Quake OST Releasing on Vinyl

monkeymagick

[H]News
Put on your hipster glasses and prepare your best gaming headset, Trent Reznor is planning to release the OST for Quake on vinyl. Engadget has shared with us his plans to have a reissue of the soundtrack. Considered one of the best soundtracks ever created for a videogame featuring a heavily ambient industrial sound. The franchise is readying to make a splash again with a new gamethis year. While preorders are not available yet, a product page is up on the NIN's store front.

Arguably no artist has done more to popularize industrial music than Trent Reznor — primarily through his main creative vehicle, Nine Inch Nails, but also as a producer for numerous acts, not least of which was shock rocker Marilyn Manson. Born Michael Trent Reznor on May 17, 1965, in the town of Mercer, Pennsylvania he began taking piano lessons at age five and played tenor saxophone and tuba in his high school band, proving his natural aptitude for music.

Now that's a pretty cool idea, to be honest, and I remember those tunes quite well as I was a pretty [H]ardcore Quake player (Quake, Quake II, and of course Quake 3).

Question: if you're a news contributor was that just done today or something, 'cause your tag doesn't show you're considered "staff" now, just a curious thing. ;)

I'd put my own CDs in while playing Quake. I still can't hear "Mind Riot" by Soundgarden without thinking of the moaning zombies on level 3 and the plunk, boom! of the grenade launcher.

I should go find my CD... would be the first time I've listened to it in well over a decade.

still have my original game cd, that I could just pop into any cd player and the music would play.

gotta love the good old days of games where you could easily play the music on them without having to install or play the game.

I think people are being encouraged to buy music on fragile media so they don't have to sell 4000kbps master quality flac.

Now they have some wanting cassettes again. What next, 8-Tracks? :p

Bet they cant wait for amazon to sell the cylinders of the latest music for these.
cvDB030.jpg

I should go find my CD... would be the first time I've listened to it in well over a decade.

Yeah I wonder if I bothered to rip mine before I unloaded all my old game stuff.... I used to have it.

LOL I found a Mechwarrior 2 CD but no Quake. Argh.

Sounds like some people here don't remember the Quake 1 music. It's about 45 seconds of a cool theme followed by 50 minutes of droning noise. It wasn't until Quake 2 that we started getting something worth listening to.

Wish Trent still had this kind of sound. "hesitation marks" is what he should have printed instead of that album. Love ruined his sound.

Sounds like some people here don't remember the Quake 1 music. It's about 45 seconds of a cool theme followed by 50 minutes of droning noise. It wasn't until Quake 2 that we started getting something worth listening to.

Yea I always listened to my own cds when playing quake.

I think people are being encouraged to buy music on fragile media so they don't have to sell 4000kbps master quality flac.

Now they have some wanting cassettes again. What next, 8-Tracks? :p

Bet they cant wait for amazon to sell the cylinders of the latest music for these.
cvDB030.jpg

To be fair, I only intend on purchasing the album for wall art, along with a few other vinyls I've collected.

Actually if you go to the NIN webpage he is re-releasing most of his albums on Vinyl.

Wow, why bother with Ghosts though. That's just background music. But then again, I guess Quake is too. If I was a Vinyl hipster, Broken and Downward Spiral would be no brainers.

There are people out there who like the sound of lower fidelity music (ala shit on vinyls, cassette, 8-track...). I am not one of those people.

Oh man. Talk about being taken back! I actually ripped the soundtrack to Carmageddon by Fear Factory back in the day...Driving while listening may cause a sudden urge to run over pedestrians! You have been warned. Great stuff!

Any of you guys remember this, Type O' Negative for Descent on the PSX?
Yes, I had the PC version of Descent 2. This era was great for game soundtracks. Interstate '76 anyone?

I bought Quake many times over: shareware disc, retail and the offering big box sets for Linux and DOS/Win. Does my love for the brown give me brownie points?

There have been game soundtracks released on vinyl in the past, but more recently becoming a trend.

https://data-discs.com/collections/all

https://mondotees.com/collections/m...-alien-wars-original-video-game-soundtrack-lp

https://mondotees.com/collections/m...tlevania-original-video-game-soundtrack-10-lp

https://mondotees.com/collections/m...ns-quest-original-video-game-soundtrack-10-lp

https://mondotees.com/collections/a...las-curse-original-video-game-soundtrack-2xlp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_soundtracks_released_on_vinyl

As for the why vinyl discussion, it is an analog medium you get to hold a physical copy in your hands with big artwork. It encourages you to listen to the whole album. The audio mastering and your equipment are far more important than the medium.

Last edited:
I missed Quake I but played alot of Quake II and actually set up a dedicated Q II Server with a custom map loadout and improved bots on an old dual Pentium 233 MMX boxen with a whopping 192MB of EDO RAM running NT4 Server back in the day. Loved the game and the music definitely helped ramp things up. Thanks for the music link Seth, I listened to it while reading the [H] front page this morning :)

I missed Quake I but played alot of Quake II and actually set up a dedicated Q II Server with a custom map loadout and improved bots on an old dual Pentium 233 MMX boxen with a whopping 192MB of EDO RAM running NT4 Server back in the day. Loved the game and the music definitely helped ramp things up. Thanks for the music link Seth, I listened to it while reading the [H] front page this morning :)
NP. Because of this i recently started opening old FPS soundtrack videos on youtube when browsing.I didn't play too much of Daikatana, only about an hour worth of game time i figure, but i've come to appreciate its music.

Last edited:
Back