 Titanium

I'm quite freaking easily about temps and even if the 13700kf won't be as warm as the I9 (I hope so?), i'm still a bit worried about it..

Will my psu be fine (no oc planned for now) and will my aio be good for the cpu?

I've seen there is way to limit power draw of the cpu without losing that much performances, I hope a proper tutorial will be available soon to do so!

What kind of usage are you planning for it? Are you gaming at 4k 120+ ?

As much as the power hungriness of these parts have been talked about 1000 watts should be good especially if you're not pushing an oc. I've got 4090 and 13700k too so I'll run some tests on power usage if it'd give you peace of mind.

I have a 13700kf coming in next week myself. I just game on my system and have a 1000w PSU to go along with my 4090. I'm not expecting any issues at all. Aio should be good if you aren't running renders 24/7.

I'd like to build a similar setup. My current X99 build has an old EVGA Supernova 1300 G2, I assume that should handle it? I assume even though it's 7yrs old it should still be good, correct? That PSU was the only one in it's price range I could find that would push a 1080Ti SLI setup (yes, I actually had 1080Ti SLI at one point).

Should be absolutely fine. BIOS wattage limits are pretty standard and easy to suss out, but even on auto you have half the e-cores so I would SWAG it at 250W auto everything. 450W for the 4090, leaves you 300W. Plenty for a bunch of fans RGB, HDDs, whatever else.

I don't have a newer asus but I'll see if I can give you an idea on the bios on an older model.

I'd like to build a similar setup. My current X99 build has an old EVGA Supernova 1300 G2, I assume that should handle it? I assume even though it's 7yrs old it should still be good, correct? That PSU was the only one in it's price range I could find that would push a 1080Ti SLI setup (yes, I actually had 1080Ti SLI at one point).
Yeah should be fine. Check if it is single rail or multi on the sticker, but an 850W would be the bare minimum, even with Capacitor degradation over time you'll be well over that. Single rail will say something like +12V x 90A 1080W, while multis usually say +12V1, +12V2, +12V3, 4 etc...

I haven't done a deep dive on the few issues people had with the 2x1 or 4x1 power adapter cables, but my guess is it was an older-designed multi-rail PSU that wasn't balancing the load correctly. They were getting like 25 amps on one cable and almost none on the other, a single shouldn't do that.

Yeah should be fine. Check if it is single rail or multi on the sticker, but an 850W would be the bare minimum, even with Capacitor degradation over time you'll be well over that. Single rail will say something like +12V x 90A 1080W, while multis usually say +12V1, +12V2, +12V3, 4 etc...

I haven't done a deep dive on the few issues people had with the 2x1 or 4x1 power adapter cables, but my guess is it was an older-designed multi-rail PSU that wasn't balancing the load correctly. They were getting like 25 amps on one cable and almost none on the other, a single shouldn't do that.
http://www.turnhardware.net/images/201612/1417572920xIZRDi5XIp_2_6.gif

Should be able to handle it? Looks to be single rail. They still sell these today. Good PS.

Thanks for the answers!
I will mostly gaming but also do work (adobe suite, small videos nothing crazy)

I don't need to get a new psu or go for an Atx3 1200w when they are more available?

For the people having a 13700k @ 4k what are your gaming temps?

Also should I get this Thermalright LGA1700-BCF Intel 12e génération, Boucle Anti-Flexion, Plaque de Pression incurvée, Boucle de Fixation CPU, fixateur de Correction de Flexion de contrainte CPU (Noir) https://amzn.eu/d/36s48Z6?

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers!
I will mostly gaming but also do work (adobe suite, small videos nothing crazy)

I don't need to get a new psu or go for an Atx3 1200w when they are more available?

For the people having a 13700k @ 4k what are your gaming temps?

Also should I get this Thermalright LGA1700-BCF Intel 12e génération, Boucle Anti-Flexion, Plaque de Pression incurvée, Boucle de Fixation CPU, fixateur de Correction de Flexion de contrainte CPU (Noir) https://amzn.eu/d/36s48Z6?
Power shouldn't be an issue unless you just want to get ATX 3.0 PSU. I've been testing on Cyberpunk 2077 on a 4090/137000k setup with a 4k 240hz monitor. Whole system draw is averaging between 550-600 watts non-overclocked and with a little undervolting to improve efficiency. CPU temps are in the mid 60s but maybe there are more challenging games for this processor.

Power shouldn't be an issue unless you just want to get ATX 3.0 PSU. I've been testing on Cyberpunk 2077 on a 4090/137000k setup with a 4k 240hz monitor. Whole system draw is averaging between 550-600 watts non-overclocked and with a little undervolting to improve efficiency. CPU temps are in the mid 60s but maybe there are more challenging games for this processor.
Oh cool and reassuring ! What is your cooling?

Oh cool and reassuring ! What is your cooling?
I'm using the NH-D15 chromax.black. I've also ordered the thermaltake contact frame to see if that helps at all. For gaming I don't really have concern but I want to test out a modest overclock and any benchmarking or stress testing hits thermal throttling too quickly to be useful.

Got mine and installed it. From the test I did performing 10 minute run in cinebench temperatures were on average 2 degrees cooler after installing the plate. Going to run it again after another day to see if there's any other change after letting the the paste dry, but I'm not expecting any major shifts.

I did a cb23, got 30310 points cpu max temps at 91 but average 76 during the test. Is it good?

I did a cb23, got 30310 points cpu max temps at 91 but average 76 during the test. Is it good?
I'm just going to take what you said here and in some of the other threads you made and respond to it all here to try to keep it in one place.

That's about on par with what I get from mine at default. Yes, default voltage ran rather high for me as well. I was able to pass a cinebench run dropping all the way down to around 1.16 like you too but its not really stable. I've just been keeping my voltage to around 1.25 at load under adaptive for now. Still need to do long term stability testing to be sure. Core temps max out in the mid/upper 80s during cinebench run. These chips just run hot, if you're able to keep it under thermal throttle in stress testing it will be more than fine in gaming.

Also I have an issue that I think it's coil whine of the vrm, not that bad but I'm very noise sensitivz

The board is an Asus strix z790 gaming - e

I've disabled c state and it helps a little too but now the cpu is almost constant at 5,3, is it OK?

I don't notice any coil whine but I'm using a Gigabyte z690 board so I can't be of much help. Without c state you'll be using more power but it shouldn't be anything crazy without a load on your processor.

I've lowered vcore and coil whine seems to be gone :)

R23
Vcore 1.31
Llc4

Is this good?
20221030_140128.jpgScreenshot_20221030-161116_Gallery.jpg

Also i've seen this setting in bios, should I enable it? 20221030_122030.jpg

Attachments

• received_495344292534095.webp
    117.3 KB · Views: 1
I've lowered vcore and coil whine seems to be gone :)
Nice. It looks like that acoustic noise setting would be for that setting you described so you could turn back on c state if you'd like. The rest is looking good, I would just make sure everything is stable with the lowered voltage in a more robust stress test. Cinebench is great for finding a quick starting point to test voltage but you usually need a little bit more.

Are my scores and temps good?
I put back c state / disabled advanced c state and let vcore at 1.315 / llc 3 (auto)

The coil whine seems to be gone

Are my scores and temps good?
I put back c state / disabled advanced c state and let vcore at 1.315 / llc 3 (auto)

The coil whine seems to be gone
Yeah. I was getting around 30400 at default clocks. It's paired with GSkill RAM running at 6200mhz, it's a 6400mhz kit but has stability issues running at the xmp default settings so I backed it off a little.

And I do think your temperatures are as good as you can get with this processor. I now have mine in a big oversized watercooling loop and can play around with OCing and voltages without immediately reaching thermal throttle. Even then this thing still runs hot when stress testing, but beyond that you just don't need to worry about it so much when actually gaming. There's nothing that I know of that's going to put so much of a load on this thing for you to be worried. Just run OCCT to confirm you're stable at your voltage if you've only run cinebench so far.

I left everything stock except vcore which I lowered to 1.315, it was 1.376 at stock. Went from 91c max to 81 on cb23

In games depending on games it goes from low 50 to 65c.

Haven't tried to use an offset but is it better?

What's the best way to set it up or use adaptive voltage?

Thanks again

I left everything stock except vcore which I lowered to 1.315, it was 1.376 at stock. Went from 91c max to 81 on cb23

In games depending on games it goes from low 50 to 65c.

Haven't tried to use an offset but is it better?

What's the best way to set it up or use adaptive voltage?

Thanks again
Adaptive won't lower your temperature under load but the advantage is that it will run at a lower voltage at idle or whenever your computer isn't at full speed. Adaptive voltage automatically sets a voltage by frequency and offset is an amount you manually specify to alter voltages.

So if your processor was to get 1.3v running at 5300 at load if you set a -.050 offset that would become 1.25v. That offset applies down to all frequencies and if for example your CPU downclocks to 1100 when idle and it only gets 0.750 under adaptive which means an offset could cause instability on that lower end.

There's a newer method available called VF Point offset or Per Point Voltage and that lets you specify the offset along certain points in the voltage/frequency curve. I've been using that with an offset voltage only applied to CF points 7,8, and 9 (which correspond to 52x, 53x, and 54x) respectively.) This is with using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, for some reason it only applies the offset to the three of those when I change them. It may work better by doing it in the bios but I like using Intel XTU for quickly finding and testing settings without restarting.

Adaptive won't lower your temperature under load but the advantage is that it will run at a lower voltage at idle or whenever your computer isn't at full speed. Adaptive voltage automatically sets a voltage by frequency and offset is an amount you manually specify to alter voltages.

So if your processor was to get 1.3v running at 5300 at load if you set a -.050 offset that would become 1.25v. That offset applies down to all frequencies and if for example your CPU downclocks to 1100 when idle and it only gets 0.750 under adaptive which means an offset could cause instability on that lower end.

There's a newer method available called VF Point offset or Per Point Voltage and that lets you specify the offset along certain points in the voltage/frequency curve. I've been using that with an offset voltage only applied to CF points 7,8, and 9 (which correspond to 52x, 53x, and 54x) respectively.) This is with using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, for some reason it only applies the offset to the three of those when I change them. It may work better by doing it in the bios but I like using Intel XTU for quickly finding and testing settings without restarting.
On idle my cpu lower the frequency already even on manual vcore though) 0.8/0.7

Could I leave it as it is and it will be fine?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221102-105102_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221102-105102_Gallery.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 0
On idle my cpu lower the frequency already even on manual vcore though) 0.8/0.7

Could I leave it as it is and it will be fine?
Yes, you can leave it as it is. Everything already looks good with your setup and you have improved your temperatures.
The frequency will still drop in manual mode but the vcore won't adjust other than vdroop. The VID shows what the CPU is requesting but that is overriden by the manual vcore set. In adaptive mode your vcore would be adjusted to match closer to what the processor is requesting +/- any offset you apply. But these voltages only apply to more idle processor states when it doesn't have a high power draw in the first place so the power and temperature savings aren't as impactful as they are under high load. But I like having it set to adaptive for better system efficiency since I have it on most of the day.

I just tried 1.25 llc 6 but i'm a bit surprised by the vdrop or is it normal / fine?

Attachments

• 1.23 llc6 .png
    1.23 llc6 .png
    243.9 KB · Views: 0
Is adaptive = offset? I don't see adaptive mode in bios
Different motherboards may have it labeled differently but offset would generally refer to adaptive mode.
I just tried 1.25 llc 6 but i'm a bit surprised by the vdrop or is it normal / fine?
Is that on fixed voltage? I would have expected the more aggressive llc setting to keep the voltage much closer to what you set it to. But in general voltage drop is perfectly normal and just something to account for when determining your voltage setting.

Y
Different motherboards may have it labeled differently but offset would generally refer to adaptive mode.

Is that on fixed voltage? I would have expected the more aggressive llc setting to keep the voltage much closer to what you set it to. But in general voltage drop is perfectly normal and just something to account for when determining your voltage setting.
yes i tried 1.23 @llc6 here's the pic id dropped to 1.16, is it fine?

Attachments

• 1.23 llc6 .png
    1.23 llc6 .png
    243.9 KB · Views: 0
yes i tried 1.23 @llc6 here's the pic id dropped to 1.16, is it fine?
I'm not using an Asus motherboard so I don't know what exactly the different LLC settings correspond to and how many levels there are. I thought that the higher numbers are more aggressive than the lower resulting in less vdroop. As long as you're not dropping down to voltage that is making you unstable you're fine.

Back