Quake Champions Official Thread

I don't know, a rail shot to the head as opposed to an armored body part seems ok to me. I'm not talking down to the finger, but head/chest for example? I wouldn't complain about that. I also wouldn't complain about it not being there either. I'd still rather have that than zoom-based variance.

Q2 had rail hs damage but I am on the side of not differentiating per body part. The game is fast enough at any semi-competent level headshots are more or less random events and rewarding randomness is not Quake's style.

ETA: I have no idea why I thought it had a headshot multiplier in Quake 2. I am retarded, and this is a testament to that fact.

Last edited:
Interesting! I used to play quite a bit, but haven't touched it in years. I just ordered a bunch of parts to update my desk game PC, so maybe I'll toss it on there. I've been playing on my living room machine for a long time, so haven't been playing an M+KB games since maybe Doom Eternal.

Wish it was just a straight up arena shooter again.

Did something happen that I'm not aware of? I haven't played in a couple of years, but last time I played it was more or less that. At least in the modes I chose to play in.

I'm thinking about grabbing the complete version for my daughters, so we can start private custom matches. I've played a lot of Borderlands with them, and a tiny bit of Q3:A, but I think it's time to train them some more on something Quake-ish.

I need to look it up, but I think you had to have the Champion pack to start custom matches before. Maybe that's changed now? (at work, and game sites are blocked for the most part)

Looks like Quake Champions has finally left beta/early access status.

WTF? It already went F2P for everyone 5 years ago.

I understood what they were doing with "modernizing" it, but I think they were doing it in all the wrong, crappy ways.
Tarnishing the competitve arena shooter elements and doing F2P in a way that sucks
They made the game less appealing to competitive arena shooter fans and didn't make it appealing the kids addicted to unlocking new content. Instead they took the worst of both worlds.

So it was very meh to me. Has it actually changed at all?

Did something happen that I'm not aware of? I haven't played in a couple of years, but last time I played it was more or less that. At least in the modes I chose to play in.

I'm thinking about grabbing the complete version for my daughters, so we can start private custom matches. I've played a lot of Borderlands with them, and a tiny bit of Q3:A, but I think it's time to train them some more on something Quake-ish.

I need to look it up, but I think you had to have the Champion pack to start custom matches before. Maybe that's changed now? (at work, and game sites are blocked for the most part)
I really liked Q3: Team Arena, even though it was considered a flop. The bots were fairly decent for the time as well.

I never knew it was considered a flop. Then again I never got into it at the time because my pingtimes were terrible. Yeah, my pingtimes. Totally not my skill. I would have preferred a single-player game, which it didn't offer.

The bots on quake live aren't terrible if you add them yourself and choose fast thinktime. The default thinktime with "nightmare" bots is essentially "i can win" or some crap.

I never knew it was considered a flop. Then again I never got into it at the time because my pingtimes were terrible. Yeah, my pingtimes. Totally not my skill. I would have preferred a single-player game, which it didn't offer.

The bots on quake live aren't terrible if you add them yourself and choose fast thinktime. The default thinktime with "nightmare" bots is essentially "i can win" or some crap.
You could play offline with team arena. I always did. Online I had 300 ping lol

Yeah pretty sure I had a triple-digit ping. Except that time we had a T1 for a year or so. Low throughput, but dang low pingtimes.

Not many players anymore but I got used to this game and enjoyed the shit out of it. Hopefully this will bring more player back. Quake3/Live it is not but it is still a very fun "Arena Shooter" game.

qc comeback.png

We're tryin to bring it back!

This game only peaked at 17k??? Shit I'd have thought it was more

Yeah, I don't think it ever really took off. It had a lot of performance/netcode issues when it first launched into early access and for a while I believe there was literally 1 employee working on it.

I never really understood all the hate for character abilities in that game. Imo, they're not even close to a "ez win button" and they don't make legacy Quake skill any less relevant. But in reality, most of the hate does come from people who never bothered to play it

I never really understood all the hate for character abilities in that game. Imo, they're not even close to a "ez win button" and they don't make legacy Quake skill any less relevant. But in reality, most of the hate does come from people who never bothered to play it

Like, Quake is peak arena. It doesn't need to add anything the same way Counter Strike doesn't need to add anything. They're exactly what they need to be without superfluous gimmicks.

You can play 1000 hours of those games and still be improving. Skills and shit like that just rarely move the needle on improving the formula in any meaningful way in my opinion.

BUT THEY HAVE AN ABILITY AND THERE'S COUNTER PLAY AND AND

back in my day the ability was you being good enough to jump from bridge to rail gun on q3dm6

I don't think the abilities really improve the game that much, I'm just saying that they don't ruin it or act as some magical bridge to the skill gap. Your Quake fundamentals are still going to be doing 95% of the work. Nobody who is bad/average at other Quake games is suddenly dominating in QC.

I could take or leave the abilities, but it's still a very solid game at its core.

I personally didn't like the abilities or the slight variations in class stats. But I've never even liked how influential "map control" is either.
I would rather play a game wich is based more on skill than hoarding powerups and armor which is why I like instagib so much. I feel like that's the essence of arena shooters. Most people don't like that though. And I think that's why arena shooters will never be big compared to other genres.

I personally didn't like the abilities or the slight variations in class stats. But I've never even liked how influential "map control" is either.
I would rather play a game wich is based more on skill than hoarding powerups and armor which is why I like instagib so much. I feel like that's the essence of arena shooters. Most people don't like that though. And I think that's why arena shooters will never be big compared to other genres.
To be fair, Quake was always about controlling the weapon and powerup spawn points. You gain control of the respawn cycle and prevent anybody else from getting equipped.

To be fair, Quake was always about controlling the weapon and powerup spawn points. You gain control of the respawn cycle and prevent anybody else from getting equipped.

Yep exactly. While I do like some strategy in my games I didn't really enjoy that part of it and it played too big of a role because the starting weapon isn't strong enough.
That was one of the best parts about the original Halo: CE. The starting weapon was arguably the best all round weapon in the game and you always stood a chance in every fight right when you spawned.

Yep exactly. While I do like some strategy in my games I didn't really enjoy that part of it and it played too big of a role because the starting weapon isn't strong enough.
That was one of the best parts about the original Halo: CE. The starting weapon was arguably the best all round weapon in the game and you always stood a chance in every fight right when you spawned.

That sort of removed some of the strategy from it though. Really Quake and UT were map lock games at core. You'd time each weapon and power up and work on denial and then the frags would come on their own. Advanced players could at times for you to respawn at set areas and then get there as you were spawning for a free kill. And not all the Quake spawn weapons were bad, per say. If you look at Quake 3 the machine gun isn't terrible and the gauntlet is fine. Of the "main" weapons only rockets, rail, and ltg are utility the rest are all sort of situational. IE nades and plasma aren't good by any stretch, but they serve roles.

Quake World (best quake!) also sort of falls into this trap where really most of the combat is LTG and rockets. But it's simple enough to get them.

The only "bad" Quake when it came to this was Quake 2 which sort of was a hot mess. The machine gun is arse, you spawn with a pistol, the minigun is broken, the railgun was a WTF at the time. The BFG is just doofy. I still love it. But it's a hot mess.

Halo is not a good game. And no, spawning with the defacto best weapon is not good game design. Not that I dislike it Halo is hilarious on the PC with constant road killing yourself and other moments but it's not well designed. The kicker with Quake, and UT does this as well, is there are movement options if you are good. You're never "stuck" in a fight you can nope right out of it in a nano second if you so choose. This of course depends on several factors but you don't have to fight a fight you can't win. Halo does not have this.

Like, Quake is peak arena. It doesn't need to add anything the same way Counter Strike doesn't need to add anything. They're exactly what they need to be without superfluous gimmicks.

You can play 1000 hours of those games and still be improving. Skills and shit like that just rarely move the needle on improving the formula in any meaningful way in my opinion.

BUT THEY HAVE AN ABILITY AND THERE'S COUNTER PLAY AND AND

back in my day the ability was you being good enough to jump from bridge to rail gun on q3dm6
I agree with you on quake. I don’t think a bit of modernization would hurt counter strike though.

I started playing counterstrike when it was a mod for half life. Long before steam was even a thing. I also played source for a few years.

When Call of Duty 4 came out I went pretty hard into it. Still think it was the best in the series due to mod support, dedicated servers, maps.

After playing COD4 for a good while I remember getting on counterstrike and it feeling awful and clunky comparatively. I felt like I wanted to ADS especially at targets at a moderate distance.

Never really played it much since then. I picked up cs go for nostalgia and played some gun game with my cousin and son, just feels archaic to me in the same way that early MMORPGS do. Quake 3 and UT still feel perfect to me though.

While I’m on my counterstrike rant…. Can we have the guys that remade the Militia maps flogged. The original was my favorite and was for a lot of other people judging by how many 24/7 militia severs we had 20+ years ago. I don't know why they can’t understand that choke points are fun.

I don’t think a bit of modernization would hurt counter strike though.
I started playing counterstrike when it was a mod for half life. Long before steam was even a thing. I also played source for a few years.

Same, was fun as a mod and beta back when they actually had night maps like the larger train yard which is why NV goggles were in the buy menu lol.

I really liked CS up to 1.3, after that it took a while to get used to the gimping in 1.5 but it was good. I hated 1.6. I remember valve demoing it at a CPL event and it not going well. I know they cleaned it up a bit but ick. CS:S I loved and played a lot. GO was tough. When it came out it was not very fun. A year later they had made it quite a lot better so I played it for a long time.
What killed it for me was they just could not leave the guns alone. I get some minor tweaks but it was like every other week the guns were doing different things.

That sort of removed some of the strategy from it though. Really Quake and UT were map lock games at core. You'd time each weapon and power up and work on denial and then the frags would come on their own. Advanced players could at times for you to respawn at set areas and then get there as you were spawning for a free kill. And not all the Quake spawn weapons were bad, per say. If you look at Quake 3 the machine gun isn't terrible and the gauntlet is fine. Of the "main" weapons only rockets, rail, and ltg are utility the rest are all sort of situational. IE nades and plasma aren't good by any stretch, but they serve roles.

Quake World (best quake!) also sort of falls into this trap where really most of the combat is LTG and rockets. But it's simple enough to get them.

The only "bad" Quake when it came to this was Quake 2 which sort of was a hot mess. The machine gun is arse, you spawn with a pistol, the minigun is broken, the railgun was a WTF at the time. The BFG is just doofy. I still love it. But it's a hot mess.

Halo is not a good game. And no, spawning with the defacto best weapon is not good game design. Not that I dislike it Halo is hilarious on the PC with constant road killing yourself and other moments but it's not well designed. The kicker with Quake, and UT does this as well, is there are movement options if you are good. You're never "stuck" in a fight you can nope right out of it in a nano second if you so choose. This of course depends on several factors but you don't have to fight a fight you can't win. Halo does not have this.

Gonna disagree with you there. Having the entire "strategy" of a game revolve around timing and guarding weapon and powerups is just garbage gameplay and not fun.
The fun part about arena shooters is the actual SHOOTING. Running around avoiding the enemy and spawn camping is garbage gameplay. It's not fun to play and it's not fun to watch.

And you know exactly what I'm talking about if you watch any pro Quake at all.
It happens almost every single game. After a few minutes one player gains map control and the other gets repeatedly stomped because he's at such a huge disadvantage. Matches end up 25-3 or super low kill counts ending at the time limit because the entire game is players running around hiding.
Exciting matches where both players are repeatedly engaging each other on an even level are RARE. That should be the norm.

Gonna disagree with you there. Having the entire "strategy" of a game revolve around timing and guarding weapon and powerups is just garbage gameplay and not fun.
The fun part about arena shooters is the actual SHOOTING. Running around avoiding the enemy and spawn camping is garbage gameplay. It's not fun to play and it's not fun to watch.

It happens almost every single game. After a few minutes one player gains map control and the other gets repeatedly stomped because he's at such a huge disadvantage. Matches end up 25-3 or super low kill counts ending at the time limit because the entire game is players running around hiding.
Exciting matches where both players are repeatedly engaging each other on an even level are RARE. That should be the norm.
That's what games like Call of Duty offer, though. When everybody outfits with the same meta, though, you're still going to end up with a small percentage of people stomping everybody else.

Never really been much into 1v1s in Quake myself. Not denying it still takes an incredible amount of skill, but just given the nature of the game I prefer playing TDM/CTF/Instagib
Though I will say that I think the abilities in QC can help offset the power up control aspect of 1v1 duels to some degree, which I think is a good thing and makes duels more watchable. I see them as more of an anti-snowball mechanic more than a overpowered comeback mechanic.

OK then COD console it is for you! Enjoy Halo and COD 2.

Back