Quake Live Open Beta Now Available

koopaGG

2[H]4U
http://quakelive.com/

Open beta starts tomorrow :D:D

If you had a closed beta account and played the game within the last 28 days you will get to keep your account (well...username, stats will be wiped).

either way, the public beta's level of competition will be a decided step down from the closed beta...

ive *never* seen a more uniformly awesome community of FPS players than the Quake Live closed beta one... (i missed out on the post 2004 Quake 3/RA3 community....

Same. The only thing different is that there is no counter :(

I take it back. Sign ups just opened :D

It takes forever to play now. :( I logged in and I was 1750 in a queue before I could just login and frag.

o damn... looks like its getting hammered....

i guess this is a good thing.... i wanted this game to have a huge player base.... it deserves one....

i wonder, if we'll be able to host servers when it goes live forreal... i doubt id can handle server hosting for so many people all by itself....

Bah, I'm 24,497 in queue! and it has not moved in 5 min. Kinda wish ID would give the beta testers a priority line, ive been jonesin for a QL fix ever since it went down to go live.

[edit] In the 10 seconds it took leave the queue, it jumped over 4,000 people, looks like i wont be playing tonight [/edit]

yea, tons of interest....

but this is a good thing... i dont think beta guys should be given preferential status... because they already HAD their favored status... for weeks....

i enjoyed the closed beta, but its time to let others get a taste of the action...

I just got an account but there are over 14,000 people in front of me in the queue to play the game! lol can you imagine 14,000 are trying to get on right now?

Hey!

You know what's retarded?

Waiting in line from position 25,000 to 1, only to have to download the game update, restart my browser and be back in position 29,000.

Oh I love it.

So Open Beta went live, And I'm in Queue for the second time after installing the plugin, it redirected me back to the queue which wasn't fair. Anyone else have this problem.

Hey!

You know what's retarded?

Waiting in line from position 25,000 to 1, only to have to download the game update, restart my browser and be back in position 29,000.

Oh I love it.

How I feel your pain. Exact same issue happened to me. I think thats just not fair.

So Open Beta went live, And I'm in Queue for the second time after installing the plugin, it redirected me back to the queue which wasn't fair. Anyone else have this problem.

I was never much of a Quake fan. I wish they would do this for the original UT.

Exact thing happened to me. I was 25,000, waited until 1st, installed the new update, boom, back in 28,000.

They could have at least grandfathered the closed beta testers in so they didn't have to deal with this queue bullshit.

i just logged in and started in queue at # 12900, now im at 11989 after a few minutes wait.. fuck this, ill be here all night waiting for this shit.. i really miss closed beta now..

i moved through the queue... but holy crap.... i played the placement round 3 times already and it keeps making me do it again......

annoying...

I get a strange graphical problem on Windows 7 beta 1 x64 with Quake Live. If I'm using a non-WDDM 1.1 driver, I get a horizontal line that scrolls vertically on my screen. It goes away if I install a WDDM 1.1 driver. Anybody know how to fix this for WDDM 1.0 drivers?

I had to do the crash placement 4 times before it would let me go past that. Now my new problem is it says awaiting challenge 2.3.4.... indefinitely! Just when I thought I was ready. I am missing the closed beta now....

I was playing the closed beta since January and had to do the placement test again. ( Heh, reminds me of college :D.) After I was done, it said I had an error and was sent back into que #10,000. ( Heh, reminds me of college.:D)

I beat crash on expert like 3 times and no luck. Then went the easy route and it worked. You guys might want to try that if it happens to you

Well if you read the twitter feed, looks like they temporarily took down all servers.

Oh i guess that explains my problem with joining a server, didn't see that. I guess id, while expecting a big turnover, did not expect this crazy demand

If you read the forums, Marty did expect the high demand. They also expect it to fade and don't want to spend excessive amounts of cash on getting appropriate services up for demand that won't last that long. It's highly doubtful the kind of numbers that hit the site on the first day will persist for the months ahead, so why dump the cash into it? It's like any business venture, you have to weigh the costs against how much that investment will be put to good use and allow you to become (and eventually continue to be) profitable.

Glad to see i am not the only one who has never played with any other real people.

how do you get to the expert portal? I used the ol 'rocket jump' technique from q1 to get to advanced, but couldn't figure out the last portal...

Back