Question about bandwidth use

vsboxerboy

2[H]4U
So I've just started backing up my pictures (just about 40GB worth) to an online storage site. I'm a bit concerned that if I do it all this month that my ISP will be pissed.

Is this a valid concern? I mean, I pay for the bandwidth, right?

Depends on your ISP. If you live in the US, you probably don't need to worry about a cap (for now).

If it's a one time peak usage, then it should be fine. Otherwise, if you're consistently using a lot of bandwidth (like several hundred GBs every month), then you'll probably be contacted by your ISP.
Plus ISPs should know that many consumers are now using internet data backup services, so it won't be a big surprise to them.

It just depends if your ISP has caps or is unlimited.

I'm on Time Warner and they offer unlimited and I transfer about a terabyte a month and they have never said anything or throttled me.

The main US ISPs that have caps now are Comcast, Charter, and ATT.

We don't have a cap - so I suppose no worries.

Yeah it'll just be a one peak for the month most likely. Backups are additive, not overturning so it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks - just annoyed reading these things like AT&T limiting peak users, etc.

Are the caps that some ISP's have a combined upload/download cap?
All I've read mentioned is downloads and no mention of uploads.

Are the caps that some ISP's have a combined upload/download cap?
All I've read mentioned is downloads and no mention of uploads.

they (the ISPs) generalize it with just using the word "bandwidth."

the cap is based on all bandwidth usage, which includes both upload and download.

Anyone know if Charter's limit is for both ways? Or just download? I had my arse handed to me the other month for my usage since they've put the cap in place recently & I just assumed it was for download, but now I don't know. :eek: Haven't gotten around to calling back.

Anyone know if Charter's limit is for both ways? Or just download? I had my arse handed to me the other month for my usage since they've put the cap in place recently & I just assumed it was for download, but now I don't know. :eek: Haven't gotten around to calling back.

as with every ISP, it includes both incoming and outgoing bandwidth.

Ahh ok, figured as much. I didn't see your comment above, thanks

Assuming the bulk of your files doesn't change 40gb per month you might be able to do a differential or incremental backup to capture the changes only. So maybe a onetime 40gb hit, then your changes going forward.

Yeah, I've just today finished uploading the last of them. I think the changes will be incremental from now on.

Back