Quad Sli : 2011 vs 1155

Angry

Limp Gawd
Alrighty guys. Im at a bit of a crossroads. Im close to getting a new , but slow progress, system build under way. I REALLY am shooting for at least tri, if not quad SLI.

My options kinda are, stick with 1155, and do incremental upgrades. Starting first with a GTX 670 next month, then a 3770k, then another GTX670, then a board upgrade to Z77 with support for Quad SLI. And then adding the last 1, or two 670s after that.

Or...

Snag a 2011 3820 from microcenter, then grab a X79 board with quad sli, and then start adding 670s from there. This would put be behind on actually getting the 670s.
Im guessing upgrading to Ivybridge-e at some point?

After all that, with either 2011 or 1155 setup, be it quad or tri SLI. Which would be more worth my efforts, the 1155 route which makes possibly makes the upgrade smoother, or the 2011 route which requires a whole new board and cpu. But could be better over all in the end?

Primary use, Gaming and a few VM testing, with some Linux cuda core coding. This will also be toted to a monthly LAN party. At least one 2560x1440 is a definite in the future.
Another reason I ask, is 1155 pretty much at the end of its life cycle? 2011 looks to have future Ivy Bridge and Haswell support.

don't forget about your power supply and cooling in there. seriously though, what has you so set on 4 video cards? 2 670's is going to be overkill for one monitor no matter the resolution AND you are going to be looking at the next best video card by the time you are rolling through your upgrades. does your board now support that 3770k you mention? i look on MSI's website for the board in your sig, and it only has 2nd gen processors listed under CPU support.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-GD65.html#/?div=CPUSupport

The last couple of BIOS updates list support for Ivy bridge.
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-GD65.html#/?div=BIOS

Why am I set on 3-4 670s?
Im not sure,I guess because Ive always been with these older generation cards.
Plus the wow factor at LAN parties.
My 4870x2 has seriously gotin old, and so has my Radeon 5830.
I starting regret trading off my 2600k for a complete core i7 920 setup.

Hence, the reason for this post, to get my mind made up.

Should I shoot for 2 670s, and a 3770k? I do plan on some benching.

i mean really, if you get "only" 2 670's, you could take the money you were going to put into those other 2 and get some monitors to do the surround gaming. get 3 1080p monitors and game at huge res with nice framerates instead of gaming on one monitor at ridiculous FPS. and as far as the i7, gaming doesn't use all those cores, you could opt for the 3570 and save some more dough and not be wasting all that power.

you didn't answer about your PSU, if you have a 4870x2, i'm guessing it'll support 2 670's, but you still might want to upgrade.

also, benching? leave that to the reviewers that get that hardware thrown at them. if you aren't going to actually use it, it's just going to sit there not doing anything and you'll have a paperweight using watts. look into upgrading other things, cooling, case, etc.

Sorry, Ive got this silverstone:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256045

It should be happy with dual 670s. I had planned on def upgrading it if it needed it.

As for tri monitors, Ive def considered it, but Ive also seen some of the issues one of my friends faces with his Eyefinity setup. In getting certian games to play nice with it. Ive played on it and its sweet when it works. His biggest gripe has been the in game HUDs being way off to the left and right in some cases. Unless he finds a fix for it online somewhere. He has 3 Asus 23" mointors on a really nice monitor mount. Ive been an ATI guy for awhile, but I dont have a particular preferance. And full on, not hybrid, Physx would be nice.

Is Nvidia surround supported better?

Back