Quake Champions is Getting a New Champion

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Do you play Quake Champions? Are you tired of the current choices you have to choose from? Well now you are finally going to get a new champion, Keel, and he's going to be made available with the winter update on December 14th. Take a look at his story trailer and let me know what you think.

Watch the video here.

They lost their roots, trying to make a Free-to-Pay game out of it.

On the good side, Quake2:Ground Zero and Quake 3 Arean are still fucking awesome.

We played those, as well as UT2k4 and UT3 this weekend, on LAN.

Get off your phones, make a party, and laugh at the guy who starts drinking first, lol.

I got Champions included with some Humble Bundle. It looks fine, but it doesn't "feel" like Quake 3. It moves and looks like Doom (2016). Can't say I cared for it.

They lost their roots, trying to make a Free-to-Pay game out of it.

On the good side, Quake2:Ground Zero and Quake 3 Arean are still fucking awesome.

We played those, as well as UT2k4 and UT3 this weekend, on LAN.

Get off your phones, make a party, and laugh at the guy who starts drinking first, lol.

It is shocking how well Q3A has held up, and the UT games. All my friends ever wanted to play at lan parties though was Enemy Territory, which is fine, but got super old.

so, what's his power? smart projectiles?

keel was the best q3 skin due its dimensions being the most representative of the hit box.

looking forward to more characters and maps. also brighter colours and less detail

I have hundreds of skins for Q3; remember Catholic Schoolgirl?

She was normal most of the time, but every once in awhile she changed to a bikini, and was deadly accurate!
Bots from hell, lol.

I noticed this weekend that the 'experienced' bots in UT2k4 were matching us pretty well; we used to play them full-up, when we played a lot. :)

If they would have just made a Quake game like Arena it would have been fine. Never turn your product into the product you're competing against.

I don't see quake champions succeeding. IMO the fundamental flaw is that the game is too complex. For a new person entering a high speed deathmatch game there is a lot to learn, and you must combine that with getting really good aim and movement. So you jump in and you have to start memorizing where all the items are in the map, how to use each gun, and all the meta play associated with it. With QC though they made it even more complex by adding the heros you now have to think about a bunch of random super powers on top of all that. And that would be fine if they had taken anything out, but they didn't. So new players jump in and they are up against all these quake pros, many whom have played for over a decade so its already hard enough, and they have to learn everything the pros know plus new heros and abilities. The pros, they only need to learn the new heros and abilities. You get slaughtered and people just leave. And unlike a lot of modern games you have pretty much no chance of just getting a crazy luck kill. CSGO one sloppy shot that hits a head kills anyone, OW if you can get a super you might get play of the game, PUBG land on a good gun and randomly see a person who doesn't see you.

If they wanted heros, they needed to take something out of the maps to simplify it. Something like overwatch can have all these diverse heros because you don't have to collect every gun you use, armor, etc..... People can focus on the heros and how they create the game meta. Quake was about the items and powers and how they where controlled and it was already overwhelming to new people to play against that and strafe jumping etc... The easiest thing they could have done would be remove all armor from the game. I don't even know why a totally unrealistic game needs or wants and armor mechanic anyway. Regardless the core mechanics of any game need to be reasonable enough for people to learn in a short time frame, how well people master those core mechanics and knowledge is what separates players and take more time. But you can't just keep adding more new powers, and abilities and guns that are all unique.

Last edited:
bruh the assertion that memorizing the map (both layout & powerups) & the gun attributes is imposing by itself is pretty laughable. one ability on top of that is still nothing - the game is incredibly simple (thats not a bad thing, just a neutral characteristic), & i strongly disagree that removing armor would improve it. the last thing we need is to dumb down an arena game.

the issue is that saber, the outsourced dev team, isnt in the same league as id software themselves. they dont know how to handle the engine & theyre hacking it apart with hatchets to build QC. furthermore they dont have creative investment in the entity that is ~quake~ & are just doing watever the hell id tells them to do...with varying degrees of specificity & competence...as they address said instructions.

patches are improving the game dramatically & theres good transparency regarding the technical issues saber faces with major stuff like projectile hitreg, raw mouse input, etc...but the entire problem is that if QC was developed in house by id, the game would be progressing faster, gameplay would be tighter because there wouldnt be crazy hitbox/input issues, there would be less bugs in general, optimization would be 1000% better, creative direction would be less flat, overall presentation would be more inspired...i could go on.

anyway more on topic, idc about this goober keel. wheres mynx??

Oh shoot, ti's been released already?
I keep bashing it as an upcoming game. I should switch my tense.

Back