Quake Live: still alive and still fun (kind of)

facerip

Weaksauce
http://www.quakelive.com

It's still free and has enough people playing to make it fun if you're east or west. I have a premium account but, I almost never play on the premium maps because there are more players on the free maps.

You should play it. Clan Arena is fun aside from the all the absurd weapon damage changes they made to make it more nubbish CPMA style that was the death of quake 3 OSP.

Setting up your basic config is mostly in the browser settings area now. I can post a more detailed and well organized CFG if someone wants easy access to a lot of the old q3a cvars.

Come get gibs (now sparkles)!

what absurd weapon changes? pretty much every weapon change they made was a good one.

Only think I don't like about Quake Live is when you kill someone with a Rocket or Rail Gun, there is no blood explosion.

Not a big deal but I liked the effect....

what absurd weapon changes? pretty much every weapon change they made was a good one.

I just feel that q3a had the perfect balance as it was, but in the last 2 years of the game CPMA damage changes ruined it for a lot of long time players who enjoyed OSP/VQ3 more than the CPMA crazyness.

In Tier 4 CA, people just abuse the noobishness of the RL and SG now as opposed to old RA3 where you could square off against rails and the more accurate won. Having to shoot someone 4 times with the rail will always feel like a stupid.

No gibs sucks. Sparkles are even worse.

Last edited:
SG is weaker than Q3 and RL is arguably so, it has less splash damage but it's slightly faster

the rail is better off at 80 than it is 100.

Why don't people just play the original Quake 3 Arena than this terrible-looking browser-based game?

this game is nearly dead in North America, so don't bother.

I had a premium subscription that recently expired, and I didn't renew along with a lot of other people. I gave them a chance, but in the last year they added very little features and new content to the game. ID software is not really supporting the game anymore b/c most people are working on Rage/Doom 4 now and they've admitted the game is a business failure. So if you pay for this game your money is only really going to help pay for the server costs which just isn't worth it.

The game has really gone downhill ever since they split the community with the subscriptions. What is the point is making premium content only if nobody plays it?

The original Quake 3 is still very much active in North America. Check out the CROM servers, which have ra3/ctf with 3w maps/ffa/ra3 servers running

www.cromctf.com

this game is nearly dead in North America, so don't bother.

I had a premium subscription that recently expired, and I didn't renew along with a lot of other people. I gave them a chance, but in the last year they added very little features and new content to the game. ID software is not really supporting the game anymore b/c most people are working on Rage/Doom 4 now and they've admitted the game is a business failure. So if you pay for this game your money is only really going to help pay for the server costs which just isn't worth it.

The game has really gone downhill ever since they split the community with the subscriptions. What is the point is making premium content only if nobody plays it?

The original Quake 3 is still very much active in North America. Check out the CROM servers, which have ra3/ctf with 3w maps/ffa/ra3 servers running

www.cromctf.com

There are far more active quake live servers than quake 3 servers going. Usually west coast prime time 5pm to about midnight there are 5~6 full CA servers running that are tier 4, and 2 ~3 FFA and CTF servers going as well at most tiers. I don't know about you but that's been the standard amount of people playing Quake since circa 2005. I can almost never find a west coast RA3 server, sometimes I can get an OSP 1v1 from irc but nearly impossible west coast unless they are in japan.

I agree they really had horrible separation with subscriptions. I mean all the great maps are on premium, not to mention they don't treat CA like RA3 and give you 2 or 3 small team maps wrapped up on one server.

80 rail is bullshit. It's an insult to the weapon's greatness. Can you imagine trying to use a quake 2 rail at that damage. The rail used to be the litmus for people who could and people who could not.

It is indeed still fun, too bad their ad thing fell through. I dont play as much as i used to when it first came out but I still hop on every once in a while.

Frankly I don't like Quake Live anymore.

I used to play it regularly 2-3 years ago when there were still a lot of semi-casual players. That was fun, but now only above average players remain. I myself am average at best, with fairly poor aim, and playing against competition way, way better than myself gets tedious after a while. Going 4-16 in CTF games doesn't do it for me anymore.

Also, did they take away some of the classic arenas and move them up to Premium? Last time I logged on I kept finding CTF games on Spider's Crossing, which I don't really like. I prefer Siberia, or Sanctum Keep (sp?) and other arenas that I'm more familiar with.

To be honest the best time I've had playing Quake 3 was playing LAN FFA at school in class. All the shitty mouses and computers levels the playing field a lot, which makes the game better somehow.

Facerip how can we use a premium account while playing a game???
How it is benefited for a member and is it really good one?
I want to use this type.....

Can you please restate the question? I have a Pro account and may be able to help you.

Why don't people just play the original Quake 3 Arena than this terrible-looking browser-based game?

They are the same thing. QuakeLive is the Quake 3 engine rewritten as a browser plugin. If you think QuakeLive is "terrible-looking" is's been awhile since you looked at vanilla Quake 3.

I won't be happy until Carmack makes a Quake V or if the new Doom game on the ID tech engine has good Multiplayer that would be awesome Oculus Rift who cares =)

They are the same thing. QuakeLive is the Quake 3 engine rewritten as a browser plugin. If you think QuakeLive is "terrible-looking" is's been awhile since you looked at vanilla Quake 3.

its close but not quite the same. Some of the boards have minute differences (i may be confused with quake 3 arena xbox live on maps) and the physics is different. As others have pointed out, theres been some weapon changes too. Also the map rotation is different, with some maps that werent in the original quake 3, pulled from other system versions (like dreamcast version).

Overall, i wasnt a great quake 3 player, so these changes dont bother me that much.

I started playing recently, I used to play competitive Q3. My only gripe is it suffers the same flaw as most elo-oriented games. Almost every game is either 10-0 or 0-10. Maybe like 1/5 games are close enough that it's anyone's game. At least that's what I've seen so far in T4 CA.

its close but not quite the same. Some of the boards have minute differences (i may be confused with quake 3 arena xbox live on maps) and the physics is different. As others have pointed out, theres been some weapon changes too. Also the map rotation is different, with some maps that werent in the original quake 3, pulled from other system versions (like dreamcast version).

Overall, i wasnt a great quake 3 player, so these changes dont bother me that much.

Sigh....

Many maps had pro versions that were tweaked for competition, there are minute differences here. Many custom maps used in competition, or pro versions, had less visual flair than the stock ones. You have to keep in mind competitive players usually made the game look like this.

15ry6vo.jpg

The physics and weapons are CPMA style, not OSP style. CPMA was the pro-mode and where the best players were. The biggest difference that makes is the movement is closer to Quake 1/World than stock/OSP and the railgun isn't as dominant.

Sigh....

Many maps had pro versions that were tweaked for competition, there are minute differences here. Many custom maps used in competition, or pro versions, had less visual flair than the stock ones. You have to keep in mind competitive players usually made the game look like this.

15ry6vo.jpg

The physics and weapons are CPMA style, not OSP style. CPMA was the pro-mode and where the best players were. The biggest difference that makes is the movement is closer to Quake 1/World than stock/OSP and the railgun isn't as dominant.

Sigh...

That still doesnt change the fact that some people will like it and some wont. If they only played quake 3 retail, and never cpma and competitive map versions it will seem quite different. I know all aobut the competitve quake2/quake 3 scenes. I had to make my game look almost like that so i can get the 120fps to do the jumps. At the time i was running p2 450 and tnt 1.

I'm glad you created this thread, I used to love Q3 and haven't played in 5-10 years. I hopped on last night and there were tons of full CA servers and I was actually competitive. Good times!

The movement isn't even close to Quakeworld in Quake live. There is no air control and you stop the moment you stop moving in Quake live where in Quakeworld you don't.

I'm glad you created this thread, I used to love Q3 and haven't played in 5-10 years. I hopped on last night and there were tons of full CA servers and I was actually competitive. Good times!

you using the base free version? Im going to try hit it up the next few nights, would love some buddies to play with/against~!

you using the base free version? Im going to try hit it up the next few nights, would love some buddies to play with/against~!

Sounds good add me on Quakelive my name is the same as on here jbonez21. I am using the free base version, I am not sure what the difference in paying is other than that is removes the 15 second ad before you enter a game.

Sigh....

15ry6vo.jpg

You seem to be confusing CPM the gameplay mode with CPMA the mod.

Back