question about fallout 3

i have had fallout three for awhile but have never really had time to get into it so i decided now would be the time. i am only to the part where i have to get the satellite for 3dog (which i know is really early). i have noticed that the whole time i am playing the game i am either 1. extremely low on ammo or 2 have hardly no health and at most times both of those are true. i was wondering if the rest of the game is like this or is there a point in the game where this slacks off. i have talked to other people and they just tell me to keep on going with the game but i think they tell me that cause they play it religously. i wanted to get some feedback from people here though before i completely hang this game up.

Do you have enough caps to buy ammo or stimpaks? What is your primary weapon you use? It does get easier as the game goes on, at least in my opinion it does. PM me if you need more help.

I might be able to offer some more advice if you let me know what armor you're wearing and what weapon you usually use. If you run out of bullets, try to have a decent melee weapon for close quarters.

I'm playing through it again right now so here's some advice.

1. Stop doing the main questline.
2. Explore, find gear, side quests.
3. Level up
4. Rad-Away + Food/Meet you find
5. Stimpacks
6. Sleeping in bed will completely heal you.
7. When using a gun, use VATS more than firing from the hip.

I never run out of ammo, and replenish my health quite often. The game plays how you play. Its easier on you if you make it easier on you.

it only starts that way. as you level up it takes less bullets to kill.

I was a retard and didn't see the big sign that said Megaton so I explored the ENTIRE MAP before even found megaton. So I had plenty of ammo by the time I got to TWO dog.

i have had fallout three for awhile but have never really had time to get into it so i decided now would be the time. i am only to the part where i have to get the satellite for 3dog (which i know is really early). i have noticed that the whole time i am playing the game i am either 1. extremely low on ammo or 2 have hardly no health and at most times both of those are true. i was wondering if the rest of the game is like this or is there a point in the game where this slacks off. i have talked to other people and they just tell me to keep on going with the game but i think they tell me that cause they play it religously. i wanted to get some feedback from people here though before i completely hang this game up.
I was about 50 hours into the game when I got to three dog so your not necessarily 'early' in the game.

You probably need to do more exploring/side quest. I had an epic ton of stim-packs at the end of the game and never had ammo issues. I however rotated guns quite frequently. I used the Shotguns, Hunting Rifles, Assault Rifles, Melee Weapons and Flamethrower regularly. You need to rotate your weapons more often. Also, are you using VATS? It helps a ton. The weapon accuracy in Fallout 3 is way off for balance issues so being in Vats really is the only way to succeed in the game.

yea i do you vats anytime i have enough ap. ill try exploring some more and see what happens

You also might want to make sure you are clear on what the stats do. When I first started my stats where so off balanced that I had to restart. One of the skills affect how much stimatacks heal you and its a good idea to put that around 8 if you are having health problems.

Been a long time since I played the game so I don't remember the names of the stats.

pick everything up and sell it to make caps. If you sell crap you will get money, it can be tedious but it works.

pick everything up and sell it to make caps. If you sell crap you will get money, it can be tedious but it works.

This is what I do, but I become sort of addicted to it, I pick up shit I don't need just to get caps for it.. I have about 110,000 (yeah 110 thousand) caps, almost 1200 stimpacks. All my stats are maxed out, I just run around in the naughty nightwear and various big guns. If i want to be super sneaky I use the Chinese Stealth Armor (Operation Anchorage) and the Perforator (The Pitt) to creep around and kill stuff. I'm also pretty OCD with it because I HAVE to have one of every available item and repair it to perfect condition just to lay it all over my house this is basically me in Fallout. I had to stop playing it because I lost track of way too much time in it and I have about 420 hours across 4 different characters. I still need to finish Point Lookout too.

If you start off the game hoarding and selling stuff it will get a LOT easier, also I'd recommend getting the Prima guide or using the Fallout Wiki site to absorb all you can out of the game, knowing all the secret/hidden stuff makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

I ended up using the Hunting Rifle a lot because that is what the mutants carry. Almost every one you drop has some ammo.

I used the hunting rifle quite a bit too, worst sound in the game is the ping! from that rifle when you are out of ammo!

You should do side-quests. Also, there is a wonderful perk called Scrounger that you can get at level eight; this will guarantee you never run short of ammo.

You should do side-quests. Also, there is a wonderful perk called Scrounger that you can get at level eight; this will guarantee you never run short of ammo.

Fortune finder is similar. You'll find extra caps. The problem with that is it didn't take long to unbalance the game. You turn into a post apocalyptic Bill Gates. Between me and Fawkes, I pretty much had every item in the game with me if I needed it.

Fortune finder is similar. You'll find extra caps. The problem with that is it didn't take long to unbalance the game. You turn into a post apocalyptic Bill Gates. Between me and Fawkes, I pretty much had every item in the game with me if I needed it.
I didn't even have the cap perk and I still had unlimited caps. The only time I had problems was trying to find specific armors to repair what I had, otherwise I had everything I needed.

The one that gives you extra ammo is a great perk to have. Not only will you find extras of the rare ammo types - if you don't feel like using 'em, you can sell them to make tons of extra money.

yea this has really helped alot guys and i have really been gettin into the game now. i just find hours slipping by and i'm now realizing why everyone thought this game was so great

Fallout 3 was a killer game. I know there were some gripes, but I think it was probably the best game from all of last year.
I've been holding off on the expansions (I'm hoping for a value disk containing of all of them), but it's been tough. The game was just wonderful.

...I've been holding off on the expansions (I'm hoping for a value disk containing of all of them), but it's been tough...

I've been holding out on it as well. I hope they release it soon. I hear the expansions are pretty solid.

Last edited:
Started playing a couple weeks ago and am at level 12 or 13. Found 3 dog but never did his mission, just went off on side quests, and now I am locating all bobbleheads and skill books. I think by the time I go back to the main quest I may have already been everywhere. Getting small arms skill up to 83 helps a lot (if you use small arms). Before a shotgun would do maybe 22 damage now they do 47 without 100% repair.

There is a bobblehead for each SPECIAL, and one for each skill. The ones for special increase by one, the ones for skill increase by 10.

If you get comprehension perk (requires 4 intelligence) then each skill book gives you 2 skill points rather than one. That's 50 skill points from skill books and 10 from a bobblehead. This means you really only need to put 40 skill points from leveling up into any given skill and will still get each one to 100.

Also along these lines, some people will put lots of points into Intelligence so they get lots of skills per level up. However, you can still get all skills to 100 if you only put 3 into intelligence. You can put more into things like agility or strength, and make sure to find the bobblehead for intelligence so it rises to 4 from 3, to get the comprehension perk.

Finding all skill books is a very large endeavor only for the ultra dedicated (yes I am quoting that from somewhere).

Checkout http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3 there is a ton of useful information there.

Last edited:
Back