Question about Destiny

Eradan

[H]ard|Gawd
Haven't played it. Just wondering if it's worth a look and also where to start or what to buy to get in. I know they released Taken King. Is that an xpac or is it the full game?

Thanks.

that is the latest xpac. you should be able to pickup the full game with xpac for around $60 USD. as for where to start... you start @ the same location every time. Just work your way up.

I had a blast leveling up to the max character level...and then playing as much as I could for light level. However this game is designed around multiplayer and there is no real queuing for it...so check online in the LFG's for groups to run the raids and the weeklys.

It will be overwhelming at first, but by the time you are all leveled up to your max character level you will know all about it.

The PVP is enjoyable and does not have level disadvantage...so you could be level 2 and the other guy a level 30 and you would be on an even playing field. The only minor differences would be his higher level weapons usually have better characteristics. keep an eye out for there weekend random pvp modes...they can be a blast with faster than normal specials and stuff like that.

The game is best co-op. If it wasn't for the fact that I could play with my buddy through the game's entirety I don't think I would've played it very much. However, a coworker of mine loves playing solo.

The game itself is great. Since you are a late adopter you have a major advantage for those of us who have been with the game since year 1. There is a LOT to do and it's a rewarding and fun game. It can get repetitive but for me, the convos with my friends, and the cooperativeness levels that out so it doesn't feel repetitive. Getting excited for Xur day, Arms day, and for the weekly nightfall and heroic resets was engaging and kept me with the game.

Now though since I almost have 3 maxed-out characters it's lost its excitement from when I first started but I still find myself getting excited about it when I think of it. The guns, gameplay, shooting controls... everything is top-notch which coming from Bungie I would expect no less. The areas to explore are cool, and the graphics are fantastic on both platforms so I think you'll have a great time with it. If you can find a friend to play with you'll enjoy it even more.

Thanks for replying, everyone. Will probably pick this up after I get through the new Tomb Raider (when it hits PC in a few weeks). Finally playing through the campaign in Diablo 3. My middle name is LTTP. :D

Thanks for replying, everyone. Will probably pick this up after I get through the new Tomb Raider (when it hits PC in a few weeks). Finally playing through the campaign in Diablo 3. My middle name is LTTP. :D

Pro-tip: Definitely download the Destiny app. It is a indispensable tool when needing to transfer items to and from your vault and other characters without having to travel to the Tower every time. You can also go over your Quests, equip different gear and weapons for when you get home from work or wherever your character is ready to go just how you want him/her. Also, it was fun showing my coworkers my new loot/armor/weapons and seeing theirs.

If you like grindy generic not quite MMOFPS sure. I never got around to taken king. What I found was that the storyline and monsters are incredibly repetitive and generic. The goal of the game is to level up and then leveling becomes unimportant and everything is about Gear.

Nothing in the story isn remotely inciting at all. You're going to learn really quick that this pretty much world of warcraft but in an FPS format.

It's quite literally a waste of time. If you're into that sort of thing you may enjoy it. I was bored and walked away at level 21 or so. whenever you get the light gear.

The game often feels empty. There's no story or world worth being a apart of. It's not Mass effect or even Halo. It's halo MP with PVE elements.

I'm sure I'm just a hater or whatever but I just don't want you to waste your money if you're thinking you're getting something of substance in the story or single player...anything. It's a shame because the mythos and art style is pretty impressive. It's really not clear to me why they switched to this Gear wars yawnfest.

(fair warning I figured out the grind cave bug right before they banned it and unlocked all the content worth discussing in the first 3 or 4 days it was out.)

Last edited:
Raids are a huge barrier keeping me from progressing further right now. In all honesty I haven't put in the effort to get a group together, but that is no excuse for Bungie excluding any function whatsoever to find people in-game to raid with.

If you like grindy generic not quite MMOFPS sure. I never got around to taken king. What I found was that the storyline and monsters are incredibly repetitive and generic. The goal of the game is to level up and then leveling becomes unimportant and everything is about Gear.

Nothing in the story isn remotely inciting at all. You're going to learn really quick that this pretty much world of warcraft but in an FPS format.

It's quite literally a waste of time. If you're into that sort of thing you may enjoy it. I was bored and walked away at level 21 or so. whenever you get the light gear.

The game often feels empty. There's no story or world worth being a apart of. It's not Mass effect or even Halo. It's halo MP with PVE elements.

I'm sure I'm just a hater or whatever but I just don't want you to waste your money if you're thinking you're getting something of substance in the story or single player...anything. It's a shame because the mythos and art style is pretty impressive. It's really not clear to me why they switched to this Gear wars yawnfest.

(fair warning I figured out the grind cave bug right before they banned it and unlocked all the content worth discussing in the first 3 or 4 days it was out.)

You in all honesty do sound like a hater on a rant. In all fairness, you haven't tried The Taken King... and the fact that you mentioned the cave bug goes to show how incredibly out of the loop you are. The Taken King while not perfect offered up a fantastic amount of new content and a lot of the annoying stuff from year one are completely gone and the game feels much more complete now even in regards to story which was a big gripe for me up until Taken King released.

Of course there is a grind here, however my suggestion to OP was that if you have a friend to play this with it will be a instant favorite. Any comparison to World of Warcraft is really stupid also btw. That's like me saying the Witcher 3 is like World of Warcraft because you have to kill people and fetch stuff for XP. Your comparison is really grasping at straws.

If OP ever liked a Halo game, and likes RPG elements in shooters then I am fairly confident he/she will like this game. If not, it's still a great deal and won't lose much compared to those of us who've played with the game since launch. It is still exciting to this day to see what Xur has every weekend (even if it ends up being shit) and just going and even doing the daily bounties with my buddies. Also, unlocking the different subclasses, leveling them up, the occasional better weapon or gear... and then there's still Crucible if OP likes multi-player arena shooters then there's plenty of fun to be had there.

I don't play it as much as I used to b/c i've done everything 1000 times but the controls, gameplay, shooting, social aspect of the game is so strong I still come back and enjoy it. Also, the limited-time events like the Halloween event and the Sparrow Racing recently were nice little distractions.

Raids are a huge barrier keeping me from progressing further right now. In all honesty I haven't put in the effort to get a group together, but that is no excuse for Bungie excluding any function whatsoever to find people in-game to raid with.

I would have to say this is the number one reason I am not playing it all the time. Yes I understand the RAID/Instances from back in my WoW days and understand just how awesome they are, with the coordination and dedication that everyone is in sysn...but I do wish they made PUGs easier to get with and make several levels of difficulties that allow PUGs to accomplish things.

I dont have time to find groups/raid parties outside of the game (on internet forums or dedicated LFG websites), nor do I want to deal with guilds that have to review my gear and play level skills based on my character username, I just want to log in and get queued up with a similar skill level character as me and go hit a few low level raids/trials. I was disappointed the trials was limited in non-fireteam groups.

I have a career, family, home/car that needs tended, cant dedicate the +25 hours a week to maintain my raid status.

I would have to say this is the number one reason I am not playing it all the time. Yes I understand the RAID/Instances from back in my WoW days and understand just how awesome they are, with the coordination and dedication that everyone is in sysn...but I do wish they made PUGs easier to get with and make several levels of difficulties that allow PUGs to accomplish things.

I dont have time to find groups/raid parties outside of the game (on internet forums or dedicated LFG websites), nor do I want to deal with guilds that have to review my gear and play level skills based on my character username, I just want to log in and get queued up with a similar skill level character as me and go hit a few low level raids/trials. I was disappointed the trials was limited in non-fireteam groups.

I have a career, family, home/car that needs tended, cant dedicate the +25 hours a week to maintain my raid status.

I have Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays off, and my two nights to play Destiny are Sunday and Monday, typically 3-5 hours each night, if my kiddoes cooperate. On a Sunday I can usually find a group looking for 1-2 more for the raid, in about 15 minutes. Monday can take a little longer (fewer still need to do it) but maybe an hour or so to find a group. Destinylfg.net and .com are both good, but I've had real good luck with bungie.net forums. Lots of people willing to carry pretty much anyone through the raid, if you've never done it before, and still more just want to get the raid knocked out for the week.

The older raids are still fun but they're really hard to find a group for. Bungie needs to either bring them up to Year 2 status or give them matchmaking.

I've really started using bungie.net as my go-to raid finder. Also, the few times I've been able to do the raid on Tuesday or the occasional Wednesday, the wait time is minimal since everyone is trying to get it done after the weekly reset.

The older raids are still fun but they're really hard to find a group for. Bungie needs to either bring them up to Year 2 status or give them matchmaking.

I've been saying the same thing but about the Strikes. It can't be that hard to just up the character levels to Vanguard level. The Legacy Strikes are still some of my favorites and I never get to play them anymore. Even when I select a Legacy playlist it still throws in all the new strikes in there too which is annoying as hell. The Devil's Lair, Nexus are some great strikes I wouldlove to play again but they never come around on the playlist. That would be amazing if they could make custom playlists of strikes. Maybe they will later on, but being able to choose strikes, add them to a custom playlist, set your own modifiers and enemy level (difficulty) would be fucking awesome. Then through some algorithm it determines the loot you get based on the strike stats.

Wow... so the older stuff I didn't get to I am shit out of luck because of lack of match making.

I KNEW that would happen... I paid $90 for a game that I can't play half of because the developer refuses to add match making.

I really want to try TTK, but without match making maybe I just need to forget about it.

Such a great game with great mechanics....

A few months ago I was getting into Year 1 Strikes through matchmaking fairly quickly on Xbox ONE, just to complete the story pieces I was missing. But it appears no one is doing Year 1 Raids anymore because I can't find any groups trying to get one together on any of the LFG sites.

Wow... so the older stuff I didn't get to I am shit out of luck because of lack of match making.

I KNEW that would happen... I paid $90 for a game that I can't play half of because the developer refuses to add match making.

I really want to try TTK, but without match making maybe I just need to forget about it.

Match making has never been a part of raids. That shouldn't be surprising.

A few months ago I was getting into Year 1 Strikes through matchmaking fairly quickly on Xbox ONE, just to complete the story pieces I was missing. But it appears no one is doing Year 1 Raids anymore because I can't find any groups trying to get one together on any of the LFG sites.

Try the bungie.net forums, I usually see threads started about looking for more for the old raids. LFG you're not gonna find anyone. Even the No Time to Explain quest, which requires you to kill Atheon, you're only gonna find people who want someone with the Atheon checkpoint. Nobody on LFG wants to do the whole raid.

I had fun playing the story and doing the strikes, but couldn't get into the raids and stuff, there was no matchmaking, and I'm a hermit, so that pretty well locked me out of that. Once I hit that point, I lost interest in the game.

Was worth the $50 or so I spent on it though. I still pop on from time to time leveling an alt.

I'm still enjoying the game .. I too am a "Hermit" player .. I prefer to play solo and just do the auto match making missions .. I can grind away for hours or just a few minutes ..I usually only have time for a few minutes. Not really interested in the PvP part of the game.. but hop in on occasion whenever I'm feeling I need to get pwnd by a 10yr old .. :)

I need some folks to do the King's Raid with on the Dreadnaught. I play on XBL. PM me if you want to hook up so I can do this raid.

I need some folks to do the King's Raid with on the Dreadnaught. I play on XBL. PM me if you want to hook up so I can do this raid.
I typically run with groups from LFG, but hit me up, I am on XBL and usually run the raid on hard 3 times a week to cover all my characters. My gamer tag is Kilaen.

I typically run with groups from LFG, but hit me up, I am on XBL and usually run the raid on hard 3 times a week to cover all my characters. My gamer tag is Kilaen.

SC Kronus here. I will send a friend request after work. Thanks! :)

Just starting out in Destiny now. I have a warlock at lvl 16 (almost 17) and have the same problems as most of you guys. I'm a casual player but I would like to knock out a few main quest story lines and raids in a fireteam here and there.

Gametag is: turb0nix

I don't have a set schedule of when I play but I try to get an hour or 2 every few days. I just got the game a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked for sure. The sooner I level up, the sooner I can raid (casually) of course.

If you see an invite from Turb0nix, know it's me!!!

Just starting out in Destiny now. I have a warlock at lvl 16 (almost 17) and have the same problems as most of you guys. I'm a casual player but I would like to knock out a few main quest story lines and raids in a fireteam here and there.

Gametag is: turb0nix

I don't have a set schedule of when I play but I try to get an hour or 2 every few days. I just got the game a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked for sure. The sooner I level up, the sooner I can raid (casually) of course.

If you see an invite from Turb0nix, know it's me!!!

You should have gotten a booster to take you straight to level 25

You should have gotten a booster to take you straight to level 25
I do but decided to grind my warlock to start out with and get a feel for the story and game.

I plan to start a hunter soon and will probably use the boost for that character!

I played it for a long while on solo with a few spats of co-op. I can't stand the grind though & just like WoW, I don't care for raiding. The pure focus on MP is all fine and dandy but I really wish that soloing on its own would give its own rewards. Not so much I found but I digress since I'm purely about the SP story even on MMOs (yes, I know that's crazy but some MMOs do have great stories).

Last edited:
Back