Quad-SLI on your dual/quad?

Order

Gawd
Has anyone tried the quad-SLI on a system that don't have the CPU bottleneck?
I'd be interested in seeing unencumbered benchmarks.

I didn't think you could buy Quad SLI cards yet.

Plus, there is always a CPU limitation in computing, so I am not sure what you mean by that. Dual Opteron 254's would be the fastest AMD gaming solution in the MP world, but I think that with Quad-SLI you'd always be CPU limited. Regardless of the CPU you are using.

Two of those Asus Dual-GPU cards don't work, then? (Something to do with lack of SLi bridge or something?) I thought THG got two of 'em working somewhat with some beta drivers.

You'd have to wait for a Quad SLI board to come out with multi sockets. Only one I've seen is a gigabyte board, single socket though.

Dual GPU cards require a 16x electrical. Depending on GPUs, you do not need the SLI bridge on an nForce2200/2050 board.
And that's all I'm gonna say for now besides 'been there done that.'
(EDIT) Dunno why I said physical.. *sigh* a little brainfried today.

well a board like k8we should be able to do quad sli... cuz all you need is 2 full 16x pcie lanes.

personally i am waiting for those quad sli cards to come out, and just buy one for my k8n-dl (only 1 pcie 16x lane). the mobo's been known to work in SLI with the asus dual 7800gt board even though again it only has 1 pcie 16x. thus it should work with 1 of those quad sli gpu boards (so only 2 cards)

thats only hope i have for dual gpu

movax said:
Two of those Asus Dual-GPU cards don't work, then? (Something to do with lack of SLi bridge or something?) I thought THG got two of 'em working somewhat with some beta drivers.

No they won't. Internally they are two 7800GT's in SLI. They have no SLI bridge connector.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
well a board like k8we should be able to do quad sli... cuz all you need is 2 full 16x pcie lanes.

personally i am waiting for those quad sli cards to come out, and just buy one for my k8n-dl (only 1 pcie 16x lane). the mobo's been known to work in SLI with the asus dual 7800gt board even though again it only has 1 pcie 16x. thus it should work with 1 of those quad sli gpu boards (so only 2 cards)

thats only hope i have for dual gpu

That's why I didn't buy the ASUS board. I'd rather lose my overclockability than go without dual video cards.

I can tell you that I will be one of the very first to run what I call the 4X4. I have a dual Opteron 880 rig (4 processors) and am just waiting for the video cards to get here....whenever that will be. On launch day, again, whenever that will be you will be able to ready about the 4x4 at Avault.

Highendtoys said:
I can tell you that I will be one of the very first to run what I call the 4X4. I have a dual Opteron 880 rig (4 processors) and am just waiting for the video cards to get here....whenever that will be. On launch day, again, whenever that will be you will be able to ready about the 4x4 at Avault.

guess you username is no joke ;)

Highendtoys said:

PLEASE keep us posted on your 4x4 :cool:

LOL, I knew that somehow Highendtoys would sense this from over at 2cpu and drop by to share his rig plans ;).

Highendtoys said:

LOL man that's ridiculous (of course I'm jealous)! Let us know how it goes...

Dan_D said:
No they won't. Internally they are two 7800GT's in SLI. They have no SLI bridge connector.
Ok. If the asus card is already sli, then how is it not quad sli when you put two of them together? I have a magazine that says they work (they don't need the bridge, although it would be even faster with one), and they too call it quad SLI.

You could run (if possible) 8 cards in the same system...but they would be useful for multi-monitors only, not SLi. Having multiple cards in system does not automatically equal SLi. With two Asus dual-GPU cards, you could probably run 4 monitors without SLi, or somehow hack it so one card is running SLi, and the other is not, but the fact remains that multiple cards do not necessarily imply SLi. SLi has to be enabled in drivers, and its only SLi when the cards are rendering graphics together.

To be honest the only thing holding it back is nVidia. Just as you cannot run SLI on CrossFire or CrossFire on nVidia chips, it all has to do with drivers and the BIOS. There is a patch floating around that will let nVidia cards work on ATI and Intel Chipsets but nVidia has really locked down their stuff so ATI cards will not work on them. It is the same thing with quad SLI, there is a Gigabyte board with 4 PCI E slots and also a dual GPU video card. nVidia did not want quad SLI to work that way and believe me, they heard about it in private discussions with reviewers and editors.

Either way, right now they only work with a hacked BIOS and/or driver. There was a review at Anandtech where they hacked something up to get it to partially work.

Maybe something will change by the end of the month with Quad SLI is available for the masses or maybe nVidia will write out support in the drivers.

I was hoping to have Quad SLI up and running now but I have been delayed just a little longer.

Order said:
Has anyone tried the quad-SLI on a system that don't have the CPU bottleneck?
I'd be interested in seeing unencumbered benchmarks.

the cpu isnt the bottleneck. its the drivers. they are the mess ups on the quad sli system. if a single FX-57 can handle SLI, then im betting an FX-60 can handle quad sli. and yea quad sli isnt available off the shelf yet.

edit: ok i think some of you are kinda confused. quad sli is (total) 4 peices of PCB board each connecting to an SLI X16 slot, (making sure there are a potential for a full 32 lanes, it would run on 8 lanes each, but then each core is only getting four and that would be slower then AGP) and two bridges. core one is connected to the adaject core in the PCB beside it, and the core the bridge connects to, it does NOT have contact with the other core, as it is unnessiccary.

and yes in the eriler stages of sli, you could run two cards in sli on a cross fire mobo, someone actually did it with those cool looking MSI 7600GTS, didnt break any performance records, but he was on a system with an FX60 and the SLI system was absolutly convinced he was on an INTEL Pentium EE. it ran successfully in sli in all the games he ran.

What are you talking about slower than AGP? Each card gets a full dose of 8X PCI E bandwidth.

Back