Question about cabeling standards

Whitebread

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
1,363
I'm getting ready to network my house. I already have some short straight through cables that I want to use to connect my network hardware (switch, router and NICs) to the wires I will run in the wall. These wires are all wired using the B stardard. In order for me to use the, I would need to attach the wire in the walls to the keystone jacks using stardard B, correct?
 

tim_m

i'm so nice
Joined
Feb 10, 2003
Messages
5,540
Originally posted by ccarrigan
yes
no actually, just so long each end is the same. it would be in your best interest to be consistent with all the runs however. the first cable run i did, i wired one way at the one end and the other way at the second end and it took me days to figure it out.
 

ccarrigan

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 26, 2003
Messages
328
Originally posted by tim
no actually, just so long each end is the same. it would be in your best interest to be consistent with all the runs however. the first cable run i did, i wired one way at the one end and the other way at the second end and it took me days to figure it out.

right, but if they're already wired on one end as the B standard (which is what i believe he is saying) then the same thing on the other end, obviously, would be the B standard
 

Whitebread

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
1,363
I'm talking about 2 different wires. I have some wires form newegg that are already crimped. Whoever assembled them used the B standard. I'm going to be runnint some cable in my walls and I was wondering if I should also use the B standard. But, now that I think about it, it doesn't really matter as long as I'm consistant with the standards I use at each end of each wire. My question is anwered, thanks guys.
 

NickTheNut

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 18, 2001
Messages
4,657
you don't have to use the same standard on those wires, as someone mentioned all you have to do is make sure each end is the same.

so you can have this: (poor ascii art ahead)

a---------a b---------b

but you can't have this:

a---------b b---------a

or some other variant.

hrm, hoped that helped.
 

Kelledin

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 19, 2001
Messages
490
As others have pointed out, it's not really that important whether you use T568A or T568B. The important thing is to be consistent on both ends of each cable and to avoid splitting pairs (i.e. don't swap green and blue without also swapping green/white and blue/white). You could even punch all your wall jacks for T568A, and the T568B patch cables you already have will still work just fine with that.

Technically, T568A is preferred for horizontal (behind-the-wall) cabling these days, mainly because the color arrangement coincides with USOC wiring standards for stuff like analog phones. Despite this preference, patch cables are traditionally wired in T568B, simply because that's what people have been used to seeing on patch cables.
 

Whitebread

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
1,363
What I was saying is that a situation like this:

B------B A-----------A B---------------B

Could arrise. I don't think it's a problem though so long as, like you said, I'm consistant at both ends.
 

tim_m

i'm so nice
Joined
Feb 10, 2003
Messages
5,540
Originally posted by Whitebread
What I was saying is that a situation like this:

B------B A-----------A B---------------B

Could arrise. I don't think it's a problem though so long as, like you said, I'm consistant at both ends.
that's perfectly fine

A----B B------A may actually work as far as each computer is concerned but this is of course not the point
 

Kelledin

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 19, 2001
Messages
490
Originally posted by tim
A----B B------A may actually work as far as each computer is concerned but this is of course not the point

Heh, you just inspired a new sig. :D
 

niccoli

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 13, 2002
Messages
432
Technically it could matter. If you were to ever have / be required to have a home inspection and the inspector wanted to they could inspect the network wiring. The T568A standard is supposed to be used in Medium to High Industry Wiring while the T578B standard is for Residential and Low Industry Wiring. I've never had an inspector that looked but I have known a few installers who had to re-crimp /re-punch cables because they got some jerk of an inspector.
 

Whitebread

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
1,363
OK, even though it doesn't matter from a technological standpoint I'm going to do everything in the B standard just to make it easier.
 

jeffmoss26

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 1, 2002
Messages
2,267
The above post is wrong. T568A is recommended for residential, and T568B is for commercial installs. But it doesn't matter as long as you use the same wiring scheme throughout the network.
Inspectors usually don't inspect cabling at all.
 

Kelledin

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 19, 2001
Messages
490
jeffmoss26 has it right, at least going by "Cabling: The Complete Guide to Network Wiring (Second Edition)" [David Groth, Jim McBee, and David Barnett]. Official requirement for horizontal cabling in residential installations is T568A, while commercial installations prefer T568B. As an exception, federal government contracts require T568A.

(I'd quote the appropriate portions of the book, but I'm not sure how that works under fair-use laws. It's a book I'd recommend all cabling freaks purchase and keep within reach.)

Confused yet? :rolleyes:
 

jeffmoss26

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 1, 2002
Messages
2,267
nope, not confused at all. Maybe ask a mod if it's okay to quote some of the book on here. I have read that book, it's a pretty decent source of information, but very expensive.
 

Whitebread

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
1,363
Why would you need permission to quote a book on the [H]? It's not like the publisher is browsing on here looking for people that are quoting their book. And, it's not like your writing a paper either.
 

fibroptikl

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 9, 2000
Messages
7,339
Originally posted by Kelledin
jeffmoss26 has it right, at least going by "Cabling: The Complete Guide to Network Wiring (Second Edition)" [David Groth, Jim McBee, and David Barnett]. Official requirement for horizontal cabling in residential installations is T568A, while commercial installations prefer T568B. As an exception, federal government contracts require T568A.

(I'd quote the appropriate portions of the book, but I'm not sure how that works under fair-use laws. It's a book I'd recommend all cabling freaks purchase and keep within reach.)

Confused yet? :rolleyes:
No, not confused but I'm gonna add that book to my list.
 

jeffmoss26

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 1, 2002
Messages
2,267
yep it's a good book. I just go into Borders and sit and read it, then I don't have to spend 50 bucks on it. Plus most of the info can be found online.
 
Top