Qualcomm Completes Acquisition of NUVIA

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 24, 2001
Messages
7,106
It was always coming. It's just a matter of from whom and who can not only get a product to market the fastest, but also have an actual impact on the market (as in feature set and compatibility that is compelling).
It's a notable distinction. Obviously Microsoft has already released ARM based Surface convertible laptops but they flopped due to lack of support in software and also just simply not being nearly as fast as their Intel counterparts.
Sad to say, it actually might be Google and Chromebooks that might benefit the most (at least the most quickly). As they can more quickly move their software suite over - and gain the distinct speed and low power advantages of ARM before Microsoft gets their junk together.
 

Lakados

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 3, 2014
Messages
4,702
It was always coming. It's just a matter of from whom and who can not only get a product to market the fastest, but also have an actual impact on the market (as in feature set and compatibility that is compelling).
It's a notable distinction. Obviously Microsoft has already released ARM based Surface convertible laptops but they flopped due to lack of support in software and also just simply not being nearly as fast as their Intel counterparts.
Sad to say, it actually might be Google and Chromebooks that might benefit the most (at least the most quickly). As they can more quickly move their software suite over - and gain the distinct speed and low power advantages of ARM before Microsoft gets their junk together.
I could get behind a good series of ARM based Chromebooks. The bulk of the ChromeOS market is made of of Intel Celeron N4000 series chips and they do fine for what the devices are intended to do. Not exactly a hard part to pass in terms of performance or power draw.
 

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 24, 2001
Messages
7,106
I could get behind a good series of ARM based Chromebooks. The bulk of the ChromeOS market is made of of Intel Celeron N4000 series chips and they do fine for what the devices are intended to do. Not exactly a hard part to pass in terms of performance or power draw.
Exactly. If I can find the article I'll post it, but I read an article about sales numbers the other day. It was primarily about Apple selling more computers in 2020 than ever before and gaining marketshare, but despite "gaining marketshare" macOS became the number 3 OS. And if you haven't figured out the lead, it was because ChromeOS was gaining market-share even faster at the cost of Windows.
I think there is a big portion of the market that would probably be happy with the switch to a ChromeOS based laptop if it was $500 and ARM based and more or less destroying everything in power and battery life from x86 for less than half the cost. And that is a very real possibility.
 

defaultluser

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
14,362

Attachments

  • 1616185395143.jpeg
    1616185395143.jpeg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0

Lakados

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 3, 2014
Messages
4,702
Exactly. If I can find the article I'll post it, but I read an article about sales numbers the other day. It was primarily about Apple selling more computers in 2020 than ever before and gaining marketshare, but despite "gaining marketshare" macOS became the number 3 OS. And if you haven't figured out the lead, it was because ChromeOS was gaining market-share even faster at the cost of Windows.
I think there is a big portion of the market that would probably be happy with the switch to a ChromeOS based laptop if it was $500 and ARM based and more or less destroying everything in power and battery life from x86 for less than half the cost. And that is a very real possibility.
I just phased out 30, 6+ year old windows laptops, and replaced them with 60 Dell 3100 Chromebooks. After Google’s admin licensing and taxes they come in at around $400 CDN. Those cheap little bastards do 90% of a students day to day and the other 10% is either handled by specialized lab computers or funding permitted a new dual EPYC 128 core Citrix system.
 
Last edited:
Top