Quake 4 Review

name

Limp Gawd
Another so-so Quake 4 review. Only 8.1 @ IGN (and IGN is usually pretty generous in terms of scoring):

http://pc.ign.com/articles/658/658263p1.html

Serious Sam 2 scored better (8.2). I wonder what Gamespot will have to say - they gave SS2 a 6.9...

EDIT: Apparently, the score has been bumped to an 8.2

personally, havn't played Q4 but i think the 6 on the SS2 is about right

It seems like classic Quake 2 gameplay to me. I really never understood what these people want to expect out of the Doom and Quake franchises? If you change the gameplay too much it won't be Quake or Doom. Multiplayer seems like Quake 3 too, and not enough maps, well Quake 3 had horrible maps that shipped with it too. The modding community will make the maps. From the reviews it seems exactly what they promised it is, and these retarded reviewers think it is supposed to be something else. Oh well.

From what I read from the review. How the reviewer was talking didn't sound much like it deserved a 8.1 rating. I think at least one full point of that rating was only there because it's "Quake"...

It's actually an 8.2 now, apparently they changed the score. I think for me Gamespot is going to be the decider, I agree much more with their Serious Sam score rather than IGN's, at least based on the demo.

For some reason I get the feeling that a lot of publications that rated Doom 3 highly are taking this oppurunity to "right their wrong" by making Quake 4 their whipping boy. Most of their complaints about it are complaints many had about Doom 3, yet that game got much higher ratings. And hell, at least Quake 4 has good multiplayer, even if it has a paltry amount of maps. Doom 3's MP was a joke.

Ok I'll go read the review. I had heard PC Gamer slagged it pretty hard.
But the same score as SS 2 ? :rolleyes:

Banko said:
It seems like classic Quake 2 gameplay to me. I really never understood what these people want to expect out of the Doom and Quake franchises? If you change the gameplay too much it won't be Quake or Doom. Multiplayer seems like Quake 3 too, and not enough maps, well Quake 3 had horrible maps that shipped with it too. The modding community will make the maps. From the reviews it seems exactly what they promised it is, and these retarded reviewers think it is supposed to be something else. Oh well.

Thats one thing i'll never understand, these sites get interviews with the people making the game, devs state time and time again if its sp or mp focused. Game comes out, site then bitches about whatever mode wasn't a priority and seem to act like its a total suprise to them. Do these retards even watch or read their own interviews? Seems not. :mad:

Chris_B said:
Thats one thing i'll never understand, these sites get interviews with the people making the game, devs state time and time again if its sp or mp focused. Game comes out, site then bitches about whatever mode wasn't a priority and seem to act like its a total suprise to them. Do these retards even watch or read their own interviews? Seems not. :mad:

They just like to create fake "controversy" much like the media.
It doesn't sound bad to me. Only 9 mp maps does sound chintzy. How many of those are CTF ? Quake 3 shipped with how many, 4 CTF and like 13 DM ?

It looks like the graphics and bosses are amazing.
I think it will be worth it.

Still though I really have to ask wtf ? Same score as serious sam 2 ? whatever....

Banko said:

I agree with this by in large.
Quake needs to be a fast action game with ugly monsters and big guns. So long as it ends up being 'fun,' I don't care if they break the mold, or take the plunge, or whatever euphamism people want to use for trying something new that might or might not work.
(fun: subject term individual to the player, your mileage may varry)

Counter strike isn't still massively popular because it has great maps (it doesn't) or incredible graphics (it doesn't) or ground breaking game play (not any more anyway, at one time maybe), but because it's fun to play. And in the vast majority of the games, that's not something two or three guys in an office somewhere can tell you about a game.

The only thing that will decide if I buy Q4 will be the Q4 demo.

I think all these people are reviewing the game too harshly...

The reviews mentioned something about marine weapons being scattered in strogg territory and how its wierd... HELLO ITS QUAKE. Did anyone complain finding a double barrel shottie in Quake 2 in a hidden underground enemy bunker? Or a railgun just sitting on the floor?

I think Raven shouldn't have concentrated on story at all, just something like you crashed and now you have to kill a ton of bitches to get out and then kill their overlord.(ie Q2). As for MP I kinda wished they just made MP Q2 style, I didn't like Quake 3 too much. Q2 CTF was teh best. And action quake 2 was the best mod EVAR.

Hopefully we can get some good mods out for this game, as mods are the best thing from the Quake/HL series :)

The game has looked rather mediocre to me since i first started seeing screenshots and reading info.

The only reason people are hyping it is because its Quake.

Cali3350 said:
The game has looked rather mediocre to me since i first started seeing screenshots and reading info.

wow!

the gameplay video looks very promising ot me. The review sites are grading it pretty harshly mostly because its not "quake" to them! .

screw the sites. From the looks of it i might just buy this game along with COD2

Seemed like the reviewer made up his mind about the game long before reviewing it and dear lord that is some craptastic writing.

If its the same fast paced gameplay is the other Quakes, im all over it. I could give 2 shits about these reviews im still buying the collectors edition. I love Quake.

oh yea. very true lord of shadows. i agree.

You know.... SS2, what I have played of it, is better than a 6.9 easily. There is no love for DM and frantic-ness anymore. I like gamespot, but this is probably the game I have with the lowest rating there.

I can't wait for this game to bomb. I will buy it and hope to enjoy the single player. I hope it has alot of action and the good old rail gun. Does it have coop/? I don't think it does. ....

Mp is gonna be the biggest let down ever. I mean really? 9 maps? They better release a big map pack for it. I think q2 had more mp maps then that... but then again all aynoe never played was edge..... sooooo i guess all they have to do is make one good map and all those quakers will play it to death. The reviewer said something about unreal tourney maps being alittle over the top but i love that. Better then just a bland map

Looks good, sounds good to me. I'm down with a blast-everything-that-moves kill festival with objectives, that's all Q1 and Q2 were anyways - Q2's SP campaign being my favorite aspect of it.

Also, did I understand correctly hearing you always have infinite ammunition? That's great. I hate an FPS where the challenge is rooted in the economy of your firepower, rather than your reflexes. I always put in the infinite ammunition cheat anyways, heh.

"So, what you're saying, is that you just want to blast stuff, huh?"

Yeah, your damn right.

I think the biggest reason we're seeing less and less maps is because it costs so much to produce them now. The level of detail has just sky-rocketed in this new generation. Now single models are having the same number of polygons as a whole levela in UT2003. Thus, it requires alot more time and money.

You have to love IGN.. they already have user ratings posted even though the game isn't released until the 18th.. :rolleyes:

That has to be one of the worst reviews I've ever read.

I mean, seriously. He talks about the terrific single-player game, which isn't perfect but is great from what he stated, but then goes to say that the multiplayer portion of the game is a letdown because it only ships with 9 maps??
Uh... how many maps was he expecting? 50?

9 is good enough for me. To be honest, I'm not even looking forward to playing the Quake 4 multiplayer. I'm in it for the single-player. I despised Quake III due to the fact that it was just multiplayer with no story like Quake II had.

And supposedly this single-player lives up to Quake II's... so wtf?
Is multiplayer THAT important? I remember the days when multiplayer was regarded as a bonus, rather than something quinessential for a game to be shipped with.

Either way, the mod community is certain to make new maps in time.... yet the "Lasting Appeal" was given just a 7 or something? Looks like he forgot to factor the mod community in.

What a joke.

why don't we just admit it, we will all buy it, regardless of it being shit in a box or not. :rolleyes:

Who cares if multiplayer comes with only 9 maps. I'd rather have 9 quality maps rather than 20 crappy ones. Let's be honest here, even out of that 9, only 1 or 2 will become community favorites for Team DM or 1v1 DM.

What I think we should all be hoping for is that the Quake Community comes through with map, mod, and model creations. What made Quake great was the level of involvement of the community. Modified sounds, skins and user created maps gave everyone that sense of community that is so sorely missing in today's games.

I don’t understand this review; the guy criticizes the game for being heavy in the single player department. Was he living under a rock? since Quake 4s conception the developers have repeatedly said it was going to focus very heavily on single player, and continue the Quake 3 tradition of multiplayer. His own review seems to indicate they delivered on the promise.

He focuses entirely too much on the multiplayer, and doesn't seem to realize the real multi-player is going to come in the forum of Quake wars. The developers promised classic quake death match and delivered.... So what’s the problem?

k1pp3r said:
personally, havn't played Q4 but i think the 6 on the SS2 is about right

I do too, although I "might" be willing to go so far as to call it a 7 if the co-op part turns out to work really well.

Is everyone's SS2 "review" in this thread based on the demo? Well, those agreeing with or commenting on the real ones out there.

Most of the games in there 6 range aren't even enjoyable. I mean damn give it the +.1 to save face for it. How slick is the coop and stuff, I mean damn.

I didn't mean to try and derail the thread with my SS2 comments. Just commenting on it seems twitch shooters are getting bagged on.

I could care less how many maps the game ships with. Hell, I can't remember the last time I played a standard Q3 map. That's the single best thing about the Quake series-the community. This games MP could be a total POS and it really wouldn't matter. Within afew months the mod community would get it straight ;)

Oh, just to get people in the mood for Quake4, "Get Quaked 3" was released. Holy crap! Best game vid I have EVER seen.

http://own-age.com/vids/video.aspx?id=6212
(direct link)
http://files.filefront.com/GetQuaked3/;4247670;;/fileinfo.html

maybe I should have made a thread just about this, I think the flick is just that good....

talley said:
why don't we just admit it, we will all buy it, regardless of it being shit in a box or not. :rolleyes:

I can see it now: YOu get back from the store with your Quake 4 box and open it only to find an old turd.

Kevl4R said:
Who cares if multiplayer comes with only 9 maps. I'd rather have 9 quality maps rather than 20 crappy ones. Let's be honest here, even out of that 9, only 1 or 2 will become community favorites for Team DM or 1v1 DM.

What I think we should all be hoping for is that the Quake Community comes through with map, mod, and model creations. What made Quake great was the level of involvement of the community. Modified sounds, skins and user created maps gave everyone that sense of community that is so sorely missing in today's games.

I agree. With UT2004 there are only a handfull of maps I care for and play regularly. Since Doom 3 has been around awhile and there has been a good deal of modding done for it, I would hope since Quake 4 is the next big thing, we'll get some great mods after the fact. The mod community can make a mediocre game great.

Anyone who's played Klingon Academy and the mods for it knows what I am talking about.

from the screenies in that review, it lookes like Doom 4 really...i mean look at the picture with teh computers! That kinda sucks that they couldnt make it completely different, but i will have to play it before i can really comment on that.

i dont care if it looks like doom 3 aslong as the multiplayer is good and balanced then it will kickass no matter what.

t3mp said:
Oh, just to get people in the mood for Quake4, "Get Quaked 3" was released. Holy crap! Best game vid I have EVER seen.

quake 3 movies = omg

you gotta see AnnihilatioN its rediculous

t3mp said:
I could care less how many maps the game ships with. Hell, I can't remember the last time I played a standard Q3 map. That's the single best thing about the Quake series-the community. This games MP could be a total POS and it really wouldn't matter. Within afew months the mod community would get it straight ;)

http://own-age.com/vids/video.aspx?id=6212
(direct link)
http://files.filefront.com/GetQuaked3/;4247670;;/fileinfo.html

maybe I should have made a thread just about this, I think the flick is just that good....

Thats some amazing rocket skill, quake3 is truly one of the greats.

Cali3350 said:

Do you know why people are hyping it because it's Quake? Because people like Quake. This game is Quake. People who like Quake will like this because it's Quake. If you don't like Quake, then you won't like this game because it's Quake. :p

Ron1jed said:
I can't wait for this game to bomb. I will buy it and hope to enjoy the single player. I hope it has alot of action and the good old rail gun. Does it have coop/? I don't think it does. ....

Mp is gonna be the biggest let down ever. I mean really? 9 maps? They better release a big map pack for it. I think q2 had more mp maps then that... but then again all aynoe never played was edge..... sooooo i guess all they have to do is make one good map and all those quakers will play it to death. The reviewer said something about unreal tourney maps being alittle over the top but i love that. Better then just a bland map

You are fuckin amazing son... I have yet to see another person on this forum so determined to insult anything quake and praise everything UT.... Dude, how is it, that every single post you make is the exact same... you say something along the lines of how great UT is and every single UT game prior to UT, then continue to bring up 1 of the quake games and bash it in comparison without ANY facts, or an intelligent or logical reason... Ron1jed you are the definition of a "Quake vs. UT Flame". :rolleyes:

As far as any Quake 4 review? I personally hope every Quake 4 review is crap so all the shitty skilless sheep don't come flying in, bitch about it, then hit the forum about it, then hack the shit out of it and head back to their crowded, laggy, poor excuse for a FPS game they have been playing for the past 8 years, like they contstantly and repeatedly do...

Back