Qualcomm CEO: "You'll See 5G in 2019 for Sure"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf originally predicted that 5G wouldn't be readily available until 2020, but he’s changed his tune: increasing interest in bandwidth-intensive content such as HD video, along with mounting interest by automotive and health industries, is supposedly compelling Qualcomm and other companies to act quicker. San Marino, a microstate surrounded by Italy, is aiming to be the first country upgraded to 5G nationwide.

…when will consumers get to connect to these 5G systems? How about in as little as two years? "You’ll see 5G in 2019 for sure," Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf told attendees of the Fortune Brainstorm conference in Aspen, Colorado on Monday. 5G networks are expected to send gobs of data faster than your at-home WiFi network and faster than your old-fashioned, wired plug-in network at work. They might even be as fast as the fastest networks you can get today, which run at gigabit speeds.

... but do we need it? I am perfectly happy with CDMA2000. I mostly use my phone for texting and calls, but it's nice to have basic data service for when my DSL goes down and 2G/3G is completely adequate for those situations. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for something I may use once every 3 months. :confused:

Even if its able to have the bandwidth of a wired connection it will never be as reliable and you can't eliminate the inherent latency of cell tower connections.

I don't care for 5G. Give me cheap unlimited 4G. Hell I will take unlimited 3G even. It seem all they care about pushing speed for is use up our data faster.

We may start to see 5, but no carrier has fully implemented 4g (i.e. all calls are VoLTE) in the USA. In the case of Spring, they haven't really completed their 4G network. I can drive from TX to LA or MS and there are plenty of places with no 4G and some that have no coverage at all...and that's on a highway, where you'd expect every square inch to be covered.

... but do we need it? I am perfectly happy with CDMA2000. I mostly use my phone for texting and calls, but it's nice to have basic data service for when my DSL goes down and 2G/3G is completely adequate for those situations. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for something I may use once every 3 months. :confused:

Even if its able to have the bandwidth of a wired connection it will never be as reliable and you can't eliminate the inherent latency of cell tower connections.
Faster is better?
It just means you will reach a cap sooner.
The 4G is good now, but if 5G isn't anything more expensive, then why not.

This "country" is 23.6 square miles. Less area than a 5 mile wide square. This should be around 2 to 4 towers for the whole country to upgrade to 5G "nationwide".

Grats.

They have universal healthcare and free education too.....if this country of 30,000 can do it, then obviously the United States has zero excuse! False equivalencies to the rescue!

Faster is better?

You would reach your cap faster if you downloaded more. But it could allow your user experience to increase (with no additional extra data usage needed).

I don't care for 5G. Give me cheap unlimited 4G. Hell I will take unlimited 3G even. It seem all they care about pushing speed for is use up our data faster.
Faster is better?

At this point, every carrier offers unlimited plans, if that's what you want.

We may start to see 5, but no carrier has fully implemented 4g (i.e. all calls are VoLTE) in the USA. In the case of Spring, they haven't really completed their 4G network. I can drive from TX to LA or MS and there are plenty of places with no 4G and some that have no coverage at all...and that's on a highway, where you'd expect every square inch to be covered.

Same with VZW. There are places on the expressway where they drop back to 3G, and places that are "4G" with a T1 line for backhaul still. Nothing like ~1.5Mbps speeds while connected to LTE. I'm sure the reason who no one is 100% VoLTE is likely because no one really has the coverage for that to happen. I know of so many areas where LTE still drops off, and you're back on 3G or 1x / 2G depending upon your carrier. Until they actually fill in the gaps completely, we'll be back to the days where everyone was concerned about dropped calls.

The other big rub about VoLTE is that it requires configuration on the phone side to make it work. You can buy an unlocked phone, slip a SIM into it, and 2G calling works fine. We recently saw where we even had 4G LTE data, but VoLTE didn't work because the phone needs to have programming in it for each carrier, and it was a world phone which lacks US VoLTE settings. Just another setback to making things just work.

The only areas you drop to slower speeds is in the backwoods. Heck I just drove from California to Florida and it was only on the backroads in Texas that i didn’t have LTE. If you live in any decently populated area you are fine.

Faster is better?

Data caps? Cute. But I'll take my 3G uncapped/unthrottled service any day over some consumer junk advertised as 4G/5G with a 10GB cap or throttling to 128kbps. Though it would be much cheaper than I'm paying now I am sure...

The only areas you drop to slower speeds is in the backwoods. Heck I just drove from California to Florida and it was only on the backroads in Texas that i didn’t have LTE. If you live in any decently populated area you are fine.

Read the post above yours... I can assure you that is not the case contrary to popular belief that LTE just exists everywhere.

So.. will they choose to compete with wired Isps? ... Nah they all friends and family I'm sure.

Please read the definition of that word before using it again further.

Unlimited data. How hard is it to understand that? Maybe YOU need to look up the definition. Nowhere do they say unlimited data AT LTE SPEEDS.

Unlimited data. How hard is it to understand that? Maybe YOU need to look up the definition. Nowhere do they say unlimited data AT LTE SPEEDS.
You are correct. I guess when you hit that artificial cap it's good for texting but actually trying to do browsing and such would be worthless?

Now you're just playing on words. Unlimited means zero constraints. not having LTE speed is a constraint therefore disqualified by definition. They can use any other word they like but "unlimited" is a lie, period, end of discussion.

Now you're just playing on words. Unlimited means zero constraints. not having LTE speed is a constraint therefore disqualified by definition. They can use any other word they like but "unlimited" is a lie, period, end of discussion.

It wasn't my argument, but I'm going to interject.

It's cute that you want to sit here harping about the definition of the word unlimited, but what you're narrow vision seems to keep forgetting is that one word does not a sentence make. Let's take a look at the two words that matter most... "unlimited data".

1. Per your snide link https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unlimited, this word is an adjective.
2. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/adjective I'll give you a moment to look over what an adjective is, as you've clearly seemed to have forgotten.
3. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/data Here's a link for the definition of data. This word is a noun.
4. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/noun Here's the what a noun is, in case you also forgot that.

I'm not going to go into detail for you on how an adjective works with a noun, the links you're so fond of are there at your disposal.

You are, in fact, getting unlimited data, as per the definitions of the words. The fact that they throttle your speeds has nothing to do with the fact that you are getting unlimited data.

Maybe you should put down the dictionary and pick up a grammar book on how sentence structure and the English language works. While you're at it, try leaning how to talk to people. It's a shame that somebody had to jump in here and stoop to your level by speaking to you like a child, but you were obviously in need of it. Irony is a grand thing, and I love seeing it. Thanks to the words in your signature I've filled my daily need of it.

Last edited:
It wasn't my argument, but I'm going to interject.

It's cute that you want to sit here harping about the definition of the word unlimited, but what you're narrow vision seems to keep forgetting is that one word does not a sentence make. Let's take a look at the two words that matter most... "unlimited data".

1. Per your snide link https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unlimited, this word is an adjective.
2. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/adjective I'll give you a moment to look over what an adjective is, as you've clearly seemed to have forgotten.
3. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/data Here's a link for the definition of data. This word is a noun.
4. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/noun Here's the what a noun is, in case you also forgot that.

I'm not going to go into detail for you on how an adjective works with a noun, the links you're so fond of are there at your disposal.

You are, in fact, getting unlimited data, as per the definitions of the words. The fact that they throttle your speeds has nothing to do with the fact that you are getting unlimited data.

Maybe you should put down the dictionary and pick up a grammar book on how sentence structure and the English language works. While you're at it, try leaning how to talk to people. It's a shame that somebody had to jump in here and stoop to your level by speaking to you like a child, but you were obviously in need of it. Irony is a grand thing, and I love seeing it. Thanks to the words in your signature I've filled my daily need of it.

Cute but no, and why the fuck are you defending these people. Only hurts you, period. It's like paying someone to shoot you in the foot. The fact you're even having this argument at all is borderline Stockholm Syndrome. Just stop it, it's unhealthy. You're getting punked, period.

Nowhere in any of what I said did I defend the practice of them slowing down unlimited data. I'm sure once you've started working on understanding how grammar works, you'll be able to move on to reading comprehension shortly thereafter.

Nowhere in any of what I said did I defend the practice of them slowing down unlimited data. I'm sure once you've started working on understanding how grammar works, you'll be able to move on to reading comprehension shortly thereafter.
lol ok guy, now you're just trolling me but that's fine, easy to deal with trolls here.

Aww, taking your ball and going home? That's probably for the best.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Aww, taking your ball and going home? That's probably for the best.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
What if he doesn't close the door or its not a self-closing one?

I think people understand unlimited, but only at a good speed until a certain point makes it seem like it is not.

I think people understand unlimited, but only at a good speed until a certain point makes it seem like it is not.
Which they're not, the point isn't to give unlimited. It's to market the word and know the most don't know enough to figure it out one way or the other, or even do enough to use any. It's how they get away with it, most, simply have no clue.

Which they're not, the point isn't to give unlimited. It's to market the word and know the most don't know enough to figure it out one way or the other, or even do enough to use any. It's how they get away with it, most, simply have no clue.

You're right, but you're also wrong. It's so very important to be an educated consumer, that you're 100% right about. Where you're wrong is that they do indeed tell people about data caps and speed throttling. They'll mention it in advertisements, they'll mention it when you sign up for their service. If most people simply have no clue, it's simply because they just aren't paying attention, and that's on them.

The speed is LTE unless there's congestion. If there is, then if you've used in excess of 22GB, then you get throttled. If there's not congestion, then they don't give a fuck. The terms are there and the vast majority of users aren't using 22GB of data in a month on a phone. I did prepaid when I was out of the country and over a month I might have used 5gb (across 2 countries). I'm not big on throttling, but when it's limited to congested areas, I have no problem. It's not like congested cell towers aren't going to slow down either way. All they're saying is in that case, the heaviest users get throttled first. Note, i'm using verizon for this expample. I don't know if all other carriers do it this way or not.

Back