Quantum Computing Brings Promise and Threats

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
In this opinion piece over at InformationWeek, the author proposes that quantum computing poses both great promise and potential threats. Without a doubt the promises of quantum computing are immense. Things that conventional computers do slowly the quantum computer can do many times faster. Some areas I see for quantum computing are medical research where quantum computers have potential to identify possible cures, in other fields of chemistry to develop new substances, and without a doubt can be used in materials science to develop stronger/lighter metals. However, one key area that quantum computing can impact in a bad way is encryption. There is a debate about whether or not current encryption methods will be made obsolete by quantum computing. Regardless, quantum computing is the future whether we like it or not.

It's probably safe to say that none of us will have a quantum computer sitting on our desks anytime soon, but just about anyone with a browser can get access to IBM's 5 and 16 quantum bit (qubit) computers via the cloud. Earlier this year, the company announced IBM Q, an initiative intended to result in commercially available quantum computing systems. IBM also announced that it had built and tested two quantum computing processors including the 16 qubit open processor for use by the public and the 17-qubit commercial processor for customers.

Quantum computing is a necessary step towards us having to fight endoskeletons that carry phased plasma rifles in a 40watt range. :D

Quantum computing is a necessary step towards us having to fight endoskeletons that carry phased plasma rifles in a 40watt range. :D

Or in us having the ability to transfer our memories to freshly grown replacement bodies from a backup media which is updated in real time. Functional immortality anyone?

On a more serious note - I dont think quantum computing will END encryption per se, I think it will force a new way to perform the same.

Or in us having the ability to transfer our memories to freshly grown replacement bodies from a backup media which is updated in real time. Functional immortality anyone?

On a more serious note - I dont think quantum computing will END encryption per se, I think it will force a new way to perform the same.

Right. 256bit encryption etc. will probably have to give way to something much, much stronger.

Right. 256bit encryption etc. will probably have to give way to something much, much stronger.

Exactly. I was thinking along the lines of abandoning prime factorization and switching to a different method. Ive seen theories about "quantum" encryption which would theoretically be impossible to break even with quantum computing. Either way its going to be interesting!

Exactly. I was thinking along the lines of abandoning prime factorization and switching to a different method. Ive seen theories about "quantum" encryption which would theoretically be impossible to break even with quantum computing. Either way its going to be interesting!
One can only hope!

The Asgard did this and it resulted in the loss of sexual reproduction, definitely not worth it.

Reactions: MaZa
like this
Keep this shit our off google's or any major advertising firm. Keep it out of the governments hands especially.

Achieving quantum power will be like an arms race to be the first with nuclear power. You'll have access to nearly all knowledge and secrets. Hopefully a responsible party will be the first. Then others powers will harness it. Last the regular folks will catch up.

Back