Quakecon 2010 August 12 - 15

How about setting up a localhost browser based share using HFS?

http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/

I use it to access files on my computer/home network via the web. I'd assume you just pass out your local ip and port# you assign but there aren't any network restrictions on my home network.

How about setting up a localhost browser based share using HFS?

http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/

I use it to access files on my computer/home network via the web. I'd assume you just pass out your local ip and port# you assign but there aren't any network restrictions on my home network.

They said that they are monitoring network traffic for large file transfers and you will be removed if they find you doing it.

Is there a reason to show up if I'm not going to BYOC?
I mean, is there exhibits or demos and shit? I went one year and they had a pod setup to play Doom 3, way before release, pretty neat and also a few computers connected to the network just for whoever wanted to play. I could hang for a few hours...

This was my frist BYOC Quakecon, and while I am enjoying it, I came to the very upsetting realization that I can not play my favortire games because the net connection is pure poopoo. No Steam (offline mode works), no games that require connection to an external server (BC2). I have been playing Metro 2033 mostly.

This was my 4th con and probably my last. The fact they made fundamental changes without prior announcement is a big steaming pile of. I walked in Thursday afternoon and there were people leaving with their PCs. I was a bit perplexed until I read what they had nerfed on the whiteboard. No DC++ and network issues set the stage for a very frustrated crowd. Imagine how much it must have sucked for those folks who flew halfway across the country. Ouch!

Speaking of stink, this was by far the worst smelling bunch of people I've ever encountered. It was hot no doubt. But come on... Is it really that difficult to wash yourself?

T-shirts and schwag: I tried desperately but had no luck on catching a single shirt. It was quite dangerous to even attempt. Folks need to be more considerate of those around them. If you have an infant - for Pete's sake get keep them out of the line of fire!!! I literally ran over to shove a guy away from a baby carrier that was jumping after a shirt. Thankfully he missed the kid but he felt terrible about the whole incident. The mother just sort of stood there gawked -- she probably had too many Bawls. If you have 5 Quakecon shirts, do you really need 5 more? There was one guy in the middle of the crowd that had several wrapped over his shoulders and was still catching more.

Even though QC was a let down, I had an awesome time with my friends who rode up with me.

DC++ was live and well. Funny thing is the network admin and the guy hosting hub got into... In the end DC++ still was up after that convo and they shared cookies. Was funny it took them the entire event to find him.

DC++ was live and well. Funny thing is the network admin and the guy hosting hub got into... In the end DC++ still was up after that convo and they shared cookies. Was funny it took them the entire event to find him.

Wish someone would have told me about that. I knew a Lanshark (what an awful program) network was up.

This was my 4th con and probably my last. The fact they made fundamental changes without prior announcement is a big steaming pile of. I walked in Thursday afternoon and there were people leaving with their PCs. I was a bit perplexed until I read what they had nerfed on the whiteboard. No DC++ and network issues set the stage for a very frustrated crowd. Imagine how much it must have sucked for those folks who flew halfway across the country. Ouch!

Speaking of stink, this was by far the worst smelling bunch of people I've ever encountered. It was hot no doubt. But come on... Is it really that difficult to wash yourself?

T-shirts and schwag: I tried desperately but had no luck on catching a single shirt. It was quite dangerous to even attempt. Folks need to be more considerate of those around them. If you have an infant - for Pete's sake get keep them out of the line of fire!!! I literally ran over to shove a guy away from a baby carrier that was jumping after a shirt. Thankfully he missed the kid but he felt terrible about the whole incident. The mother just sort of stood there gawked -- she probably had too many Bawls. If you have 5 Quakecon shirts, do you really need 5 more? There was one guy in the middle of the crowd that had several wrapped over his shoulders and was still catching more.

Even though QC was a let down, I had an awesome time with my friends who rode up with me.

I walked away with all 5-6 of the Bethseda game shirts, Quakecon shirt on the first day by waiting in line as one the first people. I got mine for making a funny enough comment to Spicy. The only thing about the about the event that sucked was the network going down. Not the fact it had 0 net but just the network dieing. I go to LAN's to play games on LAN not to play an MMO or what ever. Now granted SC2 is the only case I can give here that anyone would have an argument about. I already was OK about DC++ being gone but it was around you just had to find someone in the know about it. There was just no official hosted DC++ like back in the day. People file sharing is illegal and by the time I heard about it being gone.. I understood why. Seriously get over yourselves on that issue. I swear to god by the last day I was so tired of hearing about DC++. People leaving over this issue made my day and I hope you guys don't come back. More swag for me to nab. I walked away with a new Artisan Mouse pad. 1 new Death-adder, 1 new ATI 5550 =D I scored for the COD4 tourney 4 psyko headset and those 4 winners were damn happy I am sure. The biggest thing for next year hopefully they will actually use a decent back bone like they have had in the past. They were using cheap switches this year and it showed.

Granted you did bring up 1 valid point:

LEARN TO USE FUCKING SOAP! GOD DAMN IT YOU LONG-HAIRED BASEMENT CREEPS! One guy walked by me and my friend with both literally made the worse faces you could see. I stopped in my tracks about to throw up. Jesus get a room or pay 10 bucks to borrow someones damn hotel room.

One last note: People forget Quakecon is also about an iD game being played for cash. I watched the best finals and best matches of any e-sport ever. That last set of matches was so epic. I am calling the winning frag on ZTN(blood run) by cypher the rail heard around the world. I was pissed off I was the only guy in the main room actually cheering and getting into the game. I wish I had hung around the tourney stage were they actually played the finals.

cypher down 2 maps to cooller: takes it two a third (cypher shot 100% rail for over 3 mins)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxRy09GgjCA

cypher with the shot that would win 14 large.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhLFmpDxCNk

I walked away with all 5-6 of the Bethseda game shirts, Quakecon shirt on the first day by waiting in line as one the first people. I got mine for making a funny enough comment to Spicy... People file sharing is illegal and by the time I heard about it being gone.... LEARN TO USE [effing] SOAP!

Grats on the stuff. I guess I was really unlucky. If they'd only picked me for the pushup contest, I'd walked away a happy man. I saw this buff dude peter out after only 35. Weakling! :p

File sharing is not illegal. Sharing copyrighted material, however, is. I enjoy sharing out free games/mods/demos/videos/flavors of Linux. The main point is they didn't tell us ahead of time that it was going to be disabled. It's those "gotcha's" that really piss people off. All around staff -> guest communication is poor at best.

It makes no sense why people refuse to bathe when it's a toasty 104 outside. Let's not forget the toothbrush while we're at it. I thought someone behind we was letting out silent but deadlies until I realized it was his breath!

Missed the tournaments as dinner and traffic took forever. Thanks for posting the links - I'll check out the videos later.

I definitely had fun. Won an Asus Rampage III Gene in a cable management competition and walked out with a bunch of shirts. Met some interesting people volunteering too. Fatal1ty bought me a drink when I standing in line behind him in one of the bars too. I didn't miss DC++ too much even though I brought 50TB of storage with me as I had never actually downloaded anything over it in the previous 3 years. I think I'm going to bring my Shuttle next year instead of 2 x 4U cases though. :p

Grats on the stuff. I guess I was really unlucky. If they'd only picked me for the pushup contest, I'd walked away a happy man. I saw this buff dude peter out after only 35. Weakling! :p

File sharing is not illegal. Sharing copyrighted material, however, is. I enjoy sharing out free games/mods/demos/videos/flavors of Linux. The main point is they didn't tell us ahead of time that it was going to be disabled. It's those "gotcha's" that really piss people off. All around staff -> guest communication is poor at best.

It makes no sense why people refuse to bathe when it's a toasty 104 outside. Let's not forget the toothbrush while we're at it. I thought someone behind we was letting out silent but deadlies until I realized it was his breath!

Missed the tournaments as dinner and traffic took forever. Thanks for posting the links - I'll check out the videos later.

This is very true that file sharing is not illegal but the fastest and easiest way for them not have it be illegal... Not have it all. Get over it, 99% of file sharing done is illegal.

hellllll yeah, im going to this for sure, ill be sure to fire that up

lol poor G3rr01, we didn't go after all. I saw this post after reading about the event I went to yesterday, the AMD (H)ardOCP Game Experience event.

Back