Quake Champions Official Thread

Went up against some higher ranked (25, 30+) and was absolutely wrecked. They seemed to swap weapons + fire faster than I could (even using keybinds), not to mention the pro-level near-insta 180 turn rail guns. Whether actually that good or aimbots, when you go up against someone like that you have no chance, zero. They wipe out the whole team effortlessly, moreso than other shooters where you could possibly have a chance given mechanics. In this, you're fucked.

Had a couple even matches that were outstandingly fun though. Still probably won't buy/put money into the game.

I'd buy 8 copies of the game day one if they put in dedicated servers. Without it, I'll probably grab one copy, play every so often between other things.

I agree not having dedicated servers is huge. Too bad they don't have that as an option. I would pay extra for that.

Doesnt feel the same as the old quake?

It isn't the old Quake but it does have potential. They have some bugs to workout and I hope this patch coming Thursday addresses some of the major issues. If not I am worried for this game since they are opening it up to everyone for 11 days and the NDA ends on the 12th.

Large-Scale Tech Test now open

From May 12 through May 21, there will be a Large-Scale Tech Test where everyone who wants to play Quake Champions will be able to...Unlike the previous weekends-only structure, the game will remain live 24/7 during the Tech Test...During the Tech Test, you’ll also be able to try out an all-new 4v4, team-based competitive mode: Sacrifice

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3196...e-quake-champions-open-beta-this-weekend.html

I'm downloading now...too bad you need to install the Bethesda Game Launcher program...

Much better this time around, hope they get it optimized soon, would like to play it on triple screens above 30 FPS O_O
Weapons and abilities are much better and with some fine tuning should be good.

I went into this with an open mind, a long time Quake fan, with that said I'm going to repeat what I said on their forums. This game as is is a complete pile of shit and here's why:

1. Doom has a perfectly fine netcode, quake 3 has a good netcode, quake 1/2's arguably is the best I've played. I don't understand where it all went wrong. This is barely playable half the time. Every other game I play is fine.

2. The rocket launcher is pivotal to Quake and is a huge part of what makes it different to other games among many other reasons. Even with the new patch, it is terrible.

3. The champion abilities are in no way balanced(this will probably be fixed, but it's worth mentioning)

4. Zoom damage... this is beta, not alpha, for you all to be professional game designers and to have not seen how absurdly stupid this was is beyond comprehension. A simple macro will allow people to exploit this. If you want to do it the tf2 way with the sniper that's fine, I wouldn't like it at all, but at least it would make a little sense I guess. Imagine trying to watch this game on Twitch. Whoever was responsible for this decision needs to take a step back from your position of making gameplay decisions, and find another role within the company. This decision was that absurdly bad.

5. As I said in another thread I was fine with something completely new, I was fine with going hardcore old school, but this is just not fun at all in my opinion.

6. Sacrifice isn't that confusing to me, it's also not fun. It just feels like tdm with added flare that I don't want to take part in.

7. Finally I wanted this to be Clan Arena focused or something similar. You should base your game around concepts that are popular, because you are a business and want to make more money. See what works, do polling to see what's popular, look at what people actually play. Round based games are the future, respawning constantly doesn't bring value in living or despair when dying. It makes the game feel empty. That's why clan arena was by far the most popular gameplay mode in Quake Live, it's why Rocket Arena was by far the most played mode in Quake 3 (I looked at gamespy stats daily, I really like stats). It's why Counterstrike has reigned supreme over the years, also dota, and lol. Give people what they want, and they will give you money. Developers who think they know more than the community, always fail. I would love to see an example of me being wrong about this.

I'd buy 8 copies of the game day one if they put in dedicated servers. Without it, I'll probably grab one copy, play every so often between other things.
Good thing its F2P.

I'm told old for this kind of thing anymore...I twitch skills are just WAY to bad....

I'm told old for this kind of thing anymore...I twitch skills are just WAY to bad....
That's what I said at first. I just kept plugging away at it, just having fun for the sake of blowing people up with the rocket launcher. Over the past few days, I've started getting my groove back.
QuakeChampions 2017-05-15 02-15-34-74.jpg

Unable to join any game. Game counter keeps going and going and going... Cannot chat without anyone even though I've typed text in and pressed enter.

If this piece of shit is called Quake I'd really hate to see any other future crap from Bethesda.

Game is not terrible but needs work, they broke the LG in this last patch but they currently have the servers down for about an hour to patch it.

I poo pood on Sacrifice at first, now it's all i've played last 3 days and can't stop clicking play. I still think ctf would be better, and it needs better maps. but it's pretty fun when you have a team knows what it's doing.
Went 50-26 last night. Not bad for an old man on a 60hz office monitor and a 25 dollar mouse Rocket Launcher is much improved, I love it. Netcode still needs work, but when it's good it's great. I'll never be a 50-0 guy I'm too reckless, at least 3 of those death were suicides ;p

Taking it for what it is, it is fun if you can deal with the bugs ect. It's beta. Quake 3 has had 17 years of patches and bug fixes, let's be honest, and it's still not perfect.

Humiliation, From the Grave, Kamikaze.. Choo Choo!

This is a fun game but I have just as much fun playing Dirty Bomb or COD. Game isn't really skill based as I would like.

Biggest problem I have with this game is not everyone is on a level playing field when you spawn, some champions have more health and armor at spawn than others, if you choose a Champion like Nyx, which starts out at 75 health, you are at an immediate disadvantage. Also, at this point the Railgun, which should be the most powerful weapon, is really weak.

Biggest problem I have with this game is not everyone is on a level playing field when you spawn, some champions have more health and armor at spawn than others, if you choose a Champion like Nyx, which starts out at 75 health, you are at an immediate disadvantage. Also, at this point the Railgun, which should be the most powerful weapon, is really weak.

I agree, the Railgun should be a powerful, intimidating weapon, but some characters can take at least 3 shots and not die. Feels like they need to bump its damage for sure.

UT is better.

No, it isn't. Same old stale UT gameplay with a few convoluted moves on top of it. They should've taken the 2004 way

Starting QC takes forever after the update :/

Played this again last night... it said I had 30ms ping yet it felt way laggier than that. Ugh.

I agree about the rail gun. It needs a buff for sure and that bullshit with zooming in making it more powerful is retarded. That is not quake and needs to go. The zoom function is fine but the damage shouldn't be higher when zoomed. No reason for that.

As far as nyx. If you pay attention you will see most of the skilled vets use her because they have their movement down and know how to strafe properly. In the right hands that small hit to her up means nothing but her speed boost means everything. Movement and speed followed by precision is everything in quake. Give an already skilled player a faster moving toon and he's even more deadly. It's why the better players use her. They aren't thinking defensively they are always in your face thinking offensively. Oh and if in trouble their defense is to get the fuck out of harm's way and fast. Again her speed comes into play here.

If this were cod or bro would agree she's underpowered but not in quake with the right person using her.

I agree about the rail gun. It needs a buff for sure and that bullshit with zooming in making it more powerful is retarded. That is not quake and needs to go. The zoom function is fine but the damage shouldn't be higher when zoomed. No reason for that.

As far as nyx. If you pay attention you will see most of the skilled vets use her because they have their movement down and know how to strafe properly. In the right hands that small hit to her up means nothing but her speed boost means everything. Movement and speed followed by precision is everything in quake. Give an already skilled player a faster moving toon and he's even more deadly. It's why the better players use her. They aren't thinking defensively they are always in your face thinking offensively. Oh and if in trouble their defense is to get the fuck out of harm's way and fast. Again her speed comes into play here.

If this were cod or bro would agree she's underpowered but not in quake with the right person using her.

I've been playing with nyx, and love the speed and the ability to walljump can help dodge shots too. I think the lower health and armor is a fair tradeoff. When the server is running smooth, the movement feels great. The skateboard charater looks pretty fast too, but I haven't put in any time using him.

I didn't know the RG does more damage zoomed in, that doesn't make any sense to modify damage if scoped. I would prefer them to be equal, but if they did make a distinction, you would think they would reward the person no-scoping. Strange.

Unfortunately, with no dedicated servers, you randomly get a server that feels laggy, or one thats decent. If they allow for dedicated servers, it would really make a huge difference. I'm not sure why they don't allow it to be an advanced option to browse/connect with server browser, and let it default to matchmaking for people who don't care, everyone wins.

Reactions: Savoy
like this
Enjoying duel but it sure takes a while to in a game. It's silly how match making somehow forces everyone out after a game is over. It gets old pretty fast, especially in duel

I keep trying to love the game but I can't. To me, this is the next Rainbow Six Vegas 2, tons of potential screwed over by cheap p2p connection and no dedicated servers. You get rounds where you melt face, and rounds you plaster a guy, and he melts your face in seconds.

I keep trying to love the game but I can't. To me, this is the next Rainbow Six Vegas 2, tons of potential screwed over by cheap p2p connection and no dedicated servers. You get rounds where you melt face, and rounds you plaster a guy, and he melts your face in seconds.

I am having some similar struggles, at its base there is a lot to like and enjoy. But I find that it is so damn inconsistent, 3 rail gun shots on Nyx and she lives to kill me with one as Scale. Melee hits that do virtually nothing but I get slaughtered by mele in one go :(

Match making is not perfect so I can forgive that as the pool of players is probably smaller then it will be but I hate matchmaking. At LEAST the game will continue when people leave. I hope they put in some larger maps for more expanded play.

Crazy to see someone with a 200 ping teleporting around the map like crazy but they seem able to see us smoothly. How is the netcode so hard these days. Quake 2 and 3 to a lesser degree still had a TON of dial up users with 2 to 300ms pings that played smooooooth. Wtf.

Overall I'm still having fun but there are nights the scale tips waaaaaaa into the I hate it category due to that crap.

Yeah game has no life to it no active chat just a bunch of good looking graphics no character I think ID tried though.
Just way too boxed in to be a fun quake game and too random.

If you want a fun FPS try Dirty Bomb I even had more fun with Warface than Quake Champions.

Yeah game has no life to it no active chat just a bunch of good looking graphics no character I think ID tried though.
Just way too boxed in to be a fun quake game and too random.

If you want a fun FPS try Dirty Bomb I even had more fun with Warface than Quake Champions.

How's the current online population in Dirty Bomb? I liked playing it a couple years ago but there weren't a lot of players even then. How is it now?

How's the current online population in Dirty Bomb? I liked playing it a couple years ago but there weren't a lot of players even then. How is it now?

Game is on fire population wise it needs more maps if anything. People playing on East and West Coast servers.
Over in the EU tons of people playing because it's free and good maps need something to be desired I still like the look of the game cause it's really clean.

So, they've added BJ Blazkowicz and Blood Run (ZTN). BJ's special is basically akimbo mode. It's kind of crazy

Patch Notes – CBT 10 (E3 Build)

Welcome to the Quake Champions Beta! We’ve made a lot of changes in this build, many of which we just revealed at the Bethesda E3 Showcase! The first big change is that beta is now open 24/7! That means you can just in and play any time you want, unless we have a maintenance window or are deploying a future patch. We’ll keep you in the loop about any planned outages.
We’ve also added a LOT of goodness. Here’s the list of other new additions that you can check out right now:

NEW Champion:
B.J. Blazkowicz added to the Champion roster!
• Dual Wield (Active)

BJ calls for back-up and answers his own call. Double [censored] weapons, BJ takes turns firing them in rapid succession to lay down some heavy fire, but he will burn through some serious ammo to do so.

• Regeneration (Passive)
BJ can regenerate any damaged health inside one 25 HP block, if he doesn’t receive damage for 3 seconds.
• Stats:
• 100 / 100 HP
• 25 / 50 AP
• 310 -> 560 ups

• Customizations includes 3 outfits and 1 vanity item.

NEW Weapon:
• New weapon added – The Tri-Bolt!
o The Tri-Bolt fires three bolts armed with timed explosives. Each bolt fires in quick succession, allowing the user to concentrate or spread the fire as needed.

NEW Maps:
- Lockbox added -- a new Ithagnal themed arena for Sacrifice, Team Deathmatch, and Deathmatch
- Blood Run added -- a new Volkerh themed Duel arena
- Corrupted Keep added -- a new Goroth themed Duel arena

Custom Game:
- Party with friends to play private matches on the arena and game mode of your choice!
- Party Leaders can pre-configure teams in the Match Lobby by dragging players between pillars.
- Start Match button will be disabled if the amount of players present is lower than required
- Start Match button will be disabled in Duel mode if players don’t have 3 Champions available

NEW Spectator Mode:
• Spectator mode added within Custom Game!
o Invite friends to your party and drag them to the Match Lobby Spectator Box to allow them to spectate the match.
o Spectators can toggle camera modes between players, rooms, and free-float by pressing [L. SHIFT].
o Players can cycle through players or rooms with [LEFTARROW] and [RIGHTARROW] or by pressing [1]-[0] number keys for specific players or rooms.
o Spectators can press [X] to toggle x-ray outlines to see players locations through walls to help follow the action.

Main Menu UI:
• Added Tutorials section.
• Updated Loot Box Store
• New Shader Customization preview icons (now correctly matching their patterns)

NEW Tutorials:
• We have added the first three videos in our series of Beta Tutorials – “Welcome to Quake Champions,” “Health, Armor, & You: Controlling Your Stack,” and “Power-Ups: Turning the Tides of War.”
• These videos are currently accessible by clicking the Movie icon on the Main Menu.

In-game:
• New initial spawn points in Duel for Ruins of Sarnath
• Adjusted item placements on all maps affecting all modes
• Fix for not being able to pick-up armor shards or the Soul until only after their bounce animation ends

Music:
• Added new music set for the Dimension of the Doomed (Goroth themed maps: Burial Chamber, Corrupted Keep)
• Added music set for the Netherworld (Ithagnal themed maps: Lockbox)

Known Issues:
• A party of more than two players may enter a Duel lobby. The Start Match button is not disabled if the extraneous players remain present on the pillars instead of being moved to Spectator. Players who are still stuck on the podium after two Duel players are selected will be presented with an error message that you've been "kicked from the match." Upon receiving this error, you will need to restart the client to continue playing.

Interesting, will have to give it a try, Hope they put some balance in the last few updates.

Interesting, will have to give it a try, Hope they put some balance in the last few updates.

Sadly the new character seems lame in the context of the game, not against cross IP stuff but this seems odd. Balance is still screwy. The core game is fun but damn is it frustrating. Get more annoyed at it than I do playing Player Unknown's for 23 minutes stealthily surviving close to the ed just to get one shot killed in the back without ever shooting at someone or seeing most players.

Went up against some higher ranked (25, 30+) and was absolutely wrecked. They seemed to swap weapons + fire faster than I could (even using keybinds), not to mention the pro-level near-insta 180 turn rail guns. Whether actually that good or aimbots, when you go up against someone like that you have no chance, zero. They wipe out the whole team effortlessly, moreso than other shooters where you could possibly have a chance given mechanics. In this, you're fucked.

Had a couple even matches that were outstandingly fun though. Still probably won't buy/put money into the game.

A lot of people have been playing Quake for almost 20 years now. Furthermore games like Battlefield actively make you worse at these sorts of twitch based FPS games, and many modern FPS games like Overwatch don't ever require the same skills. The skill ceiling of Quake is absurd, and the sheer skill curve (more like cliff) means there is a much bigger gap between the various skill levels in it.

That's always been the case with Quake. Currently a good portion of the higher level players are simply old school Quake heads who pack over a decade of experience under their belts and play the beta a lot, so yeah it's brutal but that's why you come to Quake.

EDIT:- Also you do realize it's faster to swap from certain weapons to other weapons, always has been?

I've been playing Quake Champions on steam for a few days, it's been humbling. I've usually in the top 5 or 10 on any given Battlefield server....or any other FPS game for that matter. I am almost always at the bottom of the list playing Quake Champions! I don't know what I'm doing wrong but man it's hard to get a kill.

I'm still enjoying it though, I've been a PC gamer for 20+ years and played all of the originals so it's a blast no matter what.

I played it again this passed weekend and still have some issues with it. Its fun and the classic movements, speeds and such are a blast. Hero classes and HP differences are still a bit off IMO. Some of the ults are still not very balanced either and paying for heroes with those better ults is blah.

Great game at its core though. I'm usually in the middle / top 1/3rd but I was always more of a UT99 player vs Q3 which I did enjoy a lot of.

Back