Quad Opteron [H]ard|Ness!!!

Unperson

[H]ard|Gawd
My company is going to be getting a Quad opteron box some time soon. Specs i know of are as follows:

4x Opteron 246
8GB PC2700 DDR
2x 36GB 15K SCSI drives

I already have some performance tests for internal company applications on the agenda. Any other ideas of what tests i should run on it? I doubt it will have the 8151 AGP chip so video/gaming related tests are probably out of the question. Let me know and i will post results!

Oh man I'm drooling!

SPEC maybe?
Dunno if sciencemark supports quad processors, and its not yet optimized for Opty's, but it might be interesting :)

Hmm gain physical access and load a couple F@H threads for the [H]orde.

The writer of this post does not condone theft of service or any other unauthorized tampering with company property outside of your jurisdiction.

Originally posted by Warriorprophet
Hmm gain physical access and load a couple F@H threads for the [H]orde.

The writer of this post does not condone theft of service or any other unauthorized tampering with company property outside of your jurisdiction.

The quoter of said post does, however :D

DO IT

Sounds nice! What company are you sourcing to for the motherboard on this nice little monster? I have an idea. Run Distributed.Net :D

yeah... but i still don't think it'll run doom 9 or half-life 12 at 3520x2303 with 214 FPS at 24xAA or 45x AF. :p

that's pretty ridiculously awesome though. definitely try and use it when it's not being used for the folding.

Stick a PCI GF4 MX440 in it and benchmark Quake3 Demo at 320x240 with R_SMP 1!

Uhm 246 is not 4 way CPU. You need the 446 or 846 Opteron. I haven't seen the 446 but I heard that it is out there. 846 I know for fact is around.

The first digit in Opteron naming scheem means what its SMP capabilities are

ie

140,142,144,146 = 1 Way (fx style) No smp
240,242,244,246 = 2 Way SMP
440,442,444,446 = 4 Way SMP
840,842,844,846 = 8 Way SMP

Then there is also the X48 I don't think * way has it tho

I have to admit if I were building any Opteron system the bare minimum RAM I'd put in there is what they recommend (DDR400/3200). You're spending so much on the damn thing already, you'd never notice. :)

Originally posted by Wrench00
Uhm 246 is not 4 way CPU. You need the 446 or 846 Opteron. I haven't seen the 446 but I heard that it is out there. 846 I know for fact is around.

Yep, if it's a proper four way he's going to need 8 series processors. In fact there's no such thing as a 4 series processor, the 8 series has three hypertransport links enabled while the 2 series have 2.

Rich :¬)

Sorry, correction. AFAIK it is using the 846 series processors. I will have to check for sure. I'm not building it myself, it is being sent to us from AMD as a test unit...

Originally posted by emorphien
I have to admit if I were building any Opteron system the bare minimum RAM I'd put in there is what they recommend (DDR400/3200). You're spending so much on the damn thing already, you'd never notice. :)
I second that. If you are going to spend the money get the PC3200. Correct me if I am wrong, but the perfomance increase is substainial due to faster ram and lowered latencies becasue things are running in sync.

I don't think the memory being in/out of sync is an issue when the controller is on the CPU, it just changes it's own internal timings to compensate. So, if you run with PC3200 you get 20% more bandwidth, everything else being equal.

Originally posted by Ravemaster Rich
I don't think the memory being in/out of sync is an issue when the controller is on the CPU, it just changes it's own internal timings to compensate. So, if you run with PC3200 you get 20% more bandwidth, everything else being equal.

Yeah.. but if you are buying 4 $900+ CPUs then whats a couple of dollars for better ram...

Yeah, I quite agree, just saying that 'sync' is not an issue. Do the 8 series processors officially support PC3200? It won't be much use to you if the bios of your board won't let you enable it....

This is sort of off the original topic, but my dad is recently put in an order for a Dell rackmount server. His main concern was not processor power, but fast storage space. This server is coming loaded with eight 146GB 10K hard drives ($10K machine, not desk). Now I was just wondering do any oem's offer an Opteron machine that is 4U or 5U or whatever and has that amount of storage. I think this is one of the first Dell's they have bought, all previous servers had been Compaqs. and sorry again from deviating from the topic.

Originally posted by Twister
Yeah.. but if you are buying 4 $900+ CPUs then whats a couple of dollars for better ram...

Is there Registered ECC PC3200+ DDR? (in large sizes, 1GB-2GB+ sticks)

I kinda doubt it. PC2700 is about as fast as you can get for high end server memory.

==>Lazn

What's this system being used for? ECC really isn't necessary 99% of the time unless it's a server box thats up all the time and you're worried about cosmic rays.

Originally posted by emorphien
What's this system being used for? ECC really isn't necessary 99% of the time unless it's a server box thats up all the time and you're worried about cosmic rays.

ECC and Registered is often a requirement on quad and dual server\workstation mobos period, there being no option for unbuffered RAM

which happen to be the case for my TYan K8W ;)

Registered will be required. ECC isn't necessary for anything unless you have a fear of fatal memory errors.

Originally posted by Wrench00

The first digit in Opteron naming scheem means what its SMP capabilities are

ie

140,142,144,146 = 1 Way (fx style) No smp
240,242,244,246 = 2 Way SMP
440,442,444,446 = 4 Way SMP
840,842,844,846 = 8 Way SMP

Then there is also the X48 I don't think * way has it tho

there is no 4xx series, they use the 8xx series for the 4-way computers...

Originally posted by Anarchist4000
Registered will be required. ECC isn't necessary for anything unless you have a fear of fatal memory errors.
That's completely true; but nowadays, most registered DIMMs have ECC also... :)

Back