Quake Running on Raspberry Pi 4: Vulkan Driver Update

erek

[H]F Junkie
Impressed?

"Toral ultimately chose to test all three VkQuake games due to their readily available source code and Linux support. If you're not familiar with VkQuake, it just like regular Quake except it relies on Vulkan for rendering instead of OpenGL.

VkQuake mainly needed input attachments and compute shaders that the Igalia team had recently completed. VkQuake 3 needed additional optional Vulkan features that Toral already had available. The project ended with all three editions running successfully on the Pi 4 using the new Vulkan V3DV driver."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/quake-running-on-raspberry-pi-4-vulkan-driver-update

That's neat, although the lack of technical detail and any performance numbers is a bit disappointing. Curious to see what it can really push.

Source post is here, but again, light on detail.

https://blogs.igalia.com/itoral/2020/07/23/v3dv_vulkan_driver_update/

I've been looking at one of these just as a fun side project sort of thing but haven't had the time. Pi4 wasn't even out when I first decided to put something together.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Rockenrooster if you read the source article I linked you'll see that it was running all three Quake games. But they don't have any performance data up.

Yeah, a Pentium 100 can run Quake I playable, so it's not really saying much.

The Original Raspberry Pi should be capable of running Quake 3, and the Pi 4 should be capable of Doom 3.

In fact, somebody already did this a decade ago!

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/demo-raspberry-pi-running-quake-3/

The only asect of this that might make sense to do this test is the fact that Broadcom shipped broken GPU drivers on launch, so it wouldn't surprise me if i took them a year to get 3d rendering working on Pi 4. Baby Steps, I guess?

Last edited:
Considering the processing power available in the pi, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Not to say this isn't completely awesome. It was several years ago I was able to play quake 2 on my phone.

I messed around with WebGL on the Pi.

I got it to work but it was super slow, too slow to bother posting about it.

But it was fun seeing any sort of 3D on a kit like that.

The news here isn't that it's running Quake, it's that it's running Quake using the Vulken render path with (mostly–apparently skybox is broken on one of the levels) correct (i.e. not glitchy or missing textures, incorrect clipping, etc) graphics.

Last edited:
Yeah. I’m just dipping my toes into RPi and the world of SBCs and I didn’t realize that the graphics drivers were so fresh on these - I assumed they used similar parts to Android phones so kernel support was already there (obviously not).

Yeah. I’m just dipping my toes into RPi and the world of SBCs and I didn’t realize that the graphics drivers were so fresh on these - I assumed they used similar parts to Android phones so kernel support was already there (obviously not).

Nope, the reason Pi got such an advanced GPU core is because Broadcom was almost forgotten in the ARM GPU market, and they wanted it to encourage developers. They gave it away, but it meant you had to build software around the new hotness.

The same thing has happened with the latest revision...I'm surprised Broadcom is still bothering with new VideoCores, but here we are again!

Back