Quake 4 won't start =(

NebulaD

Limp Gawd
I just installed quake four and I can't play. I double click the desktop icon the screen goes black for a few seconds then crashes back to the desktop. Anyone know why?

I am having a similar issue except mine will start but every time I get to the 2nd auto-save point it crashes back to the desktop. I have tried everything I can think of. Re-installed video drivers, scaned my hard drive for errors, defraged, re-installed the game, tried using a crack tried using drive emulation nothing seems to work. This is very agravating, I am gonna see if Q4 has an official forum to see if any one else is having this problem.

also have trouble with quake 4.

I start the game then it crashed directly to desktop after 2-3- sec. I dont even see the intro nothing. I tried it on both my machines. One on win xp pro the other on server 2003. On server 2003 I see a blue screen (not the windows BSOD) just a plain blue screen and it freezes there. I tried swaping my video cards swapped my x850xt pe with a x600 xt and it did the same problem. Both my machines are running a nforce 4 chipset and both have a x2 cpu in it. I also tried different ati drivers and hot fix beta for quake 4 and it didnt improve. Now I know the game works cause I played it at my friends house. He has a 7800 gtx with a nforce 4 chipset. I also played it with a 9800 pro agp on a another friends house.

So I am thinking its a pci-e ati nforce 4 compatibility problem or related to this.

LMK if you guys have a solution

Tomorrow I may just try a nvidia pci-e card to see if it works

Thanks

Mcklain

NebulaD said:
I just installed quake four and I can't play. I double click the desktop icon the screen goes black for a few seconds then crashes back to the desktop. Anyone know why?

Can you post youre system specs. I want to see if you have a nforce 4 with an ati pci-e card

Mcklain

Abit Ic7-max 3
P4 3.2 EO core
1gb corsair value select
BFG 6800 Ultra OC AGP
OCZ PowerStream 520w

If you have an Audigy card install the newest beta OpenAL drivers dated Sept 21st. That solved my problem.

Scott

Creative strikes again. No issues here, then again, I stopped using Creative's shit products years ago. :D

Creative released a newer (than the ones posted at S-D) set of drivers for audigy cards in their support site.

oldmx

After much tweaking, i get to the intro screens, but just when the main menu comes up, i get a notification about whether to share system info.

This notification is half off the screen and when i move my mouse, the pointer disappears and i cannot click on anything. ( i can barely see the two option buttons ).

I tried tab and space and enter, etc. to no avail.

I dont think the game has frozen because i can still alt-f4 it.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• quake4 issue.png
    quake4 issue.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 0
Well this is the mother of all necros. :eek:

I would say see if you can try to modify the resolution in the ini files somewhere. Seems like it's starting at too low a resolution and pushing the box off the screen?
Holy shit. 2005 necro.

Just wow. Just shows you how long google has been indexing this site

After much tweaking, i get to the intro screens, but just when the main menu comes up, i get a notification about whether to share system info.

This notification is half off the screen and when i move my mouse, the pointer disappears and i cannot click on anything. ( i can barely see the two option buttons ).

I tried tab and space and enter, etc. to no avail.

I dont think the game has frozen because i can still alt-f4 it.

Any ideas?
Add this to the command line options for the game in Steam:

+set r_mode -1 +set r_customWidth 1920 +set r_customHeight 1080 +set r_aspectRatio 1

Replace the 1920 and 1080 with whatever the resolution of your monitor is. Accepted aspect ratio values are 0 (4:3), 1 (16:9), and 2 (16:10).

Reactions: djoye
like this
I replayed Q4 about a month ago (Steam version) and didn't have this issue, but did have the Ultra settings bug I had the last time I played. Where Ultra looks like low.
I used this as my config in the q4base folder and all was good. You can edit the OG or make your own. Just be aware if you crash after editing the OG, all settings will revert back to default. And do not change any graphic settings in game after applying this config mod, or it will revert back to default.

seta r_skipSky "0"
seta r_forceAmbient "0"
seta r_debugArrowStep "120"
seta r_debugLineWidth "1"
seta r_debugLineDepthTest "0"
seta r_forceLoadImages "0"
seta r_shadows "1"
seta r_useSMP "1"
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
seta r_renderer "best"
seta r_ignoreHWGamma "0"
seta r_brightness "1"
seta r_gamma "1"
seta r_swapInterval "0"
seta r_useIndexBuffers "0"
seta r_customHeight "1080"
seta r_customWidth "1920"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_displayRefresh "0"
seta r_mode "7"
seta r_aspectRatio "0"
seta r_alphaToCoverage "1"
seta r_multiSamples "2"
seta image_downSizeLimit "2048"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "2048"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "2048"
seta image_downSizeBump "0"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "0"
seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
seta image_useNormalCompressionLoadDDSForPal "1"
seta image_useNormalCompression "0"
seta image_useAllFormats "1"
seta image_useCompression "0"
seta image_downSize "0"
seta image_lodbias "0"
seta image_anisotropy "16"
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"

I replayed Q4 about a month ago (Steam version) and didn't have this issue, but did have the Ultra settings bug I had the last time I played. Where Ultra looks like low.
I used this as my config in the q4base folder and all was good. You can edit the OG or make your own. Just be aware if you crash after editing the OG, all settings will revert back to default. And do not change any graphic settings in game after applying this config mod, or it will revert back to default.

seta r_skipSky "0"
seta r_forceAmbient "0"
seta r_debugArrowStep "120"
seta r_debugLineWidth "1"
seta r_debugLineDepthTest "0"
seta r_forceLoadImages "0"
seta r_shadows "1"
seta r_useSMP "1"
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
seta r_renderer "best"
seta r_ignoreHWGamma "0"
seta r_brightness "1"
seta r_gamma "1"
seta r_swapInterval "0"
seta r_useIndexBuffers "0"
seta r_customHeight "1080"
seta r_customWidth "1920"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_displayRefresh "0"
seta r_mode "7"
seta r_aspectRatio "0"
seta r_alphaToCoverage "1"
seta r_multiSamples "2"
seta image_downSizeLimit "2048"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "2048"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "2048"
seta image_downSizeBump "0"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "0"
seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
seta image_useNormalCompressionLoadDDSForPal "1"
seta image_useNormalCompression "0"
seta image_useAllFormats "1"
seta image_useCompression "0"
seta image_downSize "0"
seta image_lodbias "0"
seta image_anisotropy "16"
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
I would use set instead of seta because it's almost impossible to go back to default settings if you ever need to if you archive the commands (like changing out hardware).

A few issues with your config:
  • image_usePrecompressedTextures should be set to 0 unless you're still using a video card with less than 512MB of VRAM.
  • Branching off from above, it may help to manually set the amount of VRAM. You can use the command com_videoRam in the console to see what the game detected. If it's wrong then you can use the same command with a value in MB to set it. For a 4GB card like the 960 it would be 4096. 8GB would be 8192 and 11GB would be 11264.
  • r_mode being set to 7 will force a default 4:3 resolution and ignore your r_customWidth and r_customHeight values. Set this to -1 for a custom resolution.
  • r_aspectRatio needs to be set to 1 for 16:9 resolutions. You can pair this with g_fov. I think the default hFOV in this game is 80 or 85 (check WSGF to be sure). Quake IV is properly hor+ when using the r_aspectRatio command, though, so you shouldn't need to change it.
  • The max value for image_anisotropy in Quake IV is 8. If you set it to 16 it will use a value of 1 as if you never set it.
Best practice before creating a config file is to enable the console, use the command setMachineSpec 3 and then execMachineSpec. This will set all the proper values for Ultra quality. From there you can create an autoexec.cfg file in q4base. I would not use either seta or set in autoexec. The first time launching the game after creating autoexec.cfg you have to execute the command exec autoexec.cfg in the console. After that the game will automatically execute the file on startup.

Last edited:
Good 'ol OpenAL. I still have that installed thanks to Dolphin. It's still the only way to get surround sound to work well with that damned emulator.

I would use set instead of seta because it's almost impossible to go back to default settings if you ever need to if you archive the commands (like changing out hardware).

A few issues with your config:
  • image_usePrecompressedTextures should be set to 0 unless you're still using a video card with less than 512MB of VRAM.
  • Branching off from above, it may help to manually set the amount of VRAM. You can use the command com_videoRam in the console to see what the game detected. If it's wrong then you can use the same command with a value in MB to set it. For a 4GB card like the 960 it would be 4096. 8GB would be 8192 and 11GB would be 11264.
  • r_mode being set to 7 will force a default 4:3 resolution and ignore your r_customWidth and r_customHeight values. Set this to -1 for a custom resolution.
  • r_aspectRatio needs to be set to 1 for 16:9 resolutions. You can pair this with g_fov. I think the default hFOV in this game is 80 or 85 (check WSGF to be sure). Quake IV is properly hor+ when using the r_aspectRatio command, though, so you shouldn't need to change it.
  • The max value for image_anisotropy in Quake IV is 8. If you set it to 16 it will use a value of 1 as if you never set it.
Best practice before creating a config file is to enable the console, use the command setMachineSpec 3 and then execMachineSpec. This will set all the proper values for Ultra quality. From there you can create an autoexec.cfg file in q4base. I would not use either seta or set in autoexec. The first time launching the game after creating autoexec.cfg you have to execute the command exec autoexec.cfg in the console. After that the game will automatically execute the file on startup.

That was my default config in q4base that changed when it crashed on the Makron before I edited it a second time and saved it to a notepad on my desktop.
Good catch. I thought it looked funny, but I saw 1080 and thought it stuck. :p I also run the disc version with this mod: https://www.gamewatcher.com/mods/quake-4-mod/highres-textures-q4-1-0#

This is my saved notepad config.

seta r_forceLoadImages "1" seta r_shadows "1" seta r_skipBump "0" seta r_skipSpecular "0" seta r_skipNewAmbient "0" seta r_renderer "best" seta r_brightness "1.2" seta r_gamma "1.125" seta r_swapInterval "0" seta r_useIndexBuffers "0" seta r_customHeight "1080" seta r_customWidth "1920" seta r_fullscreen "1" seta r_mode "-1" seta r_aspectRatio "1" seta r_alphaToCoverage "1" seta r_multiSamples "8" seta r_useSMP "1" seta image_downSizeLimit "0" seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0" seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "0" seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "0" seta image_downSizeBump "0" seta image_downSizeSpecular "0" seta image_useCache "0" seta image_cacheMegs "0" seta image_cacheMinK "2048" seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "0" seta image_useNormalCompressionLoadDDSForPal "0" seta image_useAllFormats "1" seta image_useCompression "0" seta image_downSize "0" seta image_lodbias "0" seta image_anisotropy "8" seta com_videoRam "2048"

It looks great once you can get it stable, the disc version runs like a dream except for the multicore issues (Gamers Hell to get patch) and doesn't have this bug on my end. Sorry for the misinformation.

The last time I tried to run this game, I had tor turn off all advanced lighting.

But I've never been able to finish the game, because eit's so boring.

Back