Quasar 42" 4K 60hz with HDMI 2

Im starting to think Ill need a second 980 for this beast. Some of the games Ive played didn't pull the greatest frame rates. Id have to do a second 980 since they are the only cards with an HDMI 2.0 output. I was thinking of a 295x2 but there would be no way to get 4k 60hz out of that card.

I'll probably go with a 960 in a few weeks. I'm no gamer, so the pressure isn't really on to make the jump. But I will!

At this point, I've boosted my font size to 180% and reenabled ClearType. This has provided a great balance between smoother fonts without making the cursor look swollen. :D

I'm very pleased with this at this point. My main attraction to this screen was the sheer size of it, making life easier on my eyes. I feel like it's meeting my needs splendidly now.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!

Got my 970s today!

1107.jpg

1106.jpg

Picked up a second 980 off ebay. 4K gaming isn't cheap!

Hell with some poorly optimized (for SLI) games, performance can be bad at 1440p with my dual 980 setup. 4K must be a real bitch with the wrong game.

Hell with some poorly optimized (for SLI) games, performance can be bad at 1440p with my dual 980 setup. 4K must be a real bitch with the wrong game.

Possibly but its the best option I have right now with this monitor. I know of no other card that has a HDMI 2.0 output.

I just used this to calibrate my TV.... wish I could set tint but with digital(HDMI) connections the TV greys out that option. If and when someone gets the service menu code we could adjust tint.

brightness 42

contrast 32

color 63 <This might change if I were able to adjust tint

tint 50 *cannot adjust*

color temp normal

ei5zdxrvvjfhpqcmermi.jpg

Results: 4k ultra at 60fps

16663798368_56921cb744_b.jpg

Last edited:
60hz 1080

overly sensational WOAH

I may have stumbled upon 2160p 60hz 444. I'm trying to repeat the process to see if windows/nvidia was confused. The 444 test images took dead on. It was a couple step process and mostly got there by accident.

Red mere 18gbs hdmi 2 cable (standard hdmi cables, even if they work with hdmi 2, are only 11gbs ish),

Sorry the JPEG compression is killing it. I'm assuming that the image being shown is what it is supposed to look like because it looks the same on both my iPad and a 2560 Korean (1:1 non zoomed etc)

image.jpg

Sorry the JPEG compression is killing it. I'm assuming that the image being shown is what it is supposed to look like because it looks the same on both my iPad and a 2560 Korean (1:1 non zoomed etc)

Cool stuff, YCbCr encoding is how I got my old LG to do 4:4:4. Are you able to select "full" under the dynamic range option for color in your second screenshot? Does RGB mode look any different?

Wish someone could test input latency for these, they seem like a real bargain!

i am confused by the photo results:both 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 are visible, with 4:2:2 more visible. what does it means? is it truly displaying the 4:4:4 output that the nvidia card is providing?

Well fudge, I can't get it to do it again.. I forgot something. I'll keep messing. It was completely not something I was intending but I caught the 3840x2160/60hz tv mode switch while still having the 444.

Custom res 3840, reduced blank, 59hz. RGB wasn't an option in the drop down (it gave a list of 1 where 444 was the only option). Dynamic range you couldn't change. Not sure if custom res was switched, the tv was 3840 mode but I wasn't trying to set it.

Unfortunately it was noticeably laggier. Not a 30hz judder style lag but like the TV needed longer to process the signal.

Argh

I was using one of the 4k2k emulated resolutions (like 2560x1440 where it is stretched to 3840 - one of the options immediately below standard uhd). What I was trying to figure out was how to get one of those stretched resolutions (which actually look fairly good - gpu scaling?) to have a higher than 30hz frame rate.

Those options show up too if you use 3840 at 30hz. Honestly I'm not 100% sure on that, but they do on the Seiki 39 so I'm assuming it will on the Quasar also.

Yeah, I don't have either of those options on my 980 SLI setup. What driver are you sing? Are you suing a custom resolution?

Same GPU as mine, driver is 347.88. Resolution is 1440p60, but this shows up on my projector and 1080p60 monitors as well.

Well, I dropped down to 2560x1440 but at 30mhz. I'm only doing desktop, no gaming, so it's really no problem. I enabled stretching in the Nvidia Control Panel and set fonts to 125%. I also am using a custom color profile generated with my new ColorMunki. At this resolution, things are great looking. I can run it a native resolution and everything looks good, but it's a bit small for these eyes.

Regardless, I'm pleased as punch now.

w00t!

Ok, looks like a lot of you guys are running at some resolution other than 3840x2160. At 3840x2160 @60Hz I don't get those options but any other resolution I do.

Last edited:
I wonder if you set it at 3840x2160 30fps will it hold those setting in memory after going back to 60fps.

Well, Ive had mine for a month now and Im quite happy with it. There is now way in hell Id be able to go back to a smaller monitor now.

10 pages and still no conclusive answer to the question:

can it really do 4k 60Hz 4:4:4:confused:

10 pages and still no conclusive answer to the question:

can it really do 4k 60Hz 4:4:4:confused:

Who gives a shit...at this price you'd be lucky if it can do 1:1:1: :D

Great value for the undiscerning buyer, can bring a lot of tighter budgets into the 4k tent. Very cool.

Just turned mine on and it's started making a ticking noise. Normal startup, shows the Quasar logo just fine, goes to black as normal and when it switches to whatever hdmi mode I last had it set for and it immediately starts making a ticking sound every .5 seconds. Screen still displays everything, doesn't appear to have any other issue, but it's both disconcerting and annoying. Emanates from the bottom right next to the LED. Kinda sounds like it's coming from speaker.

I'll take it apart later to see if there are any capacitors that are blowing up or something, but figured I'd see if anyone else came upon this.

Wanted to thank everyone here, and on other boards regarding using 4K UHD's as desktop monitors. The info here swayed me to get the Quasar 42" as well as a new vid card. The big bonus was that I was able to eBay my 5 year old 30" Dell (U3011) as well as the 5450 video card for a value equal to the purchase of a new 42" Quasar (sale at Overstock.com) AND a new GTX970 card (Newegg). No extra $$ out of pocket. Sweet. The card came in Saturday, and the Quasar came in yesterday. I got it all set up and connected very quickly, then carefully studied the tweaking recipes found in this thread. Was able to get the 3840x2160/60hz, the 4:4:4 test image to render, as well as the test text image where I was able to read the bottom two lines (don't really know if this is a objective test of true 4:4:4). Played a full screen 4K YouTube video, absolutely stunning. The downside is the screen font/text quality. Slightly jagged no matter what I did (including scaling text up)...but workable considering. I am NOT a gamer. My objective was massive desktop pixel real estate, which it more than reasonably provided (I would have no problems going even larger now)

Everything was coming along swimmingly! I kept thinking how the person that bought my eBay'ed stuff obviously wasn't aware of the 4K options. Downloaded Firefox to see if it rendered better than Chrome, walked away during the install, came back about 20 minutes later...and... UUUuuugh!!! Half the screen was all static (exactly half). reconnected, rebooted, changed HDMI ports... went to the menu on the remote, and even the menu was half gone behind the static. Monitor hard power cycle produced the same thing with the Quasar splash screen. So I new it BRICKED. Already placed the RMA with Overstock for a replacement, will try once more (although this is a minimum 2-week turnaround) Soooo close. (tried to link images directly here, but just broken icons)

c5e6e848bef81aba644b5c789bd5a741.jpg
f4c551dbb11633207f3853f2d02ea535.jpg

. . . Was able to get the 3840x2160/60hz, the 4:4:4 test image to render, as well as the test text image where I was able to read the bottom two lines . . .
Wait, so you are able to clearly see the "4:4:4" on the bottom half of the image here, with the "4:2:2" on the top half barely showing, and with the image scaled at exactly 100%?

UPDATE: Please see my follow-on/subsequent post regarding the 30Hz/60Hz 4:4:4 test below

Wait, so you are able to clearly see the "4:4:4" on the bottom half of the image here, with the "4:2:2" on the top half barely showing, and with the image scaled at exactly 100%?

I sooo wanted to take a screen shot of what I had, as a picture is worth 1000 words. The image you linked I opened on a 24" Samsung, (using that now). As I am writing this I am realizing half of my 42" screen still works...(that half is STILL twice as much desktop than the 24" Samsung.): :eek:

Volla!

100% pattern(s) in MS Paint. I screwed with the settings after the failure, and for some reason it wont let me back in 60Hz, but as you can see, its at 59Hz. I will say the picture doesn't do the 'brown fox' text justice. I can read it, its not crystal clear like the lines above it, but very legible. If I didn't do it right let me know. (BTW, The good news is the staticy lines on the right side of the screen went away while I was doing these pics, the bad news is that side is now totally blank/black - Awesome black tho! Also, Overstock.com called and they are cross-shipping a replacement. So 7 business days not 14. Props to Overstock)

HiRez: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/69/88/40/698840157aad6f7885bcb34f1562211a.jpg
&
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/4c/d8/4c/4cd84c66bf85b99a3b95c593d2e9f1ac.jpg

698840157aad6f7885bcb34f1562211a.jpg

4cd84c66bf85b99a3b95c593d2e9f1ac.jpg

Last edited:
Back