Question about flashing lines with Eyefinity

iSteez

Gawd
Hi guys..

I'm questioning whether to RMA my Sapphire 5970.. Until the Official 10.3 release I was getting the 2D flicker w/ my Displayport U2410.. No dongle.. After I installed 10.3 I get no further 2D flicker on the Displayport monitor.. Thats definitely a good thing..

The remaining annoyance now is what I can only describe as flashing vertical lines when firing a weapon in a FPS for example MW2, L4D etc etc.. I am in a portrait config.. Admittedly due to the 2D flickering I may be oversensitive at this point but the wide vertical flashes are really annoying.. It is almost in a way like tearing..

Are any of you guys experiencing this? I've searched around and can only find info about the whole dongle flickering debacle..

Thanks!!

Yeah it does.. I just tested it on 2 of the 3 monitors independently w/ DVI and Displayport.. Looks like my card may have issues..

Do you have over drive enabled? Might want to edit your profile and bump up the 2D clocks. I was getting flickering too since the 2D clock is only 157mhz. I changed it to 300 and it's fine now.

Do you have over drive enabled? Might want to edit your profile and bump up the 2D clocks. I was getting flickering too since the 2D clock is only 157mhz. I changed it to 300 and it's fine now.

That was my first thought when I started reading it but he's having the problem in 3d games where the clocks should be ramped up already. I could swear I saw something similar happen on an old card of mine that ended up needing dusting out to bring down the temp, so my guess is the card probably needs RMA'd.

If you can, try underclocking the core and the memory and see if there's any change?

that is weird.. vertical tearing? no artifacts? just kind of a mis-alignment of the screen for a "blip"? I assume you are sure this is not a vsync issue?

Yeah the 2d flickering was resolved w/ the official 10.3 driver for some reason.. Overdrive on or off made no difference until the 10.3.. Really strange.. There are no artifacts and "running around" in the game is fine w/ no lines.. It seems to only occur when shooting etc.. The vertical banding/tearing/lines are from top to bottom on the display and seems like they ripple across all the screens but its most obvious on the center monitor of course.. I will continue to test tonight after work.. Thanks for all the feedback guys!!

I have the same problem when a portrait display group is created, 5850 with a dongle on 10.3 drivers. Happens in gaming or in fast motion video, in random places each time the group is recreated. Sometimes one monitor might be free of the problem, other times all three are affected, seemingly depending on the order in which they are extended.

Here's another thread about the problem, with no apparent resolution :(

Correction: seeing the vertical line even when in the portrait clone on all three cloned displays.

Last edited:
I have the same problem when a portrait display group is created, 5850 with a dongle on 10.3 drivers. Happens in gaming or in fast motion video, in random places each time the group is recreated. Sometimes one monitor might be free of the problem, other times all three are affected, seemingly depending on the order in which they are extended.

Here's another thread about the problem, with no apparent resolution :(

Hey thanks for the post man!! I got my issues resolved!!

The one post here did it for me though not exactly the same deal:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Update for anyone suffering the same problem....

i tried the method described to force them to use the same driver- no change. I tried each monitor's driver on every monitor, none of them made the slightest difference.

BUT! Changed the primary monitor in CCC to the problem one (after having enabled my eyefinity profile), and all of them are fine now!

No idea why that worked. But hopefully this will helpe other people with the issue. Cheers guys!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 3 - U2410's

My monitor w/ the line issue was my peripheral DVI attached monitor.. Vsync w/ triple buffering pretty much cleared up the original reported 3D game tearing problem I had but made the vertical line on my left monitor way worse.. It was exactly like the guys YouTube video from the WSF post.. 10.3 fixed my flicker issues but the line was still there.. My monitors were hooked up as Left - DVI, Center - DP, Right - DVI in portrait.. The line was on my Left as I said.. If I made my L or R DVI's preferred the line moved around.. Once I made my DP Center monitor the preferred voila!! Line gone.. This has got to be driver related.. Crazy what we have to do to get this stuff working right!!

Thanks again Parak!! :cool:

That was me!

unfortunately, i was wrong. While changing the primary monitor solved it on the desktop, and it is unnoticeable in racing games, I loaded up portal and it's got a horrible line on two monitors that moves down the screen. It's less noticeable in dirt 2 but still there. Still need a fix.

The more I tinker with it, the more noticeable it seems to become. Just dragging the firefox window up and down with the [H] forums open produces the lines :/

sounds like one of the displays is running at a different refresh almost..

Problem solved: Aero had to be enabled (I didn't really care for ui prettiness), which allowed for 3d settings like vsync to work on 2d stuff. Forcing vsync on in ccc didn't help in games for whatever reason, and vsync had to be enabled in each game to resolve.

I almost shipped the card back to sapphire after they told me to RMA it too; good thing I tried my backup card first to observe the same thing happening :p

Ahh.. nice. Well, glad you got it sorted out. It did sound a lot like a vsync issue when you first described it. :)

Problem solved: Aero had to be enabled (I didn't really care for ui prettiness), which allowed for 3d settings like vsync to work on 2d stuff. Forcing vsync on in ccc didn't help in games for whatever reason, and vsync had to be enabled in each game to resolve.

Driver forced VSync only applies for OpenGL - which is why it is listed under "OpenGL settings" ;) It is the same for Nvidia as well. For whatever reason, neither ATI nor Nvidia lets you force enable Direct3D Vsync.

Back