Quasar 42" 4K 60hz with HDMI 2

Im keeping mine as a monitor. The 4:2:0 is completely manageable with some control panel tweaks. My previous monitor was a BenQ 32" and the experience using a 42" is so nice Ill look past its shortcomings. If someone comes out with a 40-42' monitor that does 4:4:4 for ~$600 then I might consider replacing the Quasar but, for me, its not worth it to shell out more than that.

@pbassjunk I am trying to get a grasp on what 4:2:0 looks like for desktop use, do you have any photos? Do you find using it ok?

Zero issues. I've got the sc

image.jpg

image.jpg

Apologies for the moire pattern.. it's the camera, not the screen. Zero issues with 4:2:0 as a desktop monitor.

I'll get a shot of one of the 444 test images too.

You can tell it's not 100% perfect, it's only about 94.6% perfect. But the more I use it and get used to it, the 420 unsuitable for daily use thing is very overblown.

It's very much like having the sharpness set all the way to 0, but really it's only on 1.

Apologies for the moire pattern.. it's the camera, not the screen. Zero issues with 4:2:0 as a desktop monitor.

I'll get a shot of one of the 444 test images too.

You can tell it's not 100% perfect, it's only about 94.6% perfect. But the more I use it and get used to it, the 420 unsuitable for daily use thing is very overblown.

It's very much like having the sharpness set all the way to 0, but really it's only on 1.

Looking forward to them. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Mine is coming along nicely. With Digital Vibrance reduced to 25%, fonts set to 150%, and a dark desktop theme I don't really notice 4:2:0 artifacts @ 60Hz unless I go looking for them. :)

-PG

Got mine today... Yep the Polaroid is the same display

These images are from a phone excuse the quality..

xW7Bl3V.jpg

dxx1KLu.jpg

Last edited:
I have a question. What is the difference between HDMI Video vs Graphic mode?

Does the Quasar has this option?

I have a question. What is the difference between HDMI Video vs Graphic mode?

Does the Quasar has this option?

Yes, Quasar has it. I use the graphic mode. I think it bypasses some of the image processing options.

Yes, Quasar has it. I use the graphic mode. I think it bypasses some of the image processing options.

I'm using that too.

In Nvidia Control panel "Adjust video control settings" I selected to use Nvidia settings with Full(0-255)

Are you using that?

Man! The blacks on this thing is good.. I'm not use to this coming from a IPS panel displays

I'm using that too.

In Nvidia Control panel "Adjust video control settings" I selected to use Nvidia settings with Full(0-255)

Are you using that?

Man! The blacks on this thing is good.. I'm not use to this coming from a IPS panel displays

Not sure. Ill check when I get home.

One thing I noticed is that webpages and text look a lot worse on the monitor using google chrome. Things are way better if I use IE. Weird.

I use FireFox.

Did you guys turn sharpness to 0? If you're not using HDMI graphic mode its a must!

I had to do this with a Changhong 4k tv... it was one of those 30hz 4k displays. I couldn't bare 30hz and sold it.

Last edited:
I'm using a dark Windows theme and "Hacker Vision" extension in Chrome. I ended up bumping Digital Vibrance back up to 40ish...

desktop.jpg

Thats a screen grab rather than a photo but it doesn't look much different in real life. I think the 4:2:0 artifacts are much less noticeable with bright text on dark background - which the exception of deep red text on black... but for coding etc. thats easily fixed with some config tweaking.

My config is minimal:

NVIDIA Control panel:
Resolution: 4k x 2k, 3840 x 2160 (native) 60Hz
X - Use NVIDIA Settings
Digital Vibrance: +40%

Windows7:
Fonts 150% + manually calibrated ClearType
Abstracts Dark Aero Theme
Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Window Color and Appearance... Advanced... Window color Gray

Chrome:
Hacker Vision Extension
New Tab Redirect Extension
ublock Extension

Quasar42:
Picture Mode: User
Brightness: 47
Contrast: 50
Color Temp: Warm
HDMI Mode: Graphic

-PG

Last edited:
BTW If you have a really dark room PangoBright can reduce the brightness of the desktop image sent to the screen (dont turn it down too low or you wont see anything!). Dimming the backlight with apps like ScreenBright isn't possible since the Quasar does not support DDC/CI and we dont know if there is a hidden Service Menu.

-PG

Here's a couple pictures after applying petergunn setting. Let me assure you its my camera giving it a little fuzzy look.

h57sum9.jpg

yiLHVZM.jpg

What GPU are you guys running? Any chance of running this on a GTX6xx card?

If not, what's the cheapest GPU that could handle it? Getting tired of the Seiki lag.

I've created an account and de-lurked to respond.

I have one of the Polaroid screens on the way. I currently have a GTX750 that I expect to be able to drive this in 4:2:0 mode for desktop use via HDMI 1.4 and Nvidia's new driver.

Based on my admittedly limited Google-fu, the newer Nvidia cards have HDMI 2.0. I'm looking specifically at the GTX960. Assuming that's true, could I expect to be able to drive this screen without artifacting? :confused:

Tboo, I know you're running a 980 so I think you have HDMI 2.0 from the GPU to the screen. Is that true? If so, after your color tweaks are you seeing much artifacting anymore or at all?

Thanks for everyone's contributions to this. I'm very excited to try this out for my new office!

I have one of the Polaroid screens on the way. I currently have a GTX750 that I expect to be able to drive this in 4:2:0 mode for desktop use via HDMI 1.4 and Nvidia's new driver.

Based on my admittedly limited Google-fu, the newer Nvidia cards have HDMI 2.0. I'm looking specifically at the GTX960. Assuming that's true, could I expect to be able to drive this screen without artifacting? :confused:

Tboo, I know you're running a 980 so I think you have HDMI 2.0 from the GPU to the screen. Is that true? If so, after your color tweaks are you seeing much artifacting anymore or at all?

Thanks for everyone's contributions to this. I'm very excited to try this out for my new office!

Actually the only artifacts I saw were due to using Chrome. I switched over to IE and everything looks fine to me.

Yep, it will work. I use a 780 with HDMI 1.4

There is one little hiccup however.. when you reboot your PC the TV sometimes says "unsupported signal"

I found a workaround other than restarting your PC a million times hoping it syncs up..

*Press source on your remote and choose another HDMI port.. lets say 3. After it connects press source again choose HDMI 4. It should show your PC now.

Actually the only artifacts I saw were due to using Chrome. I switched over to IE and everything looks fine to me.

Super! Might have to plan on an upgrade in that case. Poor Chrome, it used to be the new hotness. Now it's just a hot mess.

There is one little hiccup however.. when you reboot your PC the TV sometimes says "unsupported signal"

I found a workaround other than restarting your PC a million times hoping it syncs up..

*Press source on your remote and choose another HDMI port.. lets say 3. After it connects press source again choose HDMI 4. It should show your PC now.

Great tip! Thanks for that! :D

FYI - I'm really enjoying the 4K desktop with all the extra usable space - I don't really notice the 4:2:0 artifacts anymore. However, I have 2xGTX980 in SLI and although I get decent framerates @ 4k + 60Hz the display lag is very bad for reaction games. :mad:

I've reattached my Korean 1440p monitor as a second monitor for gaming but not I have to deal with physical space issues and switching primary desktop which sucks.

-PG

Here's a pic from BF4. I tried to do a screen grab but it only took a screenshot of the Origin browser... so here's a image from my camera.. yes my camera suck

petergunn, I run two 780 ti in SLI. When playing BF4 I run the game on HIGH settings and average 90 fps. Ultra setting has me between 50-60 fps with AA off

410933150.jpg

Back