question about controllers

Kevin5255

Limp Gawd
This might be a dumb questions to start off, but since my 360 controllers have usb ports, will I be able to just plug in my xbox controller and play a game on my computer with it? I'm asking this because it's the eve of the devil may cry 4 PC release and I really want to be able to play it without mouse+keyboard. mouse and keyboard is ok for FPS, but I just don't think that it'll work with DMC4 and games like it that i might buy in the future.

now, if i can't just plug my xbox 360 controller into my usb port and use that as a controller for gaming, what's a good (read: inexpensive) controller that I'll be able to use with DMC4 and games like it on my pc?

I'm pretty sure Vista has the driver for xbox360 pad, just give it a try, nothing to lose.

Pretty sure the 360 pad works with Vista out of the box. I'm planning on picking one up next time I play a console type game on my PC.

I have to agree about the drivers being included in Vista but if not, you can download them easily from the MS website. I felt the same way as you about using a controller for non FPS games. I didn't even try to play Assassins Creed with the mouse and keyboard.

Yeah it's supported as a 3-axis 14 button controller. I don't remember having to download drivers for it.

I don't have a 360 controller, but I've got a logitech something or other that I picked up. While trying to get it to work in XP, I did a lot of reading about different controllers.

Turns out Microsoft released some type of standard for game controllers and they have some universal driver. The logitech controller uses this driver.

Once I installed it, it worked but it was a bit flakey. I went to windows update and it told me I had some new drivers that needed to be downloaded. Now, normally I stay away from drivers that show up on Windows Update, but I noticed one was for my controller. I went ahead and downloaded it. When my computer restarted, it then identified my Logitech controller as an XBox 360 controller (which it is not - it's a PC gamepad).

When I switched over to Vista, I didn't have to do anything. I just plugged it in and it identified it as an XBox 360 controller.

Moral of my story is -- It should work, just plug it in and try it! :) At most you'll have to do a Windows update to get the driver, or you can download it manually. But my guess is that the controller will work out of the box on Vista.

I'm working with a wireless 360 controller, so I had to run out and get a wireless 360 controller adapter for my computer. It was only $20 and now I can game from across the room, so it's not such a bad deal

It works fine.
In fact the only difference between an "Xbox360 controller" and and "Xbox360 controller for PC" is MS adds a driver CD for the latter in the retail packaging.. at least they did when I bought mine for the PC when they came out.

Vista has inbuilt drivers and I think XP has them on windows update too.

Back