Question about Dell Powerconnect 5224

Draugauth

Limp Gawd
I have 2 of them and for several months the LACP worked just fine. Then all the sudden right before xmas the switches took down the network. All the settings look fine and the ports are still marked as LACP on both switches but as soon as I hook up all 4 it kills the network, even the wireless on the router.

Any ideas?

Sounds like they are creating a loop rather than a LAG.

If it were me, I'd set the ports back to access and then reconfigure them for link aggregate. With powerconnect the newer firmwares are also MUCH better, I think it would be wise to upgrade them if there's newer code available.

I got bit by this on ours as well.. older firmware versions have a bug that after several months of continuous operation a certain counter overruns and causes the switch to hard crash. The error should be noted in the switch's log..

We have 2 of these switches for redundancy purposes. The 2nd switch had been turned on just minutes after the first one some months ago, so it ran into the same counter bug only 3-4 minutes after the first switch had crashed! The crash somehow corrupted the configuration on switch #1.

Luckily I had exported and saved the operating configuration. So I ended up wiping them both, upgrading the firmware and restoring my configuration.

PowerConnect come with STP enabled by default, so if it's off its been explicity disabled.

That said, most people don't have the knowledge to properly implement STP and it causes more problems then its worth.

Alright thank you all.

Stevewm: 2 questions. What files are loaded on to your switches? How do you load the files on without a tftp server, or how do I setup a tftp server to use for them?

Thanks in advance

PowerConnect come with STP enabled by default, so if it's off its been explicity disabled.

That said, most people don't have the knowledge to properly implement STP and it causes more problems then its worth.

Yeah I know. But by the sounds of it the person new what they were talking about. Any way. Dell switches are Meh. Just a re brand switches. Dell doesn't make anything.I usually replace all Dell with HP.

Alright thank you all.

Stevewm: 2 questions. What files are loaded on to your switches? How do you load the files on without a tftp server, or how do I setup a tftp server to use for them?

Thanks in advance

Wait... I just realized our switches are 5424's.... Same bug may not apply in this case. I was able to upload the firmware right through the Web interface and make it the active image.

A quick Google search reveals a dell document explaining the process on the 5224..http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ol_ygiiDjYEvubdaEXCBg&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.eWU

You can find simple tftp servers easily... Google is your friend...http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3UhOFCVpIN51-_KBvEEnA&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.eWU

Yeah I know. But by the sounds of it the person new what they were talking about. Any way. Dell switches are Meh. Just a re brand switches. Dell doesn't make anything.I usually replace all Dell with HP.

They do code their own CLI though. Now that Dell bought Force10, they are making the PowerConnect CLI more like FTOS which is fantastic.

I actually like the Enterprise class PowerConnects (52xx-54xx, 34xx-35xx), they have been bullet-proof, easy to set-up and easy to maintain. I don't care for the 27xx/28xx series, but that is more personal preference than anything.
You can always try calling Dell's Switch Support- I've had good luck with them, and they should still help with the 5224. My understanding is they will provide lifetime 'lite' support for any of the Enterprise switches. Basically if it is an easy fix or they have the documentation, they will help.

alright I'll give the suggestions a try next weekend. This weekend is tied up with family and car stuff.

Back