Question about archive arc in Outlook and Exchange...

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
Yo,

We have an Exchange server here at work, and when you restore an account from the server it saves damn near everything, but I am concerned about the auto archive feature in Outlook, do those emails get recreated by the server if we have to format the computer?

the auto archive feature creates an archive.pst file on the local machine, and pulls the messages out of Exchange.

c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\

you will need to be able to view hidden and system files to see the directory.

the auto archive feature creates an archive.pst file on the local machine, and pulls the messages out of Exchange.

c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\

you will need to be able to view hidden and system files to see the directory.

So if I had to reformat this users computer without saving any of the .pst files everything in the archive would be gone?

That is correct, the archives are stored in the pst files locally, that have been formatted over. You can try a data recovery app that can sometimes recover data even from a drive that has had windows reinstally, the only one I have used is GetDataBack on a live cd but that's been for small files, I bet you chances are relatively low with a big archive.

Back