Question about 120hz monitors

Elapido

n00b
I have some questions about 120hz monitors. Can they be set to 1920x1080, not only at 60 hz or 120 hz, but also at intermediate frequencies such as 75, 85 or 100 hz? Can any user confirm this? I'm thinking about the LG or Samsung models.

And my second question: is it true that using a frequency of 120hz will make all sign of tearing disappear when using vsync off. Then you could have the maximum framerate your computer can achieve and perfect smoothness, just like using 120hz + vsync. With my CRT, no matter if I use 60, 100 or 120 hz, and very high framerates, vsync off is never as smooth as vsync on.

I have to make a decision about buying a 60hz monitor (200€) or a 120hz (330€) and since most of my games cannot reach 120fps, but 70, 80, 100... depending on the case, I don't want to spend extra cash in a monitor that will not report any benefit if I'm forced to set it at 60 hz, unless it magically improves smoothness also at 60hz...

Thanks.

Well to start out , no for the most part you get only 60hz or 120hz. I'm not sure if you could use something like powerstrip to edit in a different refresh rate profile , perhaps you can.

And to respond to your second question it does help with screen tearing because of the higher refresh rate of the monitor it does a better job of keeping up with the video cards desire to spit out more frames per second with v-sync disabled. The difference is quite striking and its a nice side benefit of 120hz panels. This difference is noticable even when games are running at 120 fps.

Ever since I started using a 120hz panel its ALL I use for gaming in general. I'm completely spoiled by it and it really makes a difference.

My BenQ lets me choose between 59, 60, 100, 110 and 120 Hz.

In my 3d Laptop :cool: I can set intermediate frequencies, no problem, but once you set 120Hz you don't want to go back to lesser refresh rates

The Acer I had also allowed 60, 100, 110, 120. Never tried to force anything other than that.

Thankyou for the replies. Anyone can confirm this with the LG? I really like this model because it's supposed to have no lag at all. Do you recommend it?

Thankyou for the replies. Anyone can confirm this with the LG? I really like this model because it's supposed to have no lag at all. Do you recommend it?

LG W2363D allows to set 120, 110, 100, 60, 59, (30 and 29 "interlaced") Hz.

I can highly recommend it for gaming and other stuff. Picture is very smooth and input lag is 0 with THRU mode (picture must be full-sized), but sometimes there seems to be little tearing with movies and gaming. Don't know what that's about but it doesn't really bother me. I didn't notice any tearing at movies when I had 60 Hz with my old pc though... Very happy with this thing now but I would love to buy a bigger one.

Back