Quasar 42" 4K 60hz with HDMI 2

Maybe try one of the test images? (mystieus beat me to it :) )

Its supposed to show 4:2:2 clearly or no clear image for 4:2:0.

-PG

If you can read the blue text it's 4:4:4. You shouldn't be able to read the blue text on 4:2:0.

What is this TV? ... Why am I able to read the blue text?
nka6xxa.jpg

Last edited:
If you can read the blue text it's 4:4:4. You shouldn't be able to read the blue text on 4:2:0.

What is this TV? ... Why am I able to read the blue text?
nka6xxa.jpg

Is this at 60hz? Maybe it's 4:2:2? It certainly doesn't look like 4:2:0 as that should be completely unreadable

I think you have the image zoomed in. Im pretty sure you have to view it at the pictures native size. I have that image. its 1920x1080. When I view it at its native size, the blue text is unreadable. If I expand the mage with my mouse wheel the text becomes readable.

I think you have the image zoomed in. Im pretty sure you have to view it at the pictures native size. I have that image. its 1920x1080. When I view it at its native size, the blue text is unreadable. If I expand the mage with my mouse wheel the text becomes readable.

Okay, I see what you mean.. in Paint I set the image to 1280x720 blue text is unreadable.

Last edited:
Here is a video showing the relative display lag between the Quasar (left) and my Korean 1440p monitor(right). Both monitors are @ 60hz and its not really a problem for desktop use.

On the plus side the 42in Quasar has a very similar DPI to the 27in Potalion so the windows and text dont shrink/expand when you move them between the monitors.

Sorry about the blurry video.

-PG

Last edited:
Here is a video showing the relative display lag between the Quasar (left) and my Korean 1440p monitor(right). Both monitors are @ 60hz and its not really a problem for desktop use.

On the plus side the 42in Quasar has a very similar DPI to the 27in Potalion so the windows and text dont shrink/expand when you move them between the monitors.

Sorry about the blurry video.

-PG
Quasar has a S-MVA panel. Doesn't the Korean 1440p monitor have a IPS? There are always trade offs. A IPS display cant touch a S-MVA black level but IPS have better color accuracy, viewing angles and slightly better response time. These new breed of VA panels have better response time over IPS.

Basically S-MVA is in between a TN and IPS panels.

Has anyone found their way into the service menu? perhaps we can bring those ms response down even more... I Played BF4 last night it was great! had no problems

I played BF4 and Arkham Origins today and it was awesome. I also had no issues. My only complaints on the TV so far is that surfing the net looks best on IE and Im not a fan of the glossy screen.

Potalion is 27in IPS with no input scaler (DVI-D only).

Did you do you special settings to improve the lag? I dont see how first-person-shooters like BF4 can be playable with the lag I'm experiencing.

-PG

Did you do you special settings to improve the lag? I dont see how first-person-shooters like BF4 can be playable with the lag I'm experiencing.

-PG

No special settings.

There are other things can effect lag such as the equipment you are using even down to the HDMI cable.. we're talking milliseconds.

I have my TV set to HDMI graphic* with a HDMI 2.0 cable. Don't know if the cable helps but if it can get data to the TV faster..

$_57.JPG

It would be interesting to see a test on the latency from a few different owners.

-PG

What GPU are you using? You could be maxing out your ram. 4k is a lot.. I'm running BF4 on High settings on a 780 ti.

Don't you need some sort of testing gear for that? Or are you talking by sight?

Something like this but I guess it would require you to have a CRT laying around. I know I got rid of all mine years ago so it may not be possible for some.

Something like this but I guess it would require you to have a CRT laying around. I know I got rid of all mine years ago so it may not be possible for some.

A few years ago I played around with OpenCV briefly. I'm surprised that nobody has an app to hook up a high frame rate webcam to compare 2 monitors or an LED vs. monitor and output the estimated lag in milliseconds.

-PG

You would need a *very* high framerate webcam.

Even at 120fps, your margin of error would be 16ms.

Well my Quasar has been re-purposed as a Bedroom TV and the 3x1440p monitors are back on my PC. Lag was just too much. I'll probably replace my middle monitor with a ROG Swift and stick with 1440p for the near term.

-PG

Well my Quasar has been re-purposed as a Bedroom TV and the 3x1440p monitors are back on my PC. Lag was just too much. I'll probably replace my middle monitor with a ROG Swift and stick with 1440p for the near term.

-PG

Since going back to the PC monitors what are somethings you miss on the Quasar?

Ive had mine a week now and am very happy with it. Just did a lot of gaming this past weekend and loved the huge increase in screen size. My only real complaint now is the glossy screen. Im not a fan of that.

I never lost sight that I was buying a HDTV. It would never be as fast as a dedicated PC monitor... specifically one that's not pushing as many pixels as this TV.

Just received my Polaroid screen and hooked it up. Everything is working but seems to have a very sharp edge to it. I've tried adjusting Gamma to 1.00, Digital Vibrance to 40%, and configured ClearType, but edges of things like windows & fonts seem too sharp.

I have the tv in Graphic mode and the picture is set to 'Soft'.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm keeping the screen regardless, but I'd love to be able to use it for my PC.

Thanks for any help!

Ben

Just received my Polaroid screen and hooked it up. Everything is working but seems to have a very sharp edge to it. I've tried adjusting Gamma to 1.00, Digital Vibrance to 40%, and configured ClearType, but edges of things like windows & fonts seem too sharp.

I have the tv in Graphic mode and the picture is set to 'Soft'.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm keeping the screen regardless, but I'd love to be able to use it for my PC.

Thanks for any help!

Ben
Before setting HDMI to Graphic I put sharpness to 0 ...but the Graphic mode probably override that anyways.

I agree there is a sharpness to it.. I'm still waiting for someone to find out the service menu code. We can than set sharpness ourselves.

Before setting HDMI to Graphic I put sharpness to 0 ...but the Graphic mode probably override that anyways.

I agree there is a sharpness to it.. I'm still waiting for someone to find out the service menu code. We can than set sharpness ourselves.

Changing sharpness to 0 made a HUGE difference. There's still a bit of an issue with the fonts, but everything is nearly perfect now. I'm going to try to get a color calibrator to tighten up the color balance, but this thing is totally usable now.

My only remaining niggle is getting my mouse speed to work correctly.

I do notice a bit of a stutter when playing video with VLC. I'm guessing my poor little GTX750 is chugging a bit with the increased video demands.

Getting dang close though!

Thanks for all the help!
:cool:

I was told to set sharpness to 0 on another 4k display.. It seems 4k is such a high resolution sharpness is pretty much not needed.

remember to set the tv to 60hz on nvidia control panel.. since we're(kepler users) doing the 4:2:0 down sampling to achieve 60hz It might not be doing it automatically.

Last edited:
I was told to set sharpness to 0 on another 4k display.. It seems 4k is such a high resolution sharpness is pretty much not needed.

remember to set the tv to 60hz on nvidia control panel.. since we're(kepler users) doing the 4:2:0 down sampling to achieve 60hz It might not be doing it automatically.

Yep, it defaulted to 30hz out of the box but it was the first thing I changed. Would a 960 card, which support HDMI 2.0, have better image quality? Considering how reasonable that card is, I'd definitely consider it if it would make a difference.

Thanks for the help!;)

The TV is 4:2:0 or 4:2:2. If its 4:2:2 you will see a increase in picture quality. No one has verified which one it is however it's definitely not 4:4:4.

You don't have to get a 960.. there are display-port 1.2 to hdmi 2.0 adapters coming soon.

Last edited:
I did read about those coming probably next quarter. I suppose I *could* wait. Not much fun in that though. :)

Regardless, this is totally usable now. I'm thrilled with this. It'll be even better when I mount it on an arm.

Thanks again!

The TV is 4:2:0 or 4:2:2. If its 4:2:2 you will see a increase in picture quality. No one has verified which one it is however it's definitely not 4:4:4.

You don't have to get a 960.. there are display-port 1.2 to hdmi 2.0 adapters coming soon.

Adapters are coming, but there's no way they'll be below $100. Best bet is to sell your current video card and buy a new one.

Adapters are coming, but there's no way they'll be below $100. Best bet is to sell your current video card and buy a new one.

I don't think they will be that much... display-port 1.2 to hdmi 1.4 adapters cost under $10

I don't think they will be that much... display-port 1.2 to hdmi 1.4 adapters cost under $10

Those are passive adapters. Active costs more and high bandwidth passive costs way more. DP to Dual-link DVI with 3D highrefresh support are $100.

Those are passive adapters. Active costs more and high bandwidth passive costs way more. DP to Dual-link DVI with 3D highrefresh support are $100.

That's true. It would be a better option to just to sale his old card and get a 960.

There are other things can effect lag such as the equipment you are using even down to the HDMI cable.. we're talking milliseconds.

I have my TV set to HDMI graphic* with a HDMI 2.0 cable. Don't know if the cable helps but if it can get data to the TV faster..

No, we're not talking ms.

https://www.google.com/search?q=speed+of+electricity&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Light travels through empty space at 186,000 miles per second. The electricity which flows through the wires in your homes and appliances travels much slower: only about 1/100 th the speed of light.

Found this

"Test image : http://abload.de/img/chromaresmzjib.png

And here are examples of what it should look like:
  • 4:4:4 display - the "4:4:4" text is darker than the background, and "4:2:2" should barely be visible.
  • 4:2:2 display - the "4:2:2" text should be brighter than the background, and the "4:4:4" text should almost blend into the background. There should be a bright border around the edge of the image.
  • 4:2:0 display - none of the text is clearly visible (it may be faintly visible) and the center of the image should be dark, with a bright border around the edge of the screen."

Going by this test image it look like we may have a 4:2:2 display... what do you guys see?

Found this

"Test image : http://abload.de/img/chromaresmzjib.png

And here are examples of what it should look like:
  • 4:4:4 display - the "4:4:4" text is darker than the background, and "4:2:2" should barely be visible.
  • 4:2:2 display - the "4:2:2" text should be brighter than the background, and the "4:4:4" text should almost blend into the background. There should be a bright border around the edge of the image.
  • 4:2:0 display - none of the text is clearly visible (it may be faintly visible) and the center of the image should be dark, with a bright border around the edge of the screen."

Going by this test image it look like we may have a 4:2:2 display... what do you guys see?

Agreed. This presents as a 4:2:2 screen.

Still messing with fonts. I've actually turned off Clear type and it seems to be a bit better. Fonts in titlebars or other areas against a lighter background still are not super sharp, but without cleartype, it's a bit better.

I've read about some folks disabling Anti-aliasing. Is that just a game thing or can we do that in the desktop? Just curious.:confused:

Back