question about controllers

Kevin5255

Limp Gawd
This might be a dumb questions to start off, but since my 360 controllers have usb ports, will I be able to just plug in my xbox controller and play a game on my computer with it? I'm asking this because it's the eve of the devil may cry 4 PC release and I really want to be able to play it without mouse+keyboard. mouse and keyboard is ok for FPS, but I just don't think that it'll work with DMC4 and games like it that i might buy in the future.

now, if i can't just plug my xbox 360 controller into my usb port and use that as a controller for gaming, what's a good (read: inexpensive) controller that I'll be able to use with DMC4 and games like it on my pc?

sushicide

Limp Gawd
I'm pretty sure Vista has the driver for xbox360 pad, just give it a try, nothing to lose.

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
Pretty sure the 360 pad works with Vista out of the box. I'm planning on picking one up next time I play a console type game on my PC.

Sobek

2[H]4U
I have to agree about the drivers being included in Vista but if not, you can download them easily from the MS website. I felt the same way as you about using a controller for non FPS games. I didn't even try to play Assassins Creed with the mouse and keyboard.

CubicleGeek

Limp Gawd
Yeah it's supported as a 3-axis 14 button controller. I don't remember having to download drivers for it.

Demon10000

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't have a 360 controller, but I've got a logitech something or other that I picked up. While trying to get it to work in XP, I did a lot of reading about different controllers.

Turns out Microsoft released some type of standard for game controllers and they have some universal driver. The logitech controller uses this driver.

Once I installed it, it worked but it was a bit flakey. I went to windows update and it told me I had some new drivers that needed to be downloaded. Now, normally I stay away from drivers that show up on Windows Update, but I noticed one was for my controller. I went ahead and downloaded it. When my computer restarted, it then identified my Logitech controller as an XBox 360 controller (which it is not - it's a PC gamepad).

When I switched over to Vista, I didn't have to do anything. I just plugged it in and it identified it as an XBox 360 controller.

Moral of my story is -- It should work, just plug it in and try it! :) At most you'll have to do a Windows update to get the driver, or you can download it manually. But my guess is that the controller will work out of the box on Vista.

Kevin5255

Limp Gawd
I'm working with a wireless 360 controller, so I had to run out and get a wireless 360 controller adapter for my computer. It was only $20 and now I can game from across the room, so it's not such a bad deal

ryuen

Limp Gawd
It works fine.
In fact the only difference between an "Xbox360 controller" and and "Xbox360 controller for PC" is MS adds a driver CD for the latter in the retail packaging.. at least they did when I bought mine for the PC when they came out.

Vista has inbuilt drivers and I think XP has them on windows update too.