Question about Dual GPU card running at PCI-E 3.0 instead of 2.0 + locking up issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovaCloud

Gawd
Sorry if this doesn't go here. Wasn't sure to ask here or the motherboard forum...

I recently bought the Powercolor AXR9 390 II 16GBD5(Dual 390) card and running it on my ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 motherboard. Since I still utilize a 2500k, it is running at PCI-E 2.0. However, according to GPU-Z, when I do the render test, it is showing it running at PCI-E 3.0. My motherboard will support PCI-E 3.0, but I have to have an Ivy Bridge processor to utilize it. Since I am running a sandy bridge processor, it shouldn't be utilizing the 3.0 interface. Should I be concerned?

I have been having lockups with this card when putting a load on it and have tried to figure out what my issue is. Pretty much the main problem is when applying ANY type of load on the GPU, the second GPU seems to kick offline and my computer just pretty much freezes and locks up. This happens IMMEDIATELY when performing the GPU-Z render test. Only reason I know this is because this card has light sensors on the card itself that show how much load each GPU core has on it. When it freezes/locks up, I see all the lights on the second GPU core go completely blank. But its hit or miss and I haven't been able to pinpoint an exact cause.. Sometimes the card works fine and I can game on it(even OC at 1100/1600) for 4-5 hours continuously playing Witcher 3. As soon as I reset the system, I have issues again...

The card works perfectly fine when I disable crossfire so I am inclined to think it is a driver issue. Took out the card, put in my 6950 crossfire and everything works fine. I have a Seasonic X1250 power supply that has been running fine prior to this new GPU card. Only thing I have yet to do is utilize a different PCI-E port.. although I would be running the card at PCI-E 8X. I have reinstalled the operating system multiple times and have been scratching my head to figure out an answer.

I am thinking of telling my wife a white lie and saying my computer is having issues and I need to upgrade the whole system(which I would be going to a X99/5820k platform LOL :D ) to see if that makes any difference..

Well, appreciate any help I can get.. I do know the Dual GPU card requires a minimum of 16GB for system ram that I currently do have installed. Read some reviews online saying I should be looking at 24GB to help keep the card more stable... But I have all 4x4GB slots all filled and I really don't feel like buying 8GB DDR3 sticks... whew.. alright that's all for now lol.

Last edited:
Sounds like a power issue, but an x1250 should be PLENTY for that setup.

Also, 16GB isn't required for Crossfire... FYI

What other card are you trying to run with that AXR9 390 II? A 6950? Just run the single, dual GPU card.

Sounds like a power issue, but an x1250 should be PLENTY for that setup.

Also, 16GB isn't required for Crossfire... FYI

What other card are you trying to run with that AXR9 390 II? A 6950? Just run the single, dual GPU card.

The stat sheet on the outside of the devil 13 box specifically requires a 16GB minimum ram requirement.. I thought as well that 16GB isn't required for crossfire too... actually states 32GB RAM on the box is required for 2 of these monsters.... Not like I ever would.. lol..

I pulled out the dual 390 to make sure it wasn't my motherboard starting to take a poop and just ran 2 6950 that I had prior to the dual GPU card... and I was running it just with the dual 390 card.... I have 4 separate 8 pin connectors going from the power supply to the card to make sure it has more then enough power to run.

*RESOLVED... Ended up resetting the CMOS battery.. Haven't had an issue since.. weird because I had to do this when my Ethernet port stop working. Maybe my mobo is really starting to go....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back