Question about dually rigs

topslop1

2[H]4U
If most games now are under utilizing quad and octo core processors and there are issues with SLI etc.. What kind of benefit do you see with a dually rig for playing a game like Arma 3 or Battlefield 4? Is there a tangible benefit? Is it large?

Quick run-down: There is no benefit. CPUs intended for multi-processor systems are clocked slower and cannot be overclocked. These systems also do not typically support SLI or CrossFire.

Quick run-down: There is no benefit. CPUs intended for multi-processor systems are clocked slower and cannot be overclocked. These systems also do not typically support SLI or CrossFire.

That statement is not entirely true, both 1366 xeon and 2011 xeon boards support SLI/Crossfire IF you buy the right board.

As for overclocking, Intel 1366 and 2011 can be overclocked, again mobo dependant, 1366 can get some monster overclocks on an SR-2. On the AMD front G34 can be overclocked with the right mobo or if you get hold of "non retail" cpu's

I did say 'typically' not 'never' :) G34 can be overclocked through the base clock with BIOS mods, yes.. and ES don't really count. There's AMD boards that support Crossfire but of course no SLI license.. and SLIHack does not work on them.

The SR-2 may not be considered "mainstream" but outside of server applications it is probably one of the most used two processor motherboards .... And with it I have two x5680's clocked at 4.0 (under air), Or if needed I have had them at 4.3 (again stable, however temps get too warm for me, until I get water on it that is...) .... And those are not ES CPU's, so they count in your definition, and there is no hack or mod done to accomplish this :)

Back