Quadro 4000 and GTX580 together?

Twright

n00b
With a triple monitor setup (20"x30x20"),

Can the quadro 4000 run the primary 2560x1600 dell u3011 while a GTX580 runs the two 20" screens?

Will the quadro and geforce drivers have issues together as separate devices?

Whats the best way going about this.

I would also like to be able to put the 30" on the GTX580 if i decided to play some games? Would it work?

taylor

The drives won't have an issue. To put the 580 on the primary 30" you would have to switch the cables.

The downside is that special Quadro driver features/acceleration are disabled if you have both a Quadro and Gefroce card installed. Basically the Quadro will act as a Geforce. I've not tried it, but I seem to remember reading that on the NVIDIA forums.

The downside is that special Quadro driver features/acceleration are disabled if you have both a Quadro and Gefroce card installed. Basically the Quadro will act as a Geforce. I've not tried it, but I seem to remember reading that on the NVIDIA forums.

Ended up finally getting a couple of 580's and needless to say my quadro 4000 is now running the latest geforce driver :rolleyes:

Wish i could figure out a way to change that since i'm assuming my quadro is now worthless at its intended job.

ohh well.

T

For what reason? The 580 outperforms the quadro
MPEGains.png

At first I thought your chart was saying that a GTX 570 is faster than a GTX 580 at whatever it is showing, but now I see that chart has more than one variable going on and I don't understand what the 10.8x vs 11.4x stuff is. Also, I question whether the GTX 580 and Quadro 4000 have equivalent CPUs and RAM in that chart.

What software are you using the Quadro for? Not all CAD programs require the specialized Quadro drivers to perform properly. You should compare the performance and function of the software between the two drivers.

There's the option of dual-booting another instance of Windows, to have one for work and another for gaming with different software/hardware configurations.

As for that benchmark chart, since those scores are averages of different machines, the blue bars are not directly comparable, and seem to indicate, for example, that the 580s have relatively more powerful CPUs than the 570 platforms and therefore provide less of a performance increase.

This review at AT will give everyone a better idea of the difference between the Quadro and Geforce lines:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon 64 X2 5000+ - ADA5000IAA5CS (ADA5000CSBOX).html

This quote sums it up pretty well:

"Well, right off the bat, the most amusing thing is the way the Quadros just mercilessly brutalize the GeForce GTX 580. Without the OpenGL optimizations the Quadros benefit from, the GTX 580 lags horrendously behind even the lowly Quadro 600. Those of you looking to build a workstation for 3D modelling on the cheap would do well to pay attention here: a $170 Quadro will generally murder a $400+ GeForce, let alone anything slower, and it stands to reason the competitively priced AMD FirePro cards will offer similar advantages over garden variety desktop cards."

Of course keep in mind he was talking about a CAD benchmark there. The quadro 600 got murdered in gaming.

At first I thought your chart was saying that a GTX 570 is faster than a GTX 580 at whatever it is showing, but now I see that chart has more than one variable going on and I don't understand what the 10.8x vs 11.4x stuff is. Also, I question whether the GTX 580 and Quadro 4000 have equivalent CPUs and RAM in that chart.
There is no contest IMO. The Quadro might be a great CAD solution, but the GTX 580 trumps it by a factor of two in raw encoding power.

This review at AT will give everyone a better idea of the difference between the Quadro and Geforce lines:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon 64 X2 5000+ - ADA5000IAA5CS (ADA5000CSBOX).html

This quote sums it up pretty well:

"Well, right off the bat, the most amusing thing is the way the Quadros just mercilessly brutalize the GeForce GTX 580. Without the OpenGL optimizations the Quadros benefit from, the GTX 580 lags horrendously behind even the lowly Quadro 600. Those of you looking to build a workstation for 3D modelling on the cheap would do well to pay attention here: a $170 Quadro will generally murder a $400+ GeForce, let alone anything slower, and it stands to reason the competitively priced AMD FirePro cards will offer similar advantages over garden variety desktop cards."

Of course keep in mind he was talking about a CAD benchmark there. The quadro 600 got murdered in gaming.

i can still see the envelope with a nvidia badge in his pocket after seeing that review.

Quadro 600 will spit out artifacts like crazy when its Vram limit gets hit.
The Quadro 4000 a GF 100. Basically a Gtx 460 UNDERCLOCKED with more Vram. And its not even ECC ram and has half the amount of shaders the 580 has. I smell BS. OF course hours of rendering will turn them into a hot box cause they're faster clocked. Bet he didn't look after his cooling.

Back