Quake II RTX

eclypse

2[H]4U
Hello.. I said Quake II remake to be released like June 6th! Redone with all RTX tech!

And best part it's a free upgrade if you own the original disk!

And also MULTIPLAYER!!!!!!

Woke up today to read this and thought I must be dreaming still.

Newest nvidia drivers released mentioned support for Quake II RTX.

New GeForce Game Ready 430.86 WHQL drivers provides the optimal gaming experience for Quake II RTX and Assetto Corsa Competizione:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/quake-ii-rtx-game-ready-driver

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/quake-ii-rtx-june-6-release-date/

Wish they would release this for the original Quake as well! That would totally kick some serious ass!

The original quake and Duke Nukem 3d were my first 2 pc games I bought back in 94! Thise 2 games were the whole reason why I got in to PC's in the first place.

Quake 2 was the best times I've ever had playing online games. Many late nights in FFA! Spamming up many maps with the Granade launcher! Lol

Quake II was hands down the ebst Quake, mostly because of

QUAKE ][ CTF baby

Q2 CTF was probably my most fun experience of all my PC gaming time

Performance looks to be a big oof - people are saying ~20 FPS at 720p on a 1080 Ti. :eek:

60fps steady @1080p on my RTX2070.

Slideshow if I do native 4k, 15fps.

Just messed around for a few minutes.

Ray tracing on a 1080 Ti, :ROFLMAO:.

100 FPS on a 2080 Ti at 1920x1080.

Just makes me wonder why nVidia even bothered enabling Ray Tracing on the non-RTX cards when it's completely unplayable in apparently any application.

I can tell you it's not going to make me want to buy an RTX card to play Quake II.

Just makes me wonder why nVidia even bothered enabling Ray Tracing on the non-RTX cards when it's completely unplayable in apparently any application.

I can tell you it's not going to make me want to buy an RTX card to play Quake II.

It's just a very playable tech demo anyhow, fun for those that happen to have a RTX card. No biggie.

Looks like absolute garbage on my RTX2070 at all resolutions. 60fps ~ 1080p but looks like playing in a snow storm albeit smooth running. Tried updating drivers to the ones that have Quake II RTX support in them according to the blurn on Experience, but still the same. No problems with any other games though which is strange & the menu screens are clear as crystal.

Incorrect that its unplayable in any application. Reason why they enabled raytracing for Pascal is for Developers mainly.

Bleeding edge is bleeding, not sure why that's a big surprise to anyone that's been a fan of tech for any time.

Because everyone online was bitching about it. And now that NVIDIA gave it to them everyone online is bitching about it.

Looks like absolute garbage on my RTX2070 at all resolutions. 60fps ~ 1080p but looks like playing in a snow storm albeit smooth running. Tried updating drivers to the ones that have Quake II RTX support in them according to the blurn on Experience, but still the same. No problems with any other games though which is strange & the menu screens are clear as crystal.

Turn on the denoiser? Seen on wccftech demo that they turned it off and it was like very noise image without that.

Turn on the denoiser? Seen on wccftech demo that they turned it off and it was like very noise image without that.

I have had a little play & got it running properly now. Got 35fps on my RTX2070 at 2160p which I am happy with there. I know that if I drop it to 1080p, I will get 60fps. The image just seems all that much crisper at 2160p and still smooth enough to play. Would have to see how that changes once several other players and action on the screen together lol

Reflections...

20190606164942_1.jpg

tried it on my 1080ti. ran like crap obviously but it also looked like a blurry mess. everything looks fuzzy and bleh to me. its not the noise thing.

the MG and chain gun are all fucked up. barely work.

and why did they change the railgun model to look like ass? the railgun was one of the coolest looking guns.

Last edited:
Ran it on my rig (GTX1080 and 7700k). At 1080P I got 10 - 11 FPS and terrible lag. Kept lowering the res, and finally at 720x480 was able to get mid-50s. Just like back in 1998!

Even at 720x480, strafing caused noticeable juddering. The frame rate counter read smooth, but there was noticable skipping. It got worse in areas with high reflective surface, such as the outdoor area/pool on map 1.

After messing around, I raised the res back to 1080 and changed the renderer to OpenGL, and was locked at 1000 FPS. Smoother than smooth, ha.

I'll let ya all know how she runs on a 2080ti KingPin eventually.. Not trying to brag but wanting to show best case scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auer
like this
Gave this a shot with my 2080 Ti just now. 4K is sorta kinda playable, to the tune of about 35 FPS. As I recall, 35 FPS was considered reasonably good back when Quake II came out, heh. It works a lot better at 1080P. I'm getting about 120-140 FPS.

It's probably heresy to admit this here, but I don't think I've ever actually played Quake II. I was 13 when it came out, and I didn't get even a half decent gaming PC until a couple of years later.

I can't help but wonder how much the ray traced graphics alter the actual game, though. I remember when Doom 3 came out, they made a big deal about how they were realistically modeling light and shadow. Something I noticed in this game is that the dark scenes are really dark, kinda reminiscent of Doom 3, but you don't have the flashlight. If you go back to the OpenGL shader, those parts arent anywhere near as dark.

I do really hope someone makes a mod like this for Half Life. Half Life seems like the sort of game where the ray traced lighting would really shine (ha!). It would probably run even slower, though, since I recall Half Life being a little more detailed.

Just a FYI but the lighting in game changes from day to night if you want to, you can set it to match your day.

Or play in nite mode, evening, day or dawn.

seems resolution scaling makes a HUGE difference in how in looks but also makes a huge difference in FPS.

1080ti at 720p I was getting a solid 30fps with that setting a 100 but it looked like total ass, I mean complete muddled mess. everything was blurry as fuck. Change that to 120+ and it looks amazing but kills the FPS even more. at 150 I was getting 6fps, 120 I was at 19.

1080p I can push 30 with resolution scaling at 100 but again it looks SO bad...i mean worse than the original game to me.

Just a FYI but the lighting in game changes from day to night if you want to, you can set it to match your day.

Or play in nite mode, evening, day or dawn.

yea this is was kinda cool but also makes the game REALLY hard to play in certain areas.

If you have horrible input lag, enable frame limiter and vsync in the game options and set your in game res to "@60" refresh.

Q2 Lithium had me hooked.
Lithium was good. For me it was the 'Competition weapons' mod. Spent far too much time in Clan play in that one. Fellow clan members really liked fact that I was good at rockets and grenade, and *not* just another rail whore.

Lithium was good. For me it was the 'Competition weapons' mod. Spent far too much time in Clan play in that one. Fellow clan members really liked fact that I was good at rockets and grenade, and *not* just another rail whore.

Rockets and grenades! My specialty! Much skill involved and not just a point and shoot.

If you have horrible input lag, enable frame limiter and vsync in the game options and set your in game res to "@60" refresh.

Quake 2 always had hilariously awful input lag, by nature of the game. Combined with the wobbly gun models, it always baffled me how it ever got used for competitive gaming. :confused:

Here, I made this back in 2009...

q2_input_lag.jpg

willmaltby.com/stuff/Quake_2_Input_Lag.mp4

:ROFLMAO:

Back