Question about 3DTV with HTPC

Deimos

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a 55" 3D Samsung on the way, I'm just wondering what it would take to get 3D in some form from my HTPC.

I have a bluray drive and PowerDVD 11 (3D capable software) the rest of the specs are:

Asus Maximus II Formula
Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz
Radeon 4870
8GB Ram
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD

So with this setup is it possible to watch 3D bluray and/or play games in 3D?

The other option that I have is an upgrade to a 5870 (in my gaming PC) so if the 4870 can't do it, can the 5870?

TIA

I don't know. I know there is a discussion about it in my proposed linux htpc thread as I am going to start building it once I get my new pair of speakers I want.

I think the 4870 can play 3d content just fine. But it's always good if you can upgrade.

I have a panasonic st 30 65" I just play a sbs 3d file from my htpc and hit the 3d button on my remote and it works great. I have a gt430 graphics card but not sure about the br player how you are doing it...

Side-by-side or top-bottom content will work just fine, but if you want frame packed 3D (Blu-Ray 3D) you need an HDMI 1.4a GPU. If my memory serves me the 5870 doesn't officially support it but I think I got it to work. But that was a long time ago and I could be forgetting something important.

Also I think Cyberlink might be able to convert frame-packed content to side-by-side?

Try it, dude.

Just fouind out the the TV isn't coming till about the middle of June, but I'll let you know how I get on.

The 5870 only supports HDMI 1.3a so no 3D, I updated my HTPC to a 7770 (from the 4870) which will only be slightly slower for gaming, but that doesn't matter a great deal since gaming will only be at 1080p, and I don't game much on the TV anyways.

Pretty much, as it pertains to 3d gaming your only choice is Nvidia. For 3d movies, Nvidia is yet again your only choice. AMD's newest cards support 3d movies and games technically but they don't really have it ready to go. They prefer to leave the hooks exposed for third parties to do the work and make apps or whatever.

Back