Quantic Dream titles including Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human coming to PC

If the epic store wasn't reason enough to give it a hard pass I oppose censorship on principle, no matter how little is changed.

If the epic store wasn't reason enough to give it a hard pass
Why bash epic when it's thanks to them these games are coming to PC in the first place, so millions of non-console gamers can enjoy them.

I oppose censorship on principle, no matter how little is changed.
Blame the governments or ratings boards which pass strict rules regarding entertainment content, not the devs who are forced to follow them. Can't even fault the publishers, as there's countries which you can't even sell your game if you don't meet certain criteria.

Wait- why are games in Europe being censored more than in the US?

[I'll be looking into these later...]

Why bash epic when it's thanks to them these games are coming to PC in the first place, so millions of non-console gamers can enjoy them.

Blame the governments or ratings boards which pass strict rules regarding entertainment content, not the devs who are forced to follow them. Can't even fault the publishers, as there's countries which you can't even sell your game if you don't meet certain criteria.
It's not epic's doing that these games are coming to PC, this misconception is spreading like wildfire, but I saw zero facts to back it up. The only difference between this and other epic exclusives is that Quantic's games were announced as exclusives to begin with and not changed over later after advertising as steam games.

And I didn't say it was epic's fault that the game is censored. Well actually when I think about it, it kind of is their fault. They could host a different version of the game just for the bleeding hearts in germany, and give the uncensored version for the rest of the world. It would be really easy to do on a digital distribution platform.

It's not epic's doing that these games are coming to PC, this misconception is spreading like wildfire, but I saw zero facts to back it up. The only difference between this and other epic exclusives is that Quantic's games were announced as exclusives to begin with and not changed over later after advertising as steam games.

And I didn't say it was epic's fault that the game is censored. Well actually when I think about it, it kind of is their fault. They could host a different version of the game just for the bleeding hearts in germany, and give the uncensored version for the rest of the world. It would be really easy to do on a digital distribution platform.

Do you really think it's a coincidence that these games haven't been on pc for nearly 10 years then suddenly just after EGS comes out and offers much higher margins they come to pc as an EGS exclusive?

As for the censoring it's probably the developer not wanting to do the extra work releasing multiple versions, although it could also be Epic for the same reason.

Do you really think it's a coincidence that these games haven't been on pc for nearly 10 years then suddenly just after EGS comes out and offers much higher margins they come to pc as an EGS exclusive?

As for the censoring it's probably the developer not wanting to do the extra work releasing multiple versions, although it could also be Epic for the same reason.

They bought their IPs from Sony. Heavy Rain seemed to be very popular when it came out, but their follow ups received mixed reception. Their value probably wasn't too high and Sony probably didn't see them as being very relevant going forward. I have a feeling the games just haven't aged well. Interactive story type games certainly have their market, but since 2010 many more action RPGs (like Mass Effect, Witcher) have become popular. While not as story based and not tethered to decision making as much they will have better gameplay than what is essentially a QTE game with an interactive story. Just look at the reviews for Heavy Rain (from 2010) and the current reviews for the PC version. I skimmed them, but the general consensus seems to be that in 2019 the gameplay is just dated. Back in 2010 it received high reviews, but in 2019 they're a lot lower.

Perhaps better margins on PC made it a more economical decision to buy their IP (easier to recoup costs) but I doubt it.

Censoring is probably them just being lazy and doing a half effort PC release, or some other legal reason with the different versions.

No, it's not coincidence. They are coming to PC because Heavy Rain was originally planned to be released on PC, before Sony bought out the studio. And then late last year if I remember correctly Quantic Dream bought themselves out of the Sony partnership, so they can release their games for PC after all these years. EGS just happened to be skulking around and they went from one xclusivity deal into another. Unfortunate. It wasn't EGS that funded or had the idea to bring these games to PC, and I don't know why people want so desperately to give this "win" to EGS.

Censoring is probably them just being lazy and doing a half effort PC release, or some other legal reason with the different versions.
It probably comes down to not wanting to bother with different versions for different regions so they just give the most neutered one for all. Shows how much they care.

Interactive story type games certainly have their market, but since 2010 many more action RPGs (like Mass Effect, Witcher) have become popular. While not as story based and not tethered to decision making as much they will have better gameplay than what is essentially a QTE game with an interactive story.

And now that I think about it- while I enjoyed the gameplay significantly (and most everything else) in ME2+, if that isn't there and it's really just a string of QTEs, then I'm probably less interested. Will have to see the material on them.

Uh EU is very heavily censor. Sure they are not prude about nudity like in the states but when it comes to freedom of speech and violence they take a heavy stance on those.

That's the first thing I hear about that. Other then certain games in Germany I can't think of anything that has been censored in other countries in Europe.

That's the first thing I hear about that. Other then certain games in Germany I can't think of anything that has been censored in other countries in Europe.

In the past some countries like Austria got shafted with the German version for some games. But again, that is more to do with laziness. Probably just applied the "German" localized version to that country. Doesn't seem like an issue anymore though. Australia used to be very strict, but that changed a few years back. As for the EU being very heavily censored that is true but a more recent phenomenon and games will likely catch on later if at all.

In the past some countries like Austria got shafted with the German version for some games. But again, that is more to do with laziness. Probably just applied the "German" localized version to that country. Doesn't seem like an issue anymore though. Australia used to be very strict, but that changed a few years back. As for the EU being very heavily censored that is true but a more recent phenomenon and games will likely catch on later if at all.

I think the biggest issues Europe has atm in regards to games is more with the not so free to play free to play games and lootboxes and other shennanigans to "extort" money from gamers and more specifically minors.

We will have to see as to what the future brings, but freedom of speech is something people in Europe die for defending (see ther bombing of Charlie hebdo among others)

Germany was always a heavy censor even going back to the olden days. For example the german version of carmageddon had zombies instead of pedestrians and green blood.

But ever since the EU expanded to most of europe it seems that software publishers can't be bothered to tailor their service to individual countries, they release the same crap for the entire region.

But ever since the EU expanded to most of europe it seems that software publishers can't be bothered to tailor their service to individual countries, they release the same crap for the entire region.

One market, right?

Right?

[I will mourn for you]

I played the PC demos for Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls, they really show their age on PC even though these are likely based on the PS4 versions. I have these on PS4(Pro) and played them on a 1080p TV. They look fine on a TV, but it seems that when you run them at a higher res on PC and crank up the details you can really see how the textures weren't designed for ultra-HD resolutions or maybe there's even a lack of polygons. It's kinda like when you go play a cross-platform game on PC that was also on Xbox 360 and you can really see its age.

Since Detroit was built on current-gen console capabilities, maybe its PC port will look better in comparison.

Detroit looks absolutely stunning on the PS4. Whatever they're doing to make the game look smooth at 30fps should be shared with all console developers, too. I'd love to see what a PC port could look like, though.

Detroit: Become Human PC review

Sure, it’s a good-looking game that offers parts much better than the overall sum, but I do believe that much of Detroit: Become Human doesn’t work because there’s no context; no emotional payoff for the horrors you witness...why include child abuse in a game if no character is ever going to mention it again?...why does this specific character feels suited to lead a revolution? Why does no one question him?...everything that happens in Detroit, save for Connor’s plot, feels disconnected, a chain of escalating events for maximum effect

What you end up with is a game with very high production values, of which only one third is ever truly enjoyable...

https://www.pcgamer.com/detroit-become-human-review/

So basically, they ported it, it's prettier, but the story still doesn't make sense?

Sounds like a Steam bargain bin purchase, though I'm not sure I want to go anywhere near something with contextless, thoughtless child abuse. Unless the player character is provided the opportunity to, uh, 'make it right', that just feels wrong on the outset.

So basically, they ported it, it's prettier, but the story still doesn't make sense?

doesn't even seem like a major upgrade in terms of visuals from the PS4...

"Visually, Detroit is an absolute stunner, but unlike Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls—the PC versions of which look markedly better than even their PS4 remasters—Detroit comes out looking much the same, with a 30 fps cap (note: while I couldn't free it from a 30 fps cap, some say they got a 60 fps cap working) and no difference between low and ultra settings"

doesn't even seem like a major upgrade in terms of visuals from the PS4...

That's unfortunate. I'm not surprised that developers get console-itis and develop solely toward that limited hardware target, and I do understand that doing more is a real funding issue, but I'm always disappointed when they don't have the assets available for remasters -- be they for the PC or future consoles.

What gets me is that some studios don't see the value in maintaining the higher-quality assets that they invariably produce before running a proverbial 'blur filter' over everything to dumb it down to fit within the meager limitations of release console specs.

Interesting that they cap the game to 30fps by default. I can't imagine it looks any better than the PS4 Pro version in that case. That isn't a bad thing necessarily, but the FPS was the one area where improvement seemed easy.

60fps worked for me. Maybe the reviewer had vsync enabled and couldn’t maintain frames so were being dropped to 30.

The game looked fantastic, and I enjoyed the story. I got the game cheap during the Epic early summer sale months ago.

I've only played part of the game on PS4 & thought it was fairly entertaining. I'd really like to see how it runs on PC & maybe I'll enjoy it more at 60 fps.

Not even waiting the full year? Guess that exclusivity deal wasn't so good for actual sales after all.
Heavy Rain is "on time," but I guess they don't want to wait to release all three. We saw that MechWarrior 5 was released on the Microsoft Store 6 months ahead of its supposed one year exclusivity period was up. Maybe sales are not as good for the developers and publishers on Epic as the press has hyped it up to be.

Not even waiting the full year? Guess that exclusivity deal wasn't so good for actual sales after all.

Thought they were keeping it there for 6 months, seems to be the trend like with BL3.

In other news, Metro Exodus game out on GOG today DRM free.

Thought they were keeping it there for 6 months, seems to be the trend like with BL3.

In other news, Metro Exodus game out on GOG today DRM free.
I actually can't find any reference to an exclusivity window. I think we all just assumed it would be a year since that seems to be the standard. I know it was explicitly stated that MechWarrior 5 was exclusive to the Epic Games Store for a year.

I actually can't find any reference to an exclusivity window. I think we all just assumed it would be a year since that seems to be the standard. I know it was explicitly stated that MechWarrior 5 was exclusive to the Epic Games Store for a year.

Probably was "when sales dry up we'll move it to Steam" type of arrangement.

Probably was "when sales dry up we'll move it to Steam" type of arrangement.

There might not have even an been an arrangement with EGS, just their own plan.
Get a higher cut on EGS with as many sales as they can, then once sales dry up start selling on Steam and get a lower cut with any audience they missed.
It's basically what every studio has been doing the past 5 years by starting on their own launchers then releasing to Steam later.

There might not have even an been an arrangement with EGS, just their own plan.
Get a higher cut on EGS with as many sales as they can, then once sales dry up start selling on Steam and get a lower cut with any audience they missed.
It's basically what every studio has been doing the past 5 years by starting on their own launchers then releasing to Steam later.

That is what I was referring it.

Detroit Become Human PC - Native 4K vs Checkerboard Rendering on PS4 Pro - Image Quality Analysis

Tried all three games, couldn't get over the shit controls in Beyond Two Souls, and got bored with Heavy Rain when they wouldn't let me leave a rain-soaked field in the middle of the night. I'm not a fucking professional Police Officer, but they apparently wanted me to find a needle in a haystack. There ere no remaining trails of evidence to follow, so I was clueless at that point.

I have played Fahrenheit previously, and it's more of the same " Marginal story game with terrible quick-time , repetitive button pressing controls." I'm not a perfectionist, and I'm not going to cheat sheet my way through the opening murder escape scene in this fucking game, but When you miss yet-another tiny fucking detail, because I'm not a murderer, then had to startover , I got tired of this shit.

I get the impression that console owners are stuck with games like these, and rather than acknowledge the shit-eating truth, they would rather pretend this bag is filled with delicious cake, and keep paying for unending sequels. I mean, that's how we ended-up with the Universally-acknowledged trainweck that is Detroit, right?

Or are all these PS owners just Wannabe Popo?

Last edited:
Back