Question about building a site..

itachi183

Limp Gawd
Hey, this is probably the most asked question on the internet but well here it goes:

Can anyone reccomend me some good sites on what I should learn in order to build a website? I'm trying to build one just to showcase a product of mine, I have already bought the domain on godaddy (although I have no idea how to use it) I also have photoshop I heard you can make layouts with this. Anyway, can anyone link me to some guides on what I should generally do to get one up? I know nothing remember so I need to know from the very beginning lol

Any of the following:
- Buy a book from Borders; the "... for Dummies" or something similar would be good.
- Use Photoshop to help draw the layout, then slice using its automated tool
- Use Photoshop to draw the layout, implement using another HTML editor (tons of free ones out there)
- Hire a website design company.

I just started working on a website that helps people create a website of their own. It's called www.createmoneymakingwebsites.com (shameless plug) and is still in the early beta stages. The focus of the site is going to be two fold, 1) Help People Create a Website, then 2) Help them make money off their site. Right now, most of the content focuses on web creation.

I just started working on it at the beginning of this month. There are a lot of details that go into website building so I may not have everything you are looking for just yet. A lot of what I have on there is mostly theory and some links to other resources. I having been adding new content or at least making some changes every day.

I would be more than willing to help you out, whether it be tutorials or whatever. It would be a great opportunity for feed back.

PM me if you'd like.

[H]exx;1034123739 said:
Using Photoshop for a layout is great...however, do not get confused as to what that means. Essentially all you are doing in photoshop is making an image (or several) of what your site will look like. Once this is done then you need to slice it up and prepare it for the actual layout of your site. It's not as easy as 1, 2, 3 for beginners to photoshop (although, once you learn, it's really not that hard).

As mentioned above w3schools and tizag are probably the best places to start on the web. I know the Sams "Teach yourself..." books are pretty good...I used one like 8-10 years ago when starting out with PHP4. Even though HTML (and XHTML) are pretty "easy," that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of content on the subject(s). Just an FYI.

I stumbled upon this a while back. They have some pretty good tutorials on what Hexx is talking about.

Back