Question about going from 24pin to 20pin

james__bean

Weaksauce
Ok, so I just got my PCP&C 510 SLI, but the local computer shops didn't have any 24pin female to 20pin male adapters. (One guy actually told me it wasn't even possible to do that.) So I get home and notice that I can plug my 24pin connector into my 20pin motherboard. The right lines seem to match up when I compare to my dead Antec 20 pin and the other two lines, (orange and black I believe) just sit off to the side. Can I actually just run my system with those two hanging off the side or do they have to somehow be terminated? (I'm not going to cut the wires because I'm going Nforce 4 in a couple weeks.)

I have an adapter being fedex'd to me... I just don't want to wait :p

james__bean

Weaksauce
Hmm, upon further inspection it looks like there is a white colored cable that is missing...

james__bean

Weaksauce
Hmm... maybe I'll try it on this spare motherboard I have sitting here for my media center...

james__bean

Weaksauce
I tried a couple searches and eventually found my answer. It works fine, and that white cable is for the -5v line, which is unnecessary.

Ice Czar

Inscrutable
correct they are keyed the same with an extra 4 pins hanging off the side
the maun disadvantage is the clips dont line up, but a spot of hotglue or no strain on the cables will fix that (I use a spiral wrap)

I have a few 2U rackmount supplies (EPS12V w\ 24 pins) powering old boards so your good to go ;)

(ATX12V v2.0 adopted the 24 pin connector from the EPS12V standard)
besides adapters add a substatial amount of resistance to the +3.3V rail
(typically still within spec but still not optimum)