Question about 30" and dual - link

Tzzird

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys. My buddy just bought a 30" monitor that he has connected to his 8800gts 320mb. He says that he is unable to choose a resolution above 1280x800.

What could his problem be? Is there chance that he is using a DVI cable that is only single link rather than dual link?

AIUI, if he's using a suitably recent version of Windows drivers should not be an issue (7/x64 autodetected my Apple 30" Cinema Display immediately on connection, for instance). But the 1280x800 cap is a cable issue...if it's a proper dual-link cable, the ends should look like this.

AIUI, if he's using a suitably recent version of Windows drivers should not be an issue (7/x64 autodetected my Apple 30" Cinema Display immediately on connection, for instance). But the 1280x800 cap is a cable issue...if it's a proper dual-link cable, the ends should look like this.

Thanks for the responses. He bought a $50 10 foot DVI dual link cable from microcenter and it worked. Now to get him to return it for something cheaper.

Even for Microcenter...damn. Turn that man on to Monoprice ASAP (or, depending on where you are, a cursory check of Mom & Pop computer stores might be in order).

Thanks for the responses. He bought a $50 10 foot DVI dual link cable from microcenter and it worked. Now to get him to return it for something cheaper.

Wow a $50 cable??? That's ridiculous!! Monoprice is the way to go.

Even for Microcenter...damn. Turn that man on to Monoprice ASAP (or, depending on where you are, a cursory check of Mom & Pop computer stores might be in order).

Wow a $50 cable??? That's ridiculous!! Monoprice is the way to go.

Monoprice is only about $10 for that same cable. I told him to check it out but he had to have it yesterday. I'm guessing he'll try to order from monoprice and return the cable to microcenter (if they allow him to).

But then again, this is the same guy that asked me my advice on whether he should get a 30" or 2 24". I told him 2 24's are the way to go since he is trying to save money. Then he goes out and buys two 30 inch Dells.

Well, hey, we all succumb to the must-have-now! thing for one reason or another. In this case, at least it was for a practical reason. :)

Well, hey, we all succumb to the must-have-now! thing for one reason or another. In this case, at least it was for a practical reason. :)

the call of something bigger and better is a terrible thing

the computer world is a harsh mistress (damn that money grubbing gold digger)

i have 2X 30" dell on order as well :)

Back