Question about GTX 780 Ti and 144 Hz 1440p G-Sync gaming

iowa_doug

Limp Gawd
Would a single GTX 780 Ti card be adequate for gaming on a 144 Hz 1440p G-Sync monitor, without having to turn down too many settings? Or are there any other viable single-card options besides GTX 980 Ti or Titan X?

Depends on what games you play and what frame rate you'll be happy with. My 780 Ti handles 4k just fine in games that are a few years old. The 980 Ti is a much better play though.

You don't HAVE to hit 144fps to feel a huge difference in smoothness. In modern titles if you want image quality over frame rate that's fine, and GSYNC will make a big difference in how it feels even at 60fps or less. In older games or less intensive titles, or hell even the desktop, the 144hz is very noticeable. It's definitely worth the money.

I had a 780 Ti paired with my Rog Swift for quite a while. The 780 Ti holds up extremely well when trying to be at or near 144fps. However, you won't get away with max settings in most games. For example, in BF4 on Ultra I would get as low as 60 or 70 fps, but with everything at high and no MSAA it was pegged at 144fps 99% of the time.

So in short, yeah, it'll be fine :)

The whole point of GSYNC is that the monitor refreshes to that of the GPU. Gaming will feel very smooth. You won't hit 144hz with a 780Ti without turning down settings, but as I mentioned GSYNC makes this more tolerable.

Would a single GTX 780 Ti card be adequate for gaming on a 144 Hz 1440p G-Sync monitor, without having to turn down too many settings? Or are there any other viable single-card options besides GTX 980 Ti or Titan X?

CSGO should work max settings at 144hz with 780ti

I have a 780ti and a ROG Swift (144hz/1440p). I can't play Far Cry 4 at the best preset at acceotable rates without turning down settings. Even with a single player game and G-Sync, you don't want 'worst' rates to dip too low, otherwise it isn't fun. With some downgrades to settings, it plays fine at 1440p or I can play at 1080p with most settings at/close to max.

I can't play Witcher 3 at full speed either - similar to the above.

I CAN play CS:GO maxed out. Woohoo!

Planning on buying a 980 ti.

Thanks for all of the responses. From what I have read, it looks like my update choices are 780 Ti (less $ with reduced settings) or 980 Ti (more $ with max settings).

One follow-up question - I had considered a 980, but felt it was too similar in specifications (and ultimately performance) to a 780 Ti. Is this an accurate assessment?

Thanks for all of the responses. From what I have read, it looks like my update choices are 780 Ti (less $ with reduced settings) or 980 Ti (more $ with max settings).

One follow-up question - I had considered a 980, but felt it was too similar in specifications (and ultimately performance) to a 780 Ti. Is this an accurate assessment?
Simply look at reviews. A 980 is hardly any faster than a 780 Ti. That said, other than a great deal, why on earth would you fool with a 780 Ti at this point?

Simply look at reviews. A 980 is hardly any faster than a 780 Ti. That said, other than a great deal, why on earth would you fool with a 780 Ti at this point?

Thanks for your feedback, and that's a fair question. For both cards, I have seen the reviews, along with their selling prices (used) on multiple sites. From what I can tell, a used 780 Ti can be purchased for less than a used 980. If they are truly that close in performance, then my preference is the 780 Ti.

I am not considering a new 980; if I were to spend that kind of money, I might as well pony up for a new 980 Ti.

[edit] - Your point about "simply look at reviews" was spot-on. Perhaps I shouldn't have asked about the 980.

Get a 980 Ti for 1440p 144Hz, I think you'll be very happy with the performance even on just a single card. I tend to target 80ish fps for my games and the 980 Ti can deliver it in just about any game at maxed or at least near maxed settings. With the performance I'm getting I haven't felt the need to pick up a 2nd 980 Ti since I don't care too much about completely maxing everything at 100+ fps.

Thanks for your feedback, and that's a fair question. For both cards, I have seen the reviews, along with their selling prices (used) on multiple sites. From what I can tell, a used 780 Ti can be purchased for less than a used 980. If they are truly that close in performance, then my preference is the 780 Ti.

I am not considering a new 980; if I were to spend that kind of money, I might as well pony up for a new 980 Ti.

[edit] - Your point about "simply look at reviews" was spot-on. Perhaps I shouldn't have asked about the 980.

What is the actual price difference you are looking at?

Something to keep in mind when looking at reviews is that due to the architectural differences (between Maxwell and Kepler) you will want to adjust weighting depending on the games in the reviewers test suite. GTX 980 and 780ti's performance difference in Battlefield 4 for example is likely not indicative of the actual performance difference going forward. Even comparing the results with Dragon Age: Inquisition which uses the same engine shows a much larger performance delta. You may even want to consider a GTX 970 instead.

I hate to bring this up again, but I have a hard time understanding what is holding me back..
I play csgo and dota, but I have to turn down settings to get it decent.. I play on a S2417DG (1440P @ 144hz) but i strugge to get 144fps in csgo.
I have a 780 ti paired with 16gb ram and a 4790k, yet I have to go all @ medium just to get around 120 fps.
Got any advice?

I hate to bring this up again, but I have a hard time understanding what is holding me back..
I play csgo and dota, but I have to turn down settings to get it decent.. I play on a S2417DG (1440P @ 144hz) but i strugge to get 144fps in csgo.
I have a 780 ti paired with 16gb ram and a 4790k, yet I have to go all @ medium just to get around 120 fps.
Got any advice?
Stop sweating the numbers and enjoy playing your games?

Can you overclock the CPU further if the cooler can handle the heat?

Are you running the game from a SSD? If not, try that. If you are, try a different drive.

Does your overclock change the speed at which the SATA and PCIE lanes run? That might be inducing instability.

Can you overclock the CPU further if the cooler can handle the heat?

Are you running the game from a SSD? If not, try that. If you are, try a different drive.

Does your overclock change the speed at which the SATA and PCIE lanes run? That might be inducing instability.
It is running @ 4,3 ghz, and I've only got ssd's - will try to install it on the 2nd ssd then.
No, lane speeds are unchanged.

Overclocking more will likely only give a few fps (i.e. under 5) and the OP seems to be looking for a more substantial change. Since it seems that the OP's game is running at about half of what other similarly spec'd machines are running, this leads to more of a problem with the system. I would start by looking at what else is running on Windows, some background tasks can eat performance if left to their own devices. It could be something as simple as malware, or 27 tabs in chrome all updating the ads on their respective pages. It could also be hardware related if this is a new result (i.e. Last week the game ran at X fps and now I get half, CPU heatsink could be plugged with dust so when the machine tries to spool up, it just down-clocks to compensate the heat build-up.) As others have said, this machine should still be able to murder CS:Go at 1440p with the max preset, so to be pulling half the fps leads me to believe it's a bigger problem than changing a video card unless that is the faulty part. Step one for me would be to check the health of Windows and reformat/Fresh Start if necessary. If reformatting doesn't do the trick, then I would be looking at the hardware and stress testing various parts of the system, PSU, CPU, GPU, RAM to uncover the faulty part.

Reactions: Jspr
like this
Get a 980 Ti for 1440p 144Hz, I think you'll be very happy with the performance even on just a single card. I tend to target 80ish fps for my games and the 980 Ti can deliver it in just about any game at maxed or at least near maxed settings. With the performance I'm getting I haven't felt the need to pick up a 2nd 980 Ti since I don't care too much about completely maxing everything at 100+ fps.

I agree. I have been running 1440p@144 Hz + 980 Ti for a few years now and still haven't found a good reason to upgrade. With a G-Sync display I don't really care if framerates sometimes fluctuate to under 60 fps and you can always drop down AA settings if you would rather get higher framerates. Personally I'm happy as long as the game runs somewhere around 60 fps.

I agree. I have been running 1440p@144 Hz + 980 Ti for a few years now and still haven't found a good reason to upgrade. With a G-Sync display I don't really care if framerates sometimes fluctuate to under 60 fps and you can always drop down AA settings if you would rather get higher framerates. Personally I'm happy as long as the game runs somewhere around 60 fps.
I've found that aiming for 72fps yields "smoother" gameplay on a 144Hz monitor. Likewise, 60fps on a 120Hz monitor - in both cases, it's trying to hit a multiple of the refresh rate that ends up with better perceived smoothness.

Sub-target frames are handled nicely by G-sync, and it won't automagically give you better performance.

If you have some extra bucks go for a 980ti. I have a ROG Swift 1440p and tryied with a lot of GPU. 770, 980ti, 1070 and finaly my 1080ti. Between the 980ti and 1070 there isn't a big difference for example in GTA V max out.

Got any advice?
i know this is old but no one gave you a proper answer: drop everything as low as it'll go including resolution. if your framerate is still bad you've got some shit wrong with your system that i have no idea how to diagnose. you should be getting at least 3x that on normal competitive settings.

Reactions: Jspr
like this
Back