Quake Champions – Sorlag Champion Trailer

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
When you try to bring down your clan’s shaman by spilling a sacred “bowel bowl” filled with steaming guts that is being used to open terrifying windows into “The Other Place,” and you just get sucked through the windows into the Realms where you are doomed to spend eternity battling against cruel Champions in the name of glory… you’re having bad day.

Well, alrighty then.

Watch the video.

I get the feeling they are trying too hard, but the moment they announced a company who makes console shooters was making this instead of id and they where not using the much praised id tech 6 but using the cheap console port farmhouse in house tech with pieces of id tech 6 I had little faith in the project. I was in the closed beta from the get go and while the shooting is there it feels too generic. The market is just crowded with hero/champion shooters and you are not going to out Overwatch, Overwatch

I didn't know they weren't using id tech 6, thats a really weird decision, considering how well Doom runs, especially with vulcan.

Why does this look like old versions of Quake with a bit of polish?

Oh because it is! :(

AKA he spits green goo.

Did you assume Sorgla's gender?

May not look like it, but as someone else pointed out, it's a she. Just look at that tale hur hur

Can't wait for them to fix all the waiting. Running and gunning is fun, waiting in queues is not. No need to drop people back to main menu after each game, id. What the fuck

I didn't know they weren't using id tech 6, thats a really weird decision, considering how well Doom runs, especially with vulcan.

Care to elaborate? What are they using? All I know for sure is the game is definitely not running too smooth. Could be just the net code, though.

Care to elaborate? What are they using? All I know for sure is the game is definitely not running too smooth. Could be just the net code, though.
It was well published last fall that they weren't running I'd tech 6 and that's why porting it to vulkan was going to be complicated

Id tech 7.
I played it throughout closed and public phases.
It's definitely captured Q3A in spirit.
Played smooth on my hardware, aside from two hard lockups which might be the overclock on the RX470. I backed it down from 1250 to 1230 and it hasn't hiccuped since.

Match finding took over a minute each time, sometimes much more. There's no AI opponents, and skill matching doesn't seem to be working just yet, probably due to the smaller size of the beta user base. You'll get thrown in with people who will railgun with 65% accuracy, etc.

I liked it a lot, but I also think that the same reasons that made Unreal Tournament much more fun for me than Q3A will still apply to QC. YMMV

Did you assume Sorgla's gender?

May not look like it, but as someone else pointed out, it's a she. Just look at that tale hur hur

Can't wait for them to fix all the waiting. Running and gunning is fun, waiting in queues is not. No need to drop people back to main menu after each game, id. What the fuck

Yeah, it really breaks the flow, when you found a good server or group of players, and want to play another match with, not an option. Back to matchmaking..

Id tech 7.
I played it throughout closed and public phases.
It's definitely captured Q3A in spirit.
Played smooth on my hardware, aside from two hard lockups which might be the overclock on the RX470. I backed it down from 1250 to 1230 and it hasn't hiccuped since.

Match finding took over a minute each time, sometimes much more. There's no AI opponents, and skill matching doesn't seem to be working just yet, probably due to the smaller size of the beta user base. You'll get thrown in with people who will railgun with 65% accuracy, etc.

I liked it a lot, but I also think that the same reasons that made Unreal Tournament much more fun for me than Q3A will still apply to QC. YMMV
it is not using id Tech 7 (doesn't exist) It is using Saber Interactive's in-house engine and some elements of id Tech. Per this Interview the game has been well in development before id Tech 6 was even finalized.

Also Quake Champions uses D3D11, and you know if id Software was developing this themselves, they wouldn't have gone with that API.

I don't have any faith in this game.

Yeah Atmosphere just isn't there instead of that fun sinking feeling of Quake with hidden secrets and stuff swimming you have this Ultra Fast deal.

Last edited:
Back