Quake Live Open Beta Now Available

Forgive the n00bish question, but is this new maps? and what engine are they using?

I would love to see how it is, I m now in que for the game, I am only the 33,775th person in line and the que is not updateing like it says it would :(

I signed up last night. I only played two matches but it was pretty fun. Currently I'm waiting in queue to get in. Started at 55k and only am down to 40k >.<. Anyone else playing it up right now?

I tried to get in last night but the lines were rediculous. I think when I get up at 5:30 tomorrow morning for work, I'll try to get a few matches in.

how do you get to the expert portal? I used the ol 'rocket jump' technique from q1 to get to advanced, but couldn't figure out the last portal...

Easiest way is to just start strafe jumping out of the rocket jump landing. Use that momentum to carry you through. The other way is to master circle strafe jumping to get more speed than a standard strafe jump.

F.E.A.R. - regarding maps, some of the maps are from Q3 and Team Arena but usually updated to address certain issues. There are also a handful of new maps which you will see from time to time as well.

I got in 50 minutes ago, was able to setup controls, then I played crash for rankings.. but they went offline before I got to see my results.

Easiest way is to just start strafe jumping out of the rocket jump landing. Use that momentum to carry you through. The other way is to master circle strafe jumping to get more speed than a standard strafe jump.

F.E.A.R. - regarding maps, some of the maps are from Q3 and Team Arena but usually updated to address certain issues. There are also a handful of new maps which you will see from time to time as well.

Easier way is to look backward and rocket jump in reverse propelling yourself all the way lol.

So I was like number 4500 something to get in, then the site closed for a little bit. It's back up now and am in 539,000 >.< It is not my day today.

I got threw, went threw the 10 minute computer match again. My fps was at 110-125 which is weird considering I can run this game at 250+fps with full graphics+16xaf and 24xaa.

mine is sitting right next to my RTCW tin case...well it was the linux version but its still the tin case

I miss the closed beta...boo

Yea, got the Quake 3 Arena collectors tin at Microcenter years ago for a few bucks, it was the Linux version, but there was an easy way to install it on windows, which I have long since forgotten.

reverse rocket jumping was definitely a good way to get into the expert portal. I'll have to work on the "other" techniques for getting around.

When you guys are playing how often do you get the little disconnected symbol in the lower right? I have it show up, just for a second, fairly often. Maybe every other minute or something, but it always seems to happen in the middle of a fight, or in a race to a gun, etc.

The game locks the FPS at 125 because higher frame rates allow you to do things with the physics in the game that lower frame rates do not allow.

I never get a phone jack when I play. You are probably getting packet loss somewhere along the way. You can try messing with the consosle commands called rate and snaps to maybe help out some.

I joined and it keeps saying I have to do the placement match, which I have done twice now.. the website keeps saying I must finish placement match.

** 3rd time was the charm it seems

Yea, got the Quake 3 Arena collectors tin at Microcenter years ago for a few bucks, it was the Linux version, but there was an easy way to install it on windows, which I have long since forgotten.

yea it came with a little instruction sheet...i ran it on like redhat 5 or 6 or something anyways

I'm definitely taking the CRT out of retirement this weekend to play some quakelive. Seeing as the config file is accessible 150hz should work out good.

<- miss the closed beta

i hate waiting in line! They need more servers that is for sure! I don't think they were expecting Q3a to be reborn....

but that said,

I have q3a in my comp.... :)

Runs fine on Vista, incredibly!

Position in queue: 19918

-_-

Moar centos 4/5 servers racked, co-lo'd and ready to go, kthx

i do hope they have a paid, premium monthly service when the final is released (hoping for $5-8 a month.... seems reasonable enough...)

In regards to the 125fps, thats the minimun you need to be able to to do all the trick jumps in q3. i got my p2 450@504 with tnt1 to run q3 in places 125fps so i could do the trick jumps. It looked worse than an atari though.

In regards to the 125fps, thats the minimun you need to be able to to do all the trick jumps in q3. i got my p2 450@504 with tnt1 to run q3 in places 125fps so i could do the trick jumps. It looked worse than an atari though.

What? Teh human eye can't tell the difference up past 60 fps for sure...

What? Teh human eye can't tell the difference up past 60 fps for sure...

:) some people can see slightly more FPS....

but that doesnt apply in this case... in quake 3 certain jumps simply required a higher FPS in order to do them.... it had something to do with how the game handled player movement.... but it definitely made a difference, and many, many.... many people can replicate these results...

Uhmmm... I can easily spot the difference between 30, 60, 70, 85, 90, and 100, even 110 or 120 Hz easily...

Not sure what it is with all those "normal" Humans out there, but I sure as hell ain't one of 'em. :)

Uhmmm... I can easily spot the difference between 30, 60, 70, 85, 90, and 100, even 110 or 120 Hz easily...

Not sure what it is with all those "normal" Humans out there, but I sure as hell ain't one of 'em. :)

Then perhaps you should change your handle?:D

I'd like to submit for consideration that the frequency of a CRT and the FPS in a game on an LCD are, in fact, two entirely different things.

I am certain most of us could distinguish between the 60Hz and the 85hz CRTs back in the day, some of us can probably still see a difference between 60fps and 85fps just because 85 will look a little smoother to some. However, "seeing" a difference between 85fps and 125fps ..., I find that hard to believe. Anyone will be able to spot a difference between 30fps and 125fps, just because one looks smoother than the other.

could immediately tell the difference between 85 and 100fps. The spread itself was different within counter-strike...

and its games like this that make me wish I had a 24'' FW900

Finally works on Win7 (RC1 7100) and FF3

*edit*

Aaaand it turns out on the servers I played there was no weapon stay which means 1/2 the time you spawn run to a weapon site and die because theres no weapon there. There was also friendly fire which is team games like Quake or UT is just completely retarded, fast paced action games like this should not have friendly fire, it just opens up the possibility for griefers to cause trouble and stupid team mates to kill you by accident, how is that desireable at any level?

So yeah, actually quite fun, but those single things kill the game between them, thanks id, but no thanks.

Last edited:
Back