Question about data migration speed if migrating 2 drives in tandem?

klepp0906

Gawd
So ive spent a fair amount of years simply adding hard drive after hard drive. That time has come to an end. There's no more room for more disks lol. I went and spent a veritable fortune to grab a dozen 10 terabyters and I have to move everything over.

Its slow and arduous :p So slow, i scooped up a 2nd dock. My question is this:

I have a current transfer going from an internal sata, over usb3 to a new docked drive.

If i hook up another usb3 dock, and start transferring from another internal sata disk, am i going to throttle or bottleneck myself anywhere due to any bus limitations or will it save me time?

Assuming you running SATA 2 drives. You doing anywhere near 300MB/s on first transfer?

theyre sata 3 i believe (old 5400rpm smr barracuda compute archive drives going to 7200rpm barracuda pros) and no like next to nothing up to 175mb or so i think is as high as ive seen depending on how small the files are its transferring at the time. all my images are killing it ;p

USB3 would be slowest point from looking at numbers. 640MB/s is roughly max. You got room for a few more imo.

In my experience, smaller files take longer to migrate.

yea nothing i can do about the usb 3 thing. actually turns out having 2 of those same docks on one pc causes all kindsa wonky behavior so i cant do that anyways. My other option was connecting one to my other pc, and then shooting it over the network. Its my understanding that with a gigabit switch the max your gonna get over the network is about 100mbps which would substantially tank my migration time (though it would still be an increase overall of course cause id have two running)

Just concerned about clogging up all the bandwidth on my network for what will most certainly be like 20 hours per drive ><

yea nothing i can do about the usb 3 thing. actually turns out having 2 of those same docks on one pc causes all kindsa wonky behavior so i cant do that anyways. My other option was connecting one to my other pc, and then shooting it over the network. Its my understanding that with a gigabit switch the max your gonna get over the network is about 100mbps which would substantially tank my migration time (though it would still be an increase overall of course cause id have two running)

Just concerned about clogging up all the bandwidth on my network for what will most certainly be like 20 hours per drive ><
Depends on your network. You’d only clog up your device. Don’t think you’d impact other clients unless you switch is underpowered.

Back