'Quake II RTX' update delivers more realistic ray-traced visuals

erek

[H]F Junkie
The upgrade expands just where you'll see ray tracing kick in, too. It's now visible on security monitors, and you can even see hall-of-mirrors recursive reflections on certain surfaces.

Performance might also improve depending on your system. You now have the choice of dynamic resolution scaling that will try to maintain 60 frames per second by lowering the resolution when necessary. You can boost speed by limiting the number of reflection and refraction bounces, or by turning off temporal anti-aliasing.

The 1.2 update will install automatically if you have Quake II installed through Steam, but you can download it separately if you're using a stand-alone copy. The Quake II RTX three-map demo remains free -- you only need to buy something if you want to finish the fight with the Strogg and don't already have a copy of the game hanging around.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/26/quake-ii-rtx-1-2-updates-ray-tracing/

I have the collection, was just checking link and domain. isitdown says its up, but I cant access it. did update drivers this morning.

$1.49 in steam right now, so it isn't exactly breaking the bank.
I got the large update today for my free version.
I cant remember why it was free though, was it an early freeby or an offer someone posted?

I got the large update today for my free version.
I cant remember why it was free though, was it an early freeby or an offer someone posted?

the free quake II demo from nvidia is only the first 3 levels. If you have the full version, then you get the quake II RTX from steam.

This is what everyone needs...a $1000 video card to run a 20 year old game from the 90s

Yes, how dare someone actually make use of their tech and spend their own money making a FREE update to show it off. What a heinous crime, they should be burned at the stake for it.

I'm glad you agree!

j/k

da hell you guys think I been playing all day today?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/quake-ii-rtx-v1-2-update/

Capture.PNG

I'm glad they're improving the rendering system, but maybe they shouldn't mess with the textures as much. The one the left is not an improvement.

Last edited:
This one is an interesting excercise in making the scene overall worse and worse with each iteration :p

Capture.PNG

(left most image is the new 1.2 update, right most image is original)

Reactions: Youn
like this
I remember reading somewhere online that Nvidia was hiring people to work on these older games to enable RTX features. I think Quake 2 looks pretty cool and I played the game a couple of hours. I'll fire it up again and play some more this weekend. I hope that they go back a bit further and work on Quake 1.

Marketing Gimmick.

the cool kids won’t bother to play quake and the boomers already played it years ago.

Some of the effects are uncanny.

Especially the mirror reflections, they look so strange after seeing low-res/blurred reflections for so long in games.

Gameplay didn't age very well, sadly.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Some of the effects are uncanny.

Especially the mirror reflections, they look so strange after seeing low-res/blurred reflections for so long in games.

Gameplay didn't age very well, sadly.

Liquid reflections are nice too. I dont mind the outdated gameplay much, it's still entertaining enough.

Quake 2 RTX Remaster Screenshot 2019.11.28 - 08.40.33.93.png

It's pretty cool for nostalgia sake. Not into the changing textures thing, maybe upscale a bit. I still play the classics on occasion. They need to move on to id Tech 3 and unreal 2.

like this
One of the best gaming experiences i had (last year) was playing the addon Machine Games made for Quake 1.

like this
Can one still play this bad boy in multiplayer???

That would be like building a time machine and traveling back!

Btw.. to those that dont have a clue. Quake and quake II were the shit back in the day. I blew an easy 10+ years playing quake 2/3 FFA!

I have never have as much fun with an online game again since. Doom online has a close feel but still not the same.

Last edited:
My issue with quake 2 RT is that they messed with the original look of lots of scenes. Look, the software renderer was the original feel intended by the artists and the developers, so making everything bright, and not giving the proper hues to the light sources takes away from the atmosphere.

You were supposed to feel in an oppressive alien world with the dark red blood sky for example, that sensation is lost.

My issue with quake 2 RT is that they messed with the original look of lots of scenes. Look, the software renderer was the original feel intended by the artists and the developers, so making everything bright, and not giving the proper hues to the light sources takes away from the atmosphere.

You were supposed to feel in an oppressive alien world with the dark red blood sky for example, that sensation is lost.

Setting the time of day to permanently dusk or evening helps out with that. I have it set so that it follows my local time.

Quake 2 RTX Remaster Screenshot 2019.11.28 - 19.29.40.15.png

Quake 2 RTX Remaster Screenshot 2019.11.28 - 19.21.05.72.png

Quake 2 RTX Remaster Screenshot 2019.11.28 - 19.03.40.98.png

Back