Question about ethernet cable needed for new ethernet jack project

ppilot

Weaksauce
So I am considering installing some Ethernet jacks around the house and I had a question about the wire needed. After reading around it says I might have to use CM rated cable or better for in wall installations which is fine except for the fact I can only find that type in 1000 foot spools (I only need about 100 feet).

Do I need the CM or better rated cable? If so, any ideas as to where I can get two 50 foot cables without having to buy the spools?

Do I need the CM or better rated cable? If so, any ideas as to where I can get two 50 foot cables without having to buy the spools?

You can get Plenum cable (CMP) from ebay. There is a listing for 100FT CAT 5E Bulk Solid Wire UTP PLENUM Blue going for $30 shipped right now.

You typically don't need plenum rated cabling in walls unless the space is used for air delivery or return.

You might try Home Depot or Lowes. I know they have standard ethernet riser cable for sale by the foot, but I'm not sure about plenum-rated. If you do decide against the plenum-rated cabling, and you'll be punching this cable into IDC (insulation displacement contact) jacks or patch panel, make sure you purchase solid-cord riser cable. Don't grab some stranded-core patch cables and try punching that down.

Back