Quake 4 or Doom 3, which will steal the mod spotlight?

Which will have more mods?

• Quake 4

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • Doom 3

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I support the gamer-ing revolution!

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters

BassTek

Supreme [H]ardness
With the release of Quake 4, we have a bit of new ground ahead of us. The previous 3 were all new engines, wheres the 4th is actually a mod of the Doom 3 engine. This brings up an interesting question, will most of the mods continue to come out for Doom 3, or will they be based on Quake 4? I personally think Quake 4 will get the mods since it's further along and should have more of a multiplayer functionality out of the box.

Please share your thoughts.

PS. I mainly want to keep this centered around the Doom 3 based games so I won't mention HL2 or Unreal in the poll.

It's the same engine. I don't see how there would be more mods for either games, as it is.. you know.. the same engine.

Yes, but HL2 and Vampire: Masquerade are the same engine as well and I doubt a HL2 mod would work for Vampire. Catch my drift holmes?

You still have to own a base retail copy to enable the mod on. I'm not talking about commercial total conversions here, I'm asking which retail game will have the most free mods based off it.

Quake 4 is the same engine as doom 3 with some tweaks, they aren't as different so mods from D3 should be much easier to adjust to work in the newer version of the engine. Quake 4 4 teh \/\/1|\|.

Well since Quake4 uses the engine that Doom3 uses, isnt Quake4 then a mod?

eeyrjmr said:
Well since Quake4 uses the engine that Doom3 uses, isnt Quake4 then a mod?

Exactly, I'm trying to point out that this is the first Quake game without a new engine, so perhaps we won't see a huge number of mods for it. That's the point I'm trying to get at, but most simpletons can't get past the fact that they both use the same engine. Quake 4 is a modification of Doom 3, but it's a retail one. Once again I'm asking which will have the most community based free mods. Despite them both being the same engine they will still have separate mods based off the retail key you need to play the game.

Quake 4 is supposed to have optimizations done to the netcode to make it leaps and bounds above the crappy code that came with Doom 3 so I would imagine it will end up getting more mods.

nigerian_businessman said:
Quake 4 is supposed to have optimizations done to the netcode to make it leaps and bounds above the crappy code that came with Doom 3 so I would imagine it will end up getting more mods.

Finally a real answer! Please don't scam me out of my laptop.

heh dumb poll.. I was a mapper for doom 3 fortress, probably one of THE most anticipated mods for D3 and it went south.. The #1 reason is due to it's netcode and the player limitations.. people want huge games with many players, so at this point in the game I don't see any decent mods coming out for D3, as for Q4's improved netcode.. noone knows for sure yet but I presume, and hope, a lot more mods come out for it.. and as for fortress, they are back working on it for Q4 :)

Techx said:
heh dumb poll.. I was a mapper for doom 3 fortress, probably one of THE most anticipated mods for D3 and it went south.. The #1 reason is due to it's netcode and the player limitations.. people want huge games with many players, so at this point in the game I don't see any decent mods coming out for D3, as for Q4's improved netcode.. noone knows for sure yet but I presume, and hope, a lot more mods come out for it.. and as for fortress, they are back working on it for Q4 :)

That's sure a lot of typing and effort dedicated to such a dumb poll. :confused:

It's not an option, but I would vote for Enemy Territory 2:Quake Wars

TheScott2K said:
Quake II did not use a new engine. It was GLQuake with some extra bits.

I suppose, but it was new enough to warrant 'new engine' status considering the orignal quake engine didn't even support 3d cards. Plus there was still a product called the 'Quake 2 engine' that developers could license.

IcedEmotion said:
I suppose, but it was new enough to warrant 'new engine' status considering the orignal quake engine didn't even support 3d cards. Plus there was still a product called the 'Quake 2 engine' that developers could license.

Anyone licensing the Quake engine got the Quake II features after Q2 was released. "Quake II Engine" was merely a way to refer to games whose developers worked in the changes. And the implementation of native OpenGL support would hardly warrant referring to it as a "new engine." Texture filtering and colored lighting are great, but hardly a revolutionary overhaul to the code.

TheScott2K said:
Anyone licensing the Quake engine got the Quake II features after Q2 was released. "Quake II Engine" was merely a way to refer to games whose developers worked in the changes. And the implementation of native OpenGL support would hardly warrant referring to it as a "new engine." Texture filtering and colored lighting are great, but hardly a revolutionary overhaul to the code.

I see your point and would like to subscribe to your weekly newsletter kind sir. The lighting might not be worth revolutionary changes to the code, but it would be in terms of gameplay and marketing.

QUAKE 4 IS DOOM 3. I have been praying to the gaming gods that carmack actualy listens to the people that play his games and makes quake 4 a fun game to play.. BUt i have that feeling that don't care and the only thing that is controling them is money. Quake sold out and will be horrible using a dam x box controler!! :mad:

Ron1jed said:
QUAKE 4 IS DOOM 3.

Cool, so does that mean I can play Quake 4 mods with my copy of Doom 3? I highly doubt that so they are different, despite using the same engine.

IcedEmotion said:
I see your point and would like to subscribe to your weekly newsletter kind sir.

Enjoy.

As much as my instincts tell me not to, I can't help but be optimistic about Quake 4. I enjoyed Doom3 more than a lot of people, and the idea of it with some more lights on and a world populated with some more friendly (and useful) NPCs sounds really great to me. Plus, the shots of some of the exteriors looks really cool.

Quake4 seems like the obvious choice. For starters, Doom3 is seriously lacking in mods and the multiplayer sucks. Quake built its reputation on being a great multiplayer game. One can only hope they continue that trend, and we all know multiplayer gaming is what drives the most mods. Especially when a game has a great SDK and is popular.

IcedEmotion said:
Exactly, I'm trying to point out that this is the first Quake game without a new engine, so perhaps we won't see a huge number of mods for it. That's the point I'm trying to get at, but most simpletons can't get past the fact that they both use the same engine. Quake 4 is a modification of Doom 3, but it's a retail one. Once again I'm asking which will have the most community based free mods. Despite them both being the same engine they will still have separate mods based off the retail key you need to play the game.

Just because a game uses the same engine, doesn't mean that mods will work on both, and it certainly doesn't mean that Quake 4 is a "mod" either.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Just because a game uses the same engine, doesn't mean that mods will work on both, and it certainly doesn't mean that Quake 4 is a "mod" either.

That's why I made this poll, I never thought this would be so complicated. I've been pointing out that the mods will not work for both all along. :confused:

Quake 4 isn't a mod, you're right. It's a game based off the Doom 3 engine like I said previous. I just wanted to point out that each of the 3 previous quakes used new technology, whereas this one is the first to bring nothing terribly new to the table. (well quake 2 didn't really as well, thanks to one user pointing out the error).

It's kind of sad that my gamer-ing revolution has more support than Doom 3.

IcedEmotion said:
That's why I made this poll, I never thought this would be so complicated. I've been pointing out that the mods will not work for both all along. :confused:

Quake 4 isn't a mod, you're right. It's a game based off the Doom 3 engine like I said previous. I just wanted to point out that each of the 3 previous quakes used new technology, whereas this one is the first to bring nothing terribly new to the table. (well quake 2 didn't really as well, thanks to one user pointing out the error).

If they can tune the gameplay physics right to where it gives something similar to Q3 and UT2004, then it will be a success. If for no other reason than UT2004 and the other games are getting stale.

Back