Question about gaming on X-Box and Halo2

Labrador

[H]ard|Gawd
First off I am an old schooler PC Gamer, have been playing them since early 90's. I really never got inot the whole console scene, except for two systems I owned , the N64, and Sega_Genisis. But I spent most of my time PC Gaming.

Anyways three questions;

- Halo2 looks like it has better graphics than Halo, but the X-Box system is the same. How do they do that on the same hardware ? Where as PC sequals only look better because a few years after the orginal [H]ardware has been improved ?

- Is there a keyboard/mouse setup, or 3rd party options for the X-Box ?

- Can I hook up the X-Box to my PC monitors, and play Co-op on two different monitors one for each player, but with only one X-Box ?

Thanks

1. Just simply making a better 3d engine and better code etc... I don't think that Halo 2 has that much better graphics than halo 1 though...

2. Yes, there will be a keyboard/mouse adapter out in time for Halo 2... google "Smartjoy frag" It is made by lik sang. It should start shipping sometime soon.

3. No, only one monitor or tv per xbox :( But to hook up just one monitor you will need either this or a tv tuner card with analog input. I would recommend the x2vga unit, I have heard nothing but good reviews for it.

Hope that helps... ;)

thanks

I just read about the keyboard/mouse adapter. BUT if my bro and I want to play Co-op can we have two keyboards/mice ?

I don't know why not. ;)

It will only take up one controller port.

I can't wait! :p

bobsaget said:
I don't think that Halo 2 has that much better graphics than halo 1 though...

Are you serious? If you check out some side-by-side pics of the two, it's pretty obvious Halo 2 has far more advanced looking shaders, lighting and perhaps slightly higher res/quality textures.

bripab007 said:
Are you serious? If you check out some side-by-side pics of the two, it's pretty obvious Halo 2 has far more advanced looking shaders, lighting and perhaps slightly higher res/quality textures.

We don't really know by those high resolution screenshots that bungie releases. We will have to wait and see Halo2 on our own TV's...

bripab007 said:

Still the resolution used on console is a joke.

bobsaget said:
We don't really know by those high resolution screenshots that bungie releases. We will have to wait and see Halo2 on our own TV's...
I watched a recording of one of the beta versions being played on standard XBOXs on a multiplayer LAN game. I'll try and find a link and post it, but let me just say that the graphics looked significantly better than in Halo 1 with excellent frame rates. What amazed me the most was that it ran so well, even though it was still in beta. It looks like Bungie coded heavily around the XBOX's GPU. I am seriously looking forward to trying it out myself.

BTW, some of the Electronics Boutiques are having "Midnight Madness" sales on Nov. 9 so that customers can pick up Halo 2 at 12:00AM that morning. Heh, I'm willing to stay up that late on a work night (Nov. 8th) just to get my hands on it early. I may even call in sick the next day. I just have to make sure that the rest of the IT department doesn't do the same. ;)

Eidolon said:
I watched a recording of one of the beta versions being played on standard XBOXs on a multiplayer LAN game. I'll try and find a link and post it, but let me just say that the graphics looked significantly better than in Halo 1 with excellent frame rates. What amazed me the most was that it ran so well, even though it was still in beta. It looks like Bungie coded heavily around the XBOX's GPU. I am seriously looking forward to trying it out myself.

BTW, some of the Electronics Boutiques are having "Midnight Madness" sales on Nov. 9 so that customers can pick up Halo 2 at 12:00AM that morning. Heh, I'm willing to stay up that late on a work night (Nov. 8th) just to get my hands on it early. I may even call in sick the next day. I just have to make sure that the rest of the IT department doesn't do the same. ;)

Yeah, the EB here is doing it as well, but only for those who pre-ordered it. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to stay up that late just for a video game, but then again, it's halo2.

jubei said:
Yeah, the EB here is doing it as well, but only for those who pre-ordered it. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to stay up that late just for a video game, but then again, it's halo2.
Ah... Just found a list of locations for the Midnight Madness:
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/ads/promos/halo2midnightmadness/

Looks like one of the Charlotte or Concord, NC locations are going to the closest to where I live. If anybody else is going to be at one of those feel free to reply or PM me.

Ok this is a follow up to the main question. I am in the same boat and now I am trying to decide between the Viewsonic N6 and the x2vga. There is a huge gap as far as price goes but I don't care. Which one do you think will be better? The Viewsonic N6 I know can do progressive scan ,3:2 pulldown, and digital 3-D comb filter. Oooo Look at this:

From viewsonic's website:
TV/Video input compatibility
480i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i

This makes me think that is can convert the 480i so that it will display on Monitor. Hmmm... maybe the viewsonic will give me a little better image quality and will be able to support every xbox game including DVD watching. If this is the case I will get the viewsonic. Plus it has a TV tuner built in as well. So I need to get the the Viewsonic N6 + the high def pack for xbox. What do you people think about the viewsonic N6 with the Xbox? There is only 1 review abou the N6 on the net and the reviewer said that the xbox quality was flat out amazing and better than watching on tv. Also, I can hook other consoles up to the N6 in the future.

Still the resolution used on console is a joke.

The idea that this is relevant is a joke, considering you're not sitting two feet away from your TV while playing console games.

As for the graphics; the bump-mapping is the reason why Halo 2 looks so much better than the original. The bump-mapping done in Halo was implemented in the final months of development...it wasn't really utilized as well as it could have been. Halo 2 was designed from the ground-up to utilize this feature. The differences are quite obvious.

Back