Quake Live exits beta, id introduces subscription packages

sekira05

Limp Gawd
http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/08/06/id-introduces-two-quake-live-subcription-packages/

They added a ton of maps (old and new), clan features, spawn your own private server (passworded or unpassworded), freeze tag game mode, and re-did the entire website.

The Premium Subscription can be purchased for $1.99 per month and the Pro Subscription can be purchased for $3.99 per month, both billed annually.

Free accounts still exist, you just don't get access to the new contents, however if you have a friend with a Pro account, they can invite you to private servers where you can access the new content.

http://www.quakelive.com

Just seen this yesterday. Quake Live is a blast. The charges don't look all that bad.

Damnit, weren't they getting enough money with the single advert for wolfenstein mobile on the main page!?

I guess I don't play very much quake live, but the problem I see is that I feel like I already bought this game years ago.

Premium only content, yeah, boo, hiss. $24 and $48 yearly for their subscriptions aren't exactly all that bad, though.

I would of bought a "Standard" account for 30 for life and possibly paid the 4 a month to get my own private servers. I don't like this pay model at all...

Yeah I think they have to tweak their payment model - Choice of monthly aswell as yearly.

If they add new content and such i mean really, is 23.88 or $47.88 for a year for one game really that bad....that you can play from anywhere, literally....

To anyone who complains about this: It's been known for months, possibly even years, that this was coming. It was just a matter of time. This will be good for all the competitive players so they can have their own servers and upload their own maps. Hopefully the user base grows.

this has been in the pipeline for a million years. everyone knew it was coming, this should come as no surprise.

the game is still free, if you honestly can't afford TWO DOLLARS a month for a ton of new shit then i don't know what to say.

this has been in the pipeline for a million years. everyone knew it was coming, this should come as no surprise.

the game is still free, if you honestly can't afford TWO DOLLARS a month for a ton of new shit then i don't know what to say.

People are fucking cheap and think they are entitled to something. What did you expect?

No this hasnt been coming for years...

Premium accounts for hosting servers yes.

Premium only maps and modes.. No.

$2? I paid a lot more than that for this game... 10 years ago.

Anyway only 560 people have bought a pro account and 456 have bought a premium. Thats just over 1000 people. Man I bet those new maps are ghost towns.

I'd be down for a reasonably priced box that allowed me to play forever even though I've already paid for quake 3, but this per-month crap will not fly with me.

Why is being able to run your own dedicated server and use your own maps and mods "premium"? I did that back in '93 with Doom. This is a huge step backwards if you ask me.

I'd be down for a reasonably priced box that allowed me to play forever even though I've already paid for quake 3, but this per-month crap will not fly with me.

Why is being able to run your own dedicated server and use your own maps and mods "premium"? I did that back in '93 with Doom. This is a huge step backwards if you ask me.

Did doom ship with dedicated server capabilities? I dont think it did :confused:

Oh you know what i mean. I could start my own game with my own settings, my maps, my mods, on my machine. If you want we can argue technicalities and semantics, but that won't get us anywhere.

Oh you know what i mean. I could start my own game with my own settings, my maps, my mods, on my machine. If you want we can argue technicalities and semantics, but that won't get us anywhere.

Oh right I get you. Thats hosting your own game not hosting a dedicated server.

No this hasnt been coming for years...

Premium accounts for hosting servers yes.

Premium only maps and modes.. No.

$2? I paid a lot more than that for this game... 10 years ago.

Anyway only 560 people have bought a pro account and 456 have bought a premium. Thats just over 1000 people. Man I bet those new maps are ghost towns.

You are one pathetic troll. Almost 1100 people have subscribed now, in less than one day. That is pretty impressive considering half the euros have not been able to sub yet, and the website was not working all morning.

And servers are nowhere near ghost towns in the US east coast, I just played a few full games on premium servers.

Over 40,000 dollars in less than 1 day, not bad, I guess this game is dead right? lulz.

Premium only content, yeah, boo, hiss. $24 and $48 yearly for their subscriptions aren't exactly all that bad, though.

But I already own a copy of Quake 3, which only cost me $50 and I've played it consistently every year for the last decade.

Back