Quest now supports Oculus Rift VR Games

*Beta

total click bait, I was excited thinking it was officially released with all bugs ironed out :(

still cool though, can't wait for the side-by-side comparison against rift s :)

I bought the officially recommended Anker cable for this, but the only one Amazon had in stock was the 3ft one, so I also purchased a 10ft extension cable that supposedly worked according to a user-maintained spreadsheet I found on Reddit.

It technically works in that the Oculus software recognizes it, but it causes the headset to frequently disconnect from my PC which bounces me out of whatever game I was playing. I took the 10ft extension cable out of the chain and the problem went away. Dug into it further and apparently if you want to use an extension cable, it needs to be an active cable, not a passive one. I wish I knew that ahead of time so I figured I'd post here to warn people. I returned the cable and extension and bought this instead and it works great and is in stock, unlike the Anker one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7NNJ61/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_BKC2DbFJ6EMV6

Lastly, for anyone that is concerned that this is just a beta: so far, for me, it has worked well and the experience has been indiscernible from that of using a Rift.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Works great so far for me, though I have to use a specific usb port on my laptop. Better IQ than rift cv1 and no bugs so far, and I don't have an officially supported video card.

Works great so far for me, though I have to use a specific usb port on my laptop. Better IQ than rift cv1 and no bugs so far, and I don't have an officially supported video card.

How is the SDE compared to CV1? Is it still painfully visible? That is the only thing that keeps me from ditching my TV and enjoying movies in my own personal Imax theater. :D

How is the SDE compared to CV1? Is it still painfully visible? That is the only thing that keeps me from ditching my TV and enjoying movies in my own personal Imax theater. :D

It's much better than cv1. To the point it's noticeable only if you stop and look for it. For reference, I also have an Odyssey+ which has virtually no SDE, and going to the Quest is not jarring, unlike the CV1. I have not been able to discern any compression artifacts, either. The biggest difference going between the Odyssey+ and Quest is the reduced FOV - which is around the same as the CV1.

Tethering with the Quest seems to be a pretty good option for those that want to dabble in VR - performance/visual quality seems to be somewhere between the original Rift and the Rift S: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/oculus-link

Once Oculus releases that longer 15' fiber based cable, it's going to open up a nice alternative VR option for quite a few folks.

I'm hoping they get around to releasing a Quest 2.0 based on the newer Snapdragon 865 or a variant of it with even higher resolution screens eventually.... They would then not even need to bother with a successor to the Rift S. A Quest on steroids (Snapdragon 865) would really open up solo VR performance for gaming as the newer Snapdragon easily has 2-3x the performance of the 835. It would also provide a lot more umph for an improved tethering pass-through capability.

Oculus Link had me second guessing going with the Quest over the Rift S quite a bit. But the one big downside to the Quest is it is very front heavy and uncomfortable for extended periods of playing (I had uncomfortable pressure on the front of my cheeks after about 30 minutes). Shoving all this extra hardware and especially the battery into the front is far from ideal. Sure you can blow another $100+ for different straps to make it a bit more comfortable but then your $400 VR headset just became 25%+ more expensive.

I’m hoping the Quest 2 or whatever the successor will be called has the battery in the back to counter balance the headset better. Until then, comfort reigns supreme and I’m enjoying my Rift S for PCVR.

The SDE and god rays are much better on the Quest when compared to CV1. The Rift-S has even less SDE than the Quest and the screen is a lot more crisp. I tried the 3 meter Anker cable and it worked well but the screen was a lot less crisp than my rift-s. Text that would be clearly visible on the S was blurry on the Quest. For me Virtual Desktop is still the way to go if you want to play PCVR games on a Quest as long as you have a good 5GHz AC router.

Oculus Link had me second guessing going with the Quest over the Rift S quite a bit. But the one big downside to the Quest is it is very front heavy and uncomfortable for extended periods of playing (I had uncomfortable pressure on the front of my cheeks after about 30 minutes). Shoving all this extra hardware and especially the battery into the front is far from ideal. Sure you can blow another $100+ for different straps to make it a bit more comfortable but then your $400 VR headset just became 25%+ more expensive.

I’m hoping the Quest 2 or whatever the successor will be called has the battery in the back to counter balance the headset better. Until then, comfort reigns supreme and I’m enjoying my Rift S for PCVR.
That is good real world feedback - hopefully they will address that in the next version along with more display bandwidth and screen improvements.

I haven't had an issue with comfort, I use the top strap to hold it up so it doesn't seem to put much pressure on my face. Longest I've worn it is around 2 hours playing lone echo.

Back